Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Massive oil leak, took it to the dealer and they want to replace timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive oil leak, took it to the dealer and they want to replace timing chain

At a minimum charge of $2400. Car has 60k miles on it.

I'm not here to whine, but to find out if this is expected maintenance at this age. It seems unusual that I would need to replace a timing chain so early. The service advisor stated it stretched due to low oil, which was due to a leaky head gasket. The head gasket should last longer than 60k too, right? Am I SOL, or has anyone had luck pushing back and getting this covered, or at least discounted?

*EDIT* Ok, so I'm a moron and panicked posted, without reading other threads first. This is a 2009.

Last edited by robotrock; 04-29-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it a indie MINI repair shop around you. Expect to pay 1.5k including parts.. Like t/c kit and a new valve cover should you want to do out-of-pocket.

Check also if your warranty still covers it. Some opted for an extended warranty or 3rd part coverage. See if your vin # qualifies on the recall list.

Reach out to Helix13.com, had an excellent experience with those folks. Downside is, their out of town now because of MOTD in NC but will be back in business this coming Monday.

Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:13 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
In what world does a timing chain cost $2400 to replace? As others have said, find an honest mechanic elsewhere (Yelp) and expect to pay 1/3 or more less.

Sheesh; it's not like you're driving a B6 Audi S4:

Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by robotrock
At a minimum charge of $2400. Car has 60k miles on it.

I'm not here to whine, but to find out if this is expected maintenance at this age. It seems unusual that I would need to replace a timing chain so early. The service advisor stated it stretched due to low oil, which was due to a leaky head gasket. The head gasket should last longer than 60k too, right? Am I SOL, or has anyone had luck pushing back and getting this covered, or at least discounted?

*EDIT* Ok, so I'm a moron and panicked posted, without reading other threads first. This is a 2009.
The classic response from a shady dealership: BLAME THE CUSTOMER! Move on is my advice. Either a different dealership or indy.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:28 AM
robotrock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeygonz
Take it a indie MINI repair shop around you. Expect to pay 1.5k including parts.. Like t/c kit and a new valve cover should you want to do out-of-pocket.

Check also if your warranty still covers it. Some opted for an extended warranty or 3rd part coverage. See if your vin # qualifies on the recall list.

Reach out to Helix13.com, had an excellent experience with those folks. Downside is, their out of town now because of MOTD in NC but will be back in business this coming Monday.

Best of luck!
Thanks! I had originally taken it to my local shop, but said it required a special tool so he couldn't do it. He told me this would likely be covered under a TSB, which is the only reason I went to the dealer.

Downside is the dealer is 30 miles from home (where I work) and I'm paranoid the chain will disintegrate any minute now. To pour salt on the wounds, my wife and I just put a huge down payment on a home renovation construction project. Oh boy.

Anyway, thanks for letting me freak out a bit!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robotrock
Thanks! I had originally taken it to my local shop, but said it required a special tool so he couldn't do it. He told me this would likely be covered under a TSB, which is the only reason I went to the dealer.

Downside is the dealer is 30 miles from home (where I work) and I'm paranoid the chain will disintegrate any minute now. To pour salt on the wounds, my wife and I just put a huge down payment on a home renovation construction project. Oh boy.

Anyway, thanks for letting me freak out a bit!
One other resolution is to have it towed... AAA can do 100 miles free depending on your membership level.

The "special tool" costs $150-$175 that can eventually help him grow his business if you ask me which could also be a part of his fixed assets.

I was in the same situation and took a gamble.. drove the car to Helix in Philly from York where there is wall-to-wall stop and go traffic.

There is hope!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
RobertJ
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me, and the dealer replaced the timing chain under the TSB. Don't settle for anything less. Those tensioner bolts backing out and are a known issue. See my thread here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tensioner.html

Old 05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
MY MINI DEALER DID MINE FOR FREE - 11 JCW with only 36k. It may be part of the Mini campaign to replace the chain. They already acknowledged the chains suck. Priced out I came up with $1700 from a Mini shop in LA. At $2400 you're getting ripped.

The low oil is on you. Even with a gasket leak you should be checking that engine oil regularly. I think you aggravated a Mini problem so that's the out Mini might use to not back you up on this. May have to shell out but go to a reputable Mini shop.