R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Anti-Theft protection isn't a standard feature?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 AM
klopus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anti-Theft protection isn't a standard feature?

Hi all. It's my first post here so please bear with me.

I'm contemplating getting Countryman S and was working through the MINI configurator and online pricing engines. This thing is expensive and seems to be selling at MSRP making it in the same league as BMW 128i and Audi 3.

Anyway, I noticed that there's an $500 "Anti-Theft Alarm System" optional package. Any other recent car I had, even mundane Golf, had anti-theft protection standard. Does this mean that without this package MINI is basically has no protection or the package is just some icing on the cake like "Comfort Access Keyless Entry"?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by klopus
Does this mean that without this package MINI is basically has no protection?
Well, it has door locks.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM
klopus
1st Gear
Unhappy

Originally Posted by chrunck
Well, it has door locks.
LOL! But, really, I mean there's no engine immobilizer or no alarm if car gets improperly unlocked? It's kinda strange to have keyless entry as standard but no standard basic anti-theft protection both of which usually go hand in hand.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep security is a $500 add on. Our previous mini had no security and we had no problems for the 5 years we owned it.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Ryanzak
2nd Gear
The vehicle has a basic immobilizer/anti-theft device, the alarm is just a tilt sensor and motion sensor etc etc... There is a rolling code in the key that changes every time u use it even without the alarm. It is the same Semens system used in the BMW, Had an a3, and it just beeped for you when you locked the doors.. Hardly an alarm. I'd say, if you live in a place where wheels are often stolen, maybe a tilt sensor is for you.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:36 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The alarm system is optional on all MINI and most BMWs. The immobilizer is the smartchip in the key. It won't do anything against someone breaking into the car, but without the key it is very difficult to actually drive off with the car. Car thefts of MINI/BMW typically involve towing or theft of the key.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lindseybp
Yep security is a $500 add on. Our previous mini had no security and we had no problems for the 5 years we owned it.
LOL! But, really, I mean there's no engine immobilizer or no alarm if car gets improperly unlocked? It's kinda strange to have keyless entry as standard but no standard basic anti-theft protection both of which usually go hand in hand.
No it has an engine immobilizer without the alarm, it has a chip in the key, the car basically can not be started (without extensive part replacement in a shop) without it. Alarms in this day and age are pretty useless, aside from smash and grab, and even then when was the last time anyone paid attention to an alarm going off. Chances are even if someone breaks in and grabs something by the time you hear the alarm going off they are gone. The vast majority of car thefts occurs when the thief either has the key or the car is flat bedded off, in either case an alarm will be of no help. Like Lindsey said I had my R56 for three years no alarm living in NYC, and never had an issue.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:33 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Probably just as important is to never leave anything of value in plain sight in your car.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would say the starship enterprise fob and docking station standard feature make it pretty theft proof. And as stated above noise alarms are a nuisance and ignored.

Spend your $500 on the Xenon lights, no that's money well spent. We also like our rear fog lights, great to switch on for tailgaters.......

Live long and prosper!

Last edited by MCS Fever; 03-20-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
We also like our rear fog lights, great to switch on for tailgaters.......
No rear fogs on US CM.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
klopus
1st Gear
I still will get Alarm package since I'll save more on the auto insurance discount.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Rev. MINIstry
1st Gear
I still will get Alarm package since I'll save more on the auto insurance discount.
Did you do the math to determine how long the discounted amount in your scenerio will take to neutralize the $500 expense?

I would advise to check with your auto insurance carrier and/or shop around. The discount IS available without the $500 audible alarm.
There IS "anti-theft" standard on the vehicle as stated previously.

My 2cents: Dont waste ur $ on an audible alarm for all the reasons stated previously. Get wheel locks from MINI (as the key is specific to your wheels) and spend the remaining $435 on all the mods you are certain to make!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
I save a whole $18 per 6 mos. on my insurance for the anti theft on my Audi, at the same rate alarm would pay for itself in about 13 years

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
klopus
1st Gear
You guys are right - I checked my policy and it's not worth it.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
arrested_cloud
2nd Gear
Since almost every post is against an alarm system. Here is why I am getting it. I know alarm systems are not worth it, some one actually broke into my car with an alarm activated, fortunately it was a repo guy who mistook my car.
But I digress, I like the knowledge that my doors are locked. The car without the alarm makes no sound at all to indicate that the doors are locked. Second day I owned the car I had not shut the passenger door completely. I hit the lock on the fob and left for work. When I came back I pressed unlock and then lock again, accidentally, and for some reason the interior lights would not go out. I looked through the manual, pushed every button and nothing happened. After 20 mins, I was like screw this and put it in gear to drive away. As I pulled away the display showed that the door was open. Now every time i lock the car i have to peer into the windows to make sure the dome light goes off before i walk away.
Now 500 bucks offers me the piece of mind that i know that when i lock the doors that it actually is locked, for the life of the car, i think it is worth it. Most people might say that this is a ridiculous thought process, but to each his own !

