Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Coil Packs going out frequently

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Packs going out frequently

I have had my 2012 JCW r58 for about two months now. The first time I got the engine malfunction I replaced all the spark plugs and two coil packs and it fixed the issue.
A few weeks later it happened again and I replaced another coil pack and that fixed the problem. It was not the same coil pack that I replaced the last time.

Then it happened again at this point I have replaced all of the original coil packs.

Now today another coil pack that I replaced a few weeks ago went out. It is driving me insane. The car runs pretty hot it seems like on what I believe to be a water temp gauge.
But I am not sure what to do. I can't afford to keep replacing coil packs.
I keep back ups in the back of my car for when another one goes out.
The next thing that I am going to do is flush and put new coolant in the car.

If anyone has seen this happen before and has some suggestions please let me know. I don't drive the car super hard either.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
What brand are you replacing with? Is the car stock or modified?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Spark plugs or proper grounding are often to blame. Do you have correct plugs?

Old 07-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
What brand are you replacing with? Is the car stock or modified?
I am replacing the coilpacks with duralast coilpacks. I have replaced all of them at this point. The car is bone stock.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Spark plugs or proper grounding are often to blame. Do you have correct plugs?
I replaced them all with the advanced denso spark plugs. They were all that the store had in stock.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:05 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Beal
I am replacing the coilpacks with duralast coilpacks. I have replaced all of them at this point. The car is bone stock.

You should always install OEM Mini parts furthermore on a JCW because it needs more maintenance than the regular S.

Am I right Duralast is associated with Autozone store? I would never buy parts there.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
You should always install OEM Mini parts furthermore on a JCW because it needs more maintenance than the regular S.

Am I right Duralast is associated with Autozone store? I would never buy parts there.
Yeah they are autozone brand, I will most likely need to or them online. Do you think replacing everything with OEM will fix my issue?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Yeah they are autozone brand, I will most likely need to or them online. Do you think replacing everything with OEM will fix my issue?

In my opinion, Autozone parts are garbage and O'Reilly not even better. Again, the JCW is a performance engine. You cannot install cheap parts.

What is your mileage and when is the last time the engine has been serviced with new spark plugs?

Old 07-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Matt Beal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
In my opinion, Autozone parts are garbage and O'Reilly not even better. Again, the JCW is a performance engine. You cannot install cheap parts.

What is your mileage and when is the last time the engine has been serviced with new spark plugs?
My coupe has just over 40k miles. What is the normal temp run on your car? I have the celsius gauge on the left side of my steering wheel. I am not sure what that is for. It seems to jump around a lot but is alway at the high end of it.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:00 PM
dube53
6th Gear
My coupe has just over 40k miles. What is the normal temp run on your car? I have the celsius gauge on the left side of my steering wheel. I am not sure what that is for. It seems to jump around a lot but is alway at the high end of it.

I don't have the temp gauge accessory but I know this is an engine that runs hot at about 105-110 C depending of the climate where you live.

My spark plugs have been replaced at 18K and most recently at 35K but my engine is the N18 and has always been serviced at the dealer.

It seems strange to me that you had to replace the coil packs at a so low mileage, I have the feeling that your original problem was just the spark plugs that need to be changed more often on a JCW engine.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:43 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We see this issue with the aftermarket ignition coils on the N14 and N18 cars all the time. So that is why we only use and recommend the original MINI coils in our shop. They all look the same, but there is a quality difference. Plus we've also seen output tests showing the aftermarket put out less than the originals.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/direct...9-r60-r61.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Do they come with a warranty? Dont buy the delphi coils on amazon, they have bad fit as they are fatter. I'm trying bremi brand from pelicanparts, so far so good. On a JCW you should change plugs every 30k or sooner. These cars are high maintenance so decide if you wanna pay to play.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:30 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
When does one normally replace the coil packs? Mine are original. Spark plugs replaced at 26k by dealer.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:29 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Do they come with a warranty? Dont buy the delphi coils on amazon, they have bad fit as they are fatter. I'm trying bremi brand from pelicanparts, so far so good. On a JCW you should change plugs every 30k or sooner. These cars are high maintenance so decide if you wanna pay to play.

This is one more reason to buy only OEM parts........ most of the time, vendor parts don't fit and cause other problems.

As for the plugs, mine have been replaced on factory maintenance at 18K and lately at 35K a few weeks ago. The range seems to be more in the 15-20K.

As you said....... you need money to play LOL.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:58 PM
JCdubGerm
2nd Gear
First thing first you are using crappy replacements. Use OEM. Which faults are you getting? there are different types of misfire faults. If it happens again with oem parts time to start looking at possible bad wire harness , injectors, timing etc