FSP / DSP (Street Prepared) Am I gonna get stomped?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last season I ran GS on V700's. I'm thinking of doing a Borla Sport Exhaust and an Intake of some sort, along with Koni's all around. I want to keep running on the V700's which will make me ineligible for STX. I like my Azenis (I drive on them everyday), but I like the Kuhmo tires much better. So my question is this.. do I need to do more/different mods to be competitive in DSP? I thought about not doing the intake and staying in Stock, but I really want the intake...

TIA

David
-V--V-

Old 12-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
David,
If you are planning to run locally I say go for it. If you are looking to run at the National level....I'm sorry to say that you will likely get beat down :smile: The reason I say that is that my friend, and local competitor, David Fauth is the current DSP National Champion and just missed winning the Pro Solo season by a few tenths to Derek Butts in his awesome DSP IS300. Butts was 2nd at the Solo2 Nationals. These guys are awesome to watch drive, their cars very well prepared, and they both drive every event they can to get seat time.

One thing I learned in running STX this year was that I would likely move to coilovers were I to do it again. I ran a Koni/H-sport set up and I think that the coilovers (KW variant twos) that Courtney Cormier/Richard West had on the car were probably one of the best setups. They, specifically Courtney, had a huge amount of seat time in the car and experimented a lot with the set up.

I think that a DSP Cooper S would be a lot of fun but for me I opted for STX since the tires were cheaper and lasted a bit longer than the R Compounds. Late in the season I switched to 15" Kumho Ecsta MXs and really liked them (we were a two driver car and Falkens would overheat quickly on us). The 15" tires really added up to better gearing for 2nd gear, harder launches, and lowered the car even further.

If you followed Nationals this past September there was a COOPER S running DSP. It was a late entry by GRM and Yokohama driven by Alan Mccrispin and Howard Duncan. It didn't do all that well but in talking to Alan he was doing the initial setup of the car only a couple of days before the event so it was really the first time he had driven it.

One of the things I like about Solo2 is seeing if you can take a car and make it competitive in a class where it hasn't been running. Given this I would say give it a try!

Mark

Old 12-30-2003, 09:16 AM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Thanks for the reply Mark! I've thought about STX, but I really like the V700s :smile: At a local level I think I'd do great. I'll probably steer clear of Nationals for awhile. I still get beat down in the SEDiv, I don't need to drive to Kansas to get the crap kicked outta me, I can get it done here. I do want to get away from GS and the likes of Robert Carpener (CRX), GH Sharp (Celica GT), and Britt Laughlin (MCS) 50% of the GS class at 2003 Nationals were in SEDiv...It's a rough crowd down here.

I drove on the Ecsta MX at a Kuhmo event, they loaned me a set to put on my MCS. I found out real quick, that they can't be cold. That was the only time I've ever spun my MCS. They were nice tires though. I still like the V700s

David
-V--V-

Old 12-30-2003, 10:13 AM
Mark
Ah yes...Steve Hoelscher, Carpenter, Sharp and the gang. All those guys are great drivers! You have a region like ours...lots of current and former National Champs to learn from. Unfortunately for the rest of us its usually a humbling experience :smile: I know that Hoelscher was making noises after Nats this year to be moved to a different class. The gap between him and the top two trophies was pretty big compared to next year. Perhaps this will clear the way for a good year in GS for other COOPER Ss in your area.

Related to your 2nd place regional finish for the year...did you send in your results to MINI USA? They should pay you $250 for this. Its not much but would definitely help purchase another set of R Compound tires. If you have be sure to take a look near the end of the full press release from MINI USA.

Mark

Old 12-30-2003, 01:43 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Ah yes...Steve Hoelscher, Carpenter, Sharp and the gang. All those guys are great drivers! You have a region like ours...lots of current and former National Champs to learn from. Unfortunately for the rest of us its usually a humbling experience
I don't feel too bad though. Our Division is VERY strong, so many of my friends are in the same boat with me...HS w/ Mark Chiles, SS w/Jerry Onks, AS w/Rob Falkner, BS w/Carter Thompson & Ian Stewart...Everywhere ya turn you're gettin spanked....

I'm just glad the Honda S2000 is in a completely different class....

I know that Hoelscher was making noises after Nats this year to be moved to a different class. The gap between him and the top two trophies was pretty big compared to next year. Perhaps this will clear the way for a good year in GS for other COOPER Ss in your area.
Dunno, maybe he was just mad SportsCar didn't pick him to win the class, much less trophy.

David
-V--V-

Old 12-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Mark

>>
Related to your 2nd place regional finish for the year...did you send in your results to MINI USA? They should pay you $250 for this. Its not much but would definitely help purchase another set of R Compound tires. If you have be sure to take a look near the end of the full press release from MINI USA.
>>
>>No, I didn't send that in. I'm pretty sure MINIUSA is only paying out for National & Divisional Level events. I did run Divisionals with MINIUSA.COM decals, but I was so far down on the results list it wasn't even funny.

Actually they are paying out for your finish in your region. Be sure to contact them immediately and make sure you get your info in. Their contingency program was pretty good since it extended to the regional level. It doesn't pay out for a Divisional event win but for the results for your overall placement for the season in your region. Given this you are eligable for a $250 award. Get your info and take advantage of that!

Mark

Old 12-30-2003, 04:38 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Well Kick *** Then. I'll be sending that in Pronto. Thanks!!!

David
-V--V-

Old 01-07-2004, 08:16 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Ok, so I'm a slacker and didn't send in my contengency info. It would have eventually paid for my new Alta intake... This season.. you betcha I'm running the MINIUSA.COM magnets again....with proper paperwork filled out... Now I'm just waiting on my Borla Sport Exhaust

David
-V--V-

Old 01-09-2004, 04:12 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
>>Last season I ran GS on V700's. I'm thinking of doing a Borla Sport Exhaust and an Intake of some sort, along with Koni's all around. I want to keep running on the V700's which will make me ineligible for STX. I like my Azenis (I drive on them everyday), but I like the Kuhmo tires much better. So my question is this.. do I need to do more/different mods to be competitive in DSP? I thought about not doing the intake and staying in Stock, but I really want the intake...
>>
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>David
>>-V--V-

The only thing you listed that would put you out of stock is your choice of air filter. Big deal. Why not just do the exhaust, konis and a drop-in filter and stay in GS?

Old 01-09-2004, 04:33 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
The only thing you listed that would put you out of stock is your choice of air filter. Big deal. Why not just do the exhaust, konis and a drop-in filter and stay in GS?
Uh.. I already did it... It sounds so sweet.... But seriously, I've thought about it. I wouldn't mind placing at Divisionals instead of getting my butt kicked. Anyone wanna buy a slightly (1 week) used Alta Intake w/Black Silicone Hose for an MCS?

For some reason I have this need to leave Stock. I don't know why. I came in Second place overall for GS last season (my first ever), I could probably win it this season. DWC's 1st post in STS has gotten me thinking... Thanks ALOT... Just when I thought I had it figured out. (who am I kidding? I still stab & steer) I think I need therapy. Is this why the off-season is known as "Silly Season"??

David
-V--V-

Old 01-09-2004, 04:47 PM
kramseib
3rd Gear
Yea, I feel like a good stomp!!!

Old 01-09-2004, 05:07 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
[cough]Bite Me[/cough}

-V--V-

Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Traveler
3rd Gear
Think twice before diving into Street Prepared. I've fallen into that trap before. It's always "one more mod" and pretty soon you have a car that is barely streetable. Save your money for entry fees. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:38 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
I'm starting to think that ditching the intake while doing the other mods is sounding more and morelike a better idea than keeping the intake and having to run in DSP.

Entry fees I have no problem with..Chair-ing events helps a bit with that... it's getting "the Boss" to let me cough up big cash for mods :smile:

-V--V-

Old 02-01-2004, 07:59 AM
BEANTIME
Neutral

Come on David,stay IN gs! Did'nt we have a butt-load of fun? I to wish i had a ton of money to put in my MINI,but after my "BOSS" found out how much i spent on r tires...well an LSD is not gona happen!! As far as them "other guys"..well i aim high!
somebody can beat them,so why not us?

Old 02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
I is I is. Sold the Alta Intake. Did you buy the Hoosiers?? PM me.

David
-V--V-

Old 02-01-2004, 09:08 AM
erik808
6th Gear
>>I came in Second place overall for GS last season (my first ever), I could probably win it this season.

===>Kick a$$ ...

Old 02-01-2004, 12:14 PM
BEANTIME
Neutral
Yes i did get the Hoosiers,but i have yet to see them,i order them last week but they have not made it to the house.I need to get them and "break them in" before i go get my butt kicked at the ProSolo in Atlanta! so who wants to bet i'll be dead last?

Old 09-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Kick *** Eric! I came in first.

Zak 04 MC CVT Auto, FSP No R Compounds on yet..hehe

Old 09-30-2004, 12:42 AM
erik808
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Maximusmini
I came in first.
Right on, Maximusmini! Congratulations:smile:. I hope to follow in your footsteps soon. Keep on kickin' tail, dude! Peace