Last edited by arrested_cloud; 03-20-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
First....that pic of the countryman is hawt hawt hawt.

Second, the alarm system isn't worth the extra money as people already stated above.

Third, if you are compulsive about locking the car just think. When you lock once the car is locked....riiight well the second time you hit the button the dome light comes on and is proof that it's locked.

In all honesty....if someone wants to break into the car they will. I remember some Evo guy in the Mitsubishi forums posting how someone(s) totally stripped the inside of the car in his parking lot. Alarm or not people steal.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can hear the doors lock just fine - although I cannot hear some crickets.

I like the fact there's no horn blast - talk about an annoying thing to have a horn blast at you everytime a car locks - especially when it's someone else's car. Although MINI could give you the option - GM cars let you choose and set horn or no horn, length of time exit lighting stays on etc.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 AM
lindseybp
5th Gear
Ughh horn blasts are the worst when locking/unlocking. The mini lock/unlock is an electronic beep.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Rev. MINIstry
1st Gear
Another anti-alarm post:

This is my third MINI. My Clubman S had the alarm system installed.
Here are my dislikes:
Expensive. Way overpriced.
Alarm falsely activates if sunroof open (in any position) and a leaf lands on the mesh as it's a motion sensor as well.
Anything you leave in the car cannot move or it will sound the alarm (think: pets, baloons, wind blown papers, etc)
The audible sound when arming - it calls out: "hey, there's something of value in THIS car, so break into me first. Heck, you'll be gone before anyone reacts to it anyway..."
Audible car alarms DO NOT provoke responses from anyone.
I walked up to my car in a parking garage once with the alarm going off and a small group also walking by stated "thank god" when I was within range to disarm it. There was no concern for my vehicle - they were annoyed by the sound...

My 2 cents - Remember when you had to insert a key into a door after you got out to lock it???
Be responsible.
...and spend $500 elsewhere!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
I live in Jersey City and nobody is stealing a MINI...

1. Nobody knows how to use the stereo.

2. If I can't get parts...How are they going to fence parts?

3. With Japanese parts in short supply...guess what cars are first and in high demand.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Toad S
Neutral
The MINI has a default anti-theft... BTW

Due to faulty boot gate handle, I locked my keys in the car after a bike ride. After 2.5 hours in a bar, waiting for locksmith... a redneck with a wedge and a bar showed up. His slim Jim wouldn't work... The anti theft went like this:
1: slimjim failed as even though he found the link-bar, the door locks are on a solenoid. So even if you pull the post up, the door won't let go.
2: Window wedged open, bar inserted and contorted to press the door unlock toggle. After several attempts, the 'locksmith' finally got toggle to move. I told him up or down as it's really a computer switch. Once he made actuation, the car taunted him. Dash light flashed as if to say "I hear you knocking..."
3. Finally with window still wedged, the only way in, was door handle. It's actually mechanical, even when locked. with the right vision from me on one side and funky bends in aforementioned bar and some tape on the end, we were able to pull the door handle and open the door.

The car still wont start without FOB, nor work the doors etc unlock.

So I had to climb into the car, over the stuff in the back and find my keys to drive.

It was comical, and a bonding experience with my TOAD S

Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
I agree its not cost-effective to buy the package. It would be nice if the LED light would flash on the dash though. Anyone know how to make that happen without the package?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Soonersdude
I agree its not cost-effective to buy the package. It would be nice if the LED light would flash on the dash though. Anyone know how to make that happen without the package?
Coding in NCS expert from another member or buy the cable and learn way more about you car than you thought you wanted to know.

Last edited by yetti96; 01-12-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Coding in NCS expert from another member of buy the cable and learn way more about you car than you thought you wanted to know.
I wish I could interpret this.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
yetti is suggesting that you either find someone who can program for you using NCSExpert or do it yourself. NCSExpert is software that can be used to "program" various features on MINIs. You can find more information in the Electrical forum for 2nd Gens.

Might be other options available to set the LED to flash using different software, but I think NCSExpert is the way to go for DIY. I had Way do some programming on my MINI (but not the flashing LED, though it was an option he offered), but I don't know whether he used NCSExpert or something else.

Quick Reply: R60 Anti-Theft protection isn't a standard feature?