R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Rock hit my windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:25 PM
mini jet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock hit my windshield

2012 Countryman S All4 with 119,000 miles and no more warranty. Driving behind a dump truck (really dumb of me) doing 70+ the interstate and a rock flew back.

There is a dime-sized area where both outside and inside surfaces are smooth to the touch but the middle is shattered. Should a replace it? Repair it? or Ignore it?

Took the car to a local glass repair place. They only want a few hundred to replace it. Or should I bring it to the dealer?

Any danger it can get worse while driving fast? We drive cross country (North - South) often.

Nothing but problems with this car and yet I still love it. Go figure.

Much appreciated!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
mikey_t
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
I assume you have comprehensive insurance on your auto policy. Weigh the cost of replacement vs your deductible and make a decision. Personally, when i had to replace mine a couple of years ago, i went thru insurance and took it back to the dealer for replacement as i didn't want an aftermarket windshield with the potential for sub-standard fit causing any water leakage into MINI's fragile electronics.

Last edited by mikey_t; 05-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:33 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
My '06 S has been peppered with rock chips (PO drove exclusively on the freeway). I had the most damaged area fixed for $50. After it was fixed, the shop said if I wanted a new windshield, it would be $150 (scam? Maybe!).

If you have the money, I'd have it replaced as soon as possible. If you're on a budget, get the major areas repaired (it'll still look bad but it shouldn't develop any cracks).

Our Mini's have a very firm suspension setup and over time, that rock chip will translate into a large crack across your windshield.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:34 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The local independent glass shop that I go to can install MINI brand windshields cheaper than the dealer does. Most dealers farm out glass installation anyway and then add their cut to what the customer pays.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 PM
mini jet
1st Gear
I was recently rear ended at a stop sign and had a huge claim on my insurance. Not sure I want to put in another or they are going to jack my rates.

I drive on horrible roads all the time. Can certainly afford to fix or replace the windshield. Calling Mini Dealer now to see what they charge.

Ugh - that 59mpg Hyundai Hybrid is looking pretty good. Would love to get to 150,000 first.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 PM
mini jet
1st Gear
$150 to fix. $450 plus labor to replace. They claim it's done 'in shop'. Think I'll have them repair it.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:50 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I've had at least 3 chips repaired and I've got a couple more that need repair. I've heard about too many leaking windshield replacement jobs so I'm trying to avoid it for as long as possible

Old 05-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had three windshields replaced on my 06 R50 by safelite...nothing substandard about them. They warranty their work and the only reason I've had to get the windshields replaced is where I live there are a lot of trucks on the roads...hazards of living in the south and in the country. $450 seems a bit high...Oh...zero deductible with my insurance...I just call and the insurance replaces it.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
The near vertical angle of the MINI windshield is what makes a stone collision so damaging. An independent glass shop in my area has replaced 4 on my '06 R52 and one on my co-pilot's '15 R60 all at $100 deductible. There has never been a problem with any of them except once a small 'leak' at the top that created a werewolf howl at high speed. He took care of it in 5 minutes and no charge. A good glass man is sure to be in your area if you seek him out.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
After getting a price of ~$400 from Safelite to replace mine, I called our local glass shop that's been in business for decades. They'll do a regular windshield for $230 and a rain sensing for $280.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
1. As mentioned few dealers or even body shops do glass work ... they farm it out.

2. I've had glass replaced in many of my cars, including MINI over the last 40 years and most of the time by SAFELITE. I had a problem with SAFELITE ONE time and one phone call had them right back out with all new parts and a total redo .... no questions, just apologies. My insurance routes a glass claim directly to SAFELITE .... you can override if you like. (I also appreciate that SAFELITE is a large company with many locations and performance MAY vary ..... but a complaint to corporate would bring action IF there was a local issue, IMO)

3. Glass is typically covered under 'comprehensive' (altho some companies require a completely separate "rider".) If you are covered under 'comp' and carry a deductible, especially a significant deductible, I suggest you call and ask what your rate change would be to change that deduct' to ZERO. Rate tables for comp' are WAY different from collision theft. I carried $250 deduct on comp' for 4 cars and asked "what's the rate change for a zero deduct' on comp?" It was WAY under $100 a year TOTAL. Having just changed a front glass and paid the $250 ........ duh ......

4. I was recently rear ended at a stop sign and had a huge claim on my insurance. Not sure I want to put in another or they are going to jack my rates. Should fall under completely different elements of your insurance ... but THAT depends on the quality of your insurance company ..... IMO if you are afraid to file a claim ... shop for new insurance.

5. Safelite will usually do the work at your house / work / or darn near anyplace else ....

6. You don't mention what state you are in, but in some states ... Florida is one .... if your glass is 'covered by insurance' - {you have comp'} no matter what deductible - insurance must replace the front glass and charge NO deductible. In other words, if you live in FL and have comp' which covers your glass and have a $250 deductible, insurance must replace broken front glass at ZERO cost to you ...... state insurance laws .... 'safety item'. I believe FL is not UNIQUE in this.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-16-2017 at 01:53 PM.