General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

First Track Experience Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First Track Experience Question

So I need some opinions about my pending first track experience. I recently saw or noticed the Track Night in America. So looking at the event it is $150 for 3-20 minute sessions. I have wanted to take some driving instruction classes and get track time as a bucket list item is One Lap of America. For OLoA you need to have some track experiences so I figured I would start off slow. Entry with SCCA membership added on is $200, is it worth $50 for SCCA membership? Also, I will be buying a Bell Sport helmet with registration as they are pretty reasonably priced and I will need one for this and life. So that's the first question, SCCA membership or not?

Next, more complected question is what car to bring.
I have made a near duplicate post on my other active forum that I have been a member of, for the make of car that I am also considering bringing. I have my wife's 2015 MINI Cooper S. I have had 3 other MINIs before but they were mine so I knew how to drive them, this car rarely gets driven by my and when it does it is not quite as spiritedly. I knew those cars and the last one I could easily push it to 9/10 or 10/10 daily and know what it was going to do.
My DD is a 2012 CTS-V Wagon, stock with 32k mi and it is the most powerful vehicle I have owned. It's easy to drive a slow car fast. So the short question is, what car do I take?

MINI is pretty familiar to me, newest gen is a bit different, softer in the turns even with sport suspension and stock tires do not grip like my previous MINIs did with MPSS. It does not have the fat rear sway bar I was used to for trail-braking and lift-off oversteer. It is also probably cheaper to run, fuel, tires, brakes, more warranty, etc. But it is my wife's car and ultimately is she says no (doubtful) then it isn't happening.
The Wagon is my DD so I know it pretty well and it would be nice to apply the learned skills to the car I drive. But on the negative side, operating costs will be higher and the car is older (not old and still in warranty, but still a point).

Will the wagon tempt me into going too fast for a beginner? Will the MINI be pointless to hustle as it wouldn't see that unless I am driving, which is minimal, especially without the wife?

So what other factors am I not weighing in? Suggestions?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Drive the car you're most comfortable with. I'd go with the CTSVagon.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Laura & Gary
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My take on it is generally to drive the car that is worth less.... Most auto insurance does not cover any sort of track days (including drivers education events that are not timed).

SCCA membership would only be worth it if you plan on doing additional SCCA events, want their additional medical coverage, or if you want the monthly magazine.

How are your tires on the CTS-V? Last brake flush? Pads? I'm assuming the Mini is on the factory run flats which are not very fun on the track.

I think what you will be learning will apply to any car that you get behind the wheel of. Looking ahead, breathe, smooth inputs, etc.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
You can purchase trackday specific insurance for events like this.

Example: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

Old 04-07-2015, 06:38 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Something that people don't tend to consider is how the instructors feel about getting into a 570hp rocket with some newbie driver. I know quite a few instructors who won't instruct people in the faster cars because mistakes happen in a hurry at 140mph not to mention wheelspin coming out of slower corners sending people tank-slapping off into the trees/barriers. So consider that in the CTS-V the instructors are likely to be much more cautious about letting you wring the car out and you will probably learn more about vehicle dynamics driving the mini.

Also, like someone mentioned if you wad the car up into a wall you're paying for the whole repair out of pocket plus whatever fees the track throws at you. The mini will be cheaper to repair and if you do get track day insurance the track day insurance will be significantly cheaper.

In conclusion... you should sell me your CTS-V wagon and take the mini to the track day

Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 AM
blammo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with your insurance. I called mine (State Farm) before a track day, and they said it was covered as normal as long as it wasn't a competitive event. Since the only real "competition" is in lap times (and all passing is point by), I wasn't worried.

Also, I had a 2014 F56S loaner I took to the track a few months ago. It was no problem getting it to rotate with trail braking / throttle lift. I wrote up my experience in the General Discussion section in the 3rd gen forums. The auto is very easy to drive fast (especially for beginners), and the engine is very torquey compared with my R53. I had a great time with that on the track and never got passed. Better tires would have helped, but it was fun to push it past the limits of traction in a controllable fashion.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:19 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blammo
Check with your insurance. I called mine (State Farm) before a track day, and they said it was covered as normal as long as it wasn't a competitive event. Since the only real "competition" is in lap times (and all passing is point by), I wasn't worried.
FWIW I've never heard of someone having an on-track incident covered by their car insurance. That includes auto-x, track days, and drag strips. I personally wouldn't risk it.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Laura & Gary
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance varies from state to state on track day coverage. In the past 5 or so years, most have now excluded anything on a racing surface even if it is not timed or a race.

Don't trust your agent, read your full policy exclusions.

(I do have State Farm as well and in Texas I know that mine is excluded)

Old 04-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber
FWIW I've never heard of someone having an on-track incident covered by their car insurance. That includes auto-x, track days, and drag strips. I personally wouldn't risk it.
Well, I did
I received a handsome payment. But suspect that they won't do that again. I filed a claim on the gamble that they might pay and it paid off. Explained that it was a driver's education class and had an in car instructor (all true) and they accepted it.

However, now I get the Locton insurance...

A very wise person told me that you should never take a car onto the track that you can't afford to loose either financially or emotionally...think about it.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 04-10-2015 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo