Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

The Oil On My Dipstick Smells Like Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The Oil On My Dipstick Smells Like Gasoline

The oil on my dipstick smells like gasoline. Not always, but definitely quite often. Sometimes it's faint, while other times it's quite strong.

I tend to check my car when I get home from a drive.

Let me also say I don't normally smell my dipstick (that sounds bad) but the first time I noticed the odor, it was prominent enough that I could easily detect the odor without bringing the dipstick to my nose.

Has anyone else noticed this? Go ahead, check your dipstick. For experiment's sake check it after a brief spirited drive.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
how old is the oil? could be a number of things, but in general it's not a good thing. i'd get the oil analyzed if you're very concerned

Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
The oil is only a couple weeks old and my oil smelled the same before also. Car runs fine also and there is no colored smoke.

I guess I'm mostly hoping that other members can take a minute or two and go sniff their dipstick and record their observations in this thread. The topic has come up on NAM before and people have proposed differing theories and opinions on the matter but what I really want to know is, for the R56 is this a normal finding. If the majority of owners report that their dipsticks smell of gasoline that it would suggest my experience is normal.

So lets go everybody, go SMELL YOUR DIPSTICK!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Haven't done the smell test yet, but have a question for OP:
When do you get the smell, more after short drives or after long drives?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by biggripper
The oil is only a couple weeks old and my oil smelled the same before also. Car runs fine also and there is no colored smoke.

I guess I'm mostly hoping that other members can take a minute or two and go sniff their dipstick and record their observations in this thread. The topic has come up on NAM before and people have proposed differing theories and opinions on the matter but what I really want to know is, for the R56 is this a normal finding. If the majority of owners report that their dipsticks smell of gasoline that it would suggest my experience is normal.

So lets go everybody, go SMELL YOUR DIPSTICK!!!
everyone will have varying levels of fuel dilution based on a lot of factors. it should burn off if the car's getting long drives etc. you can get a lot of info about it on bitog. i'd go smell mine but the cars covered in snow :(

my evo used to have the smell of gasoline on the dipstick from time to time though. oil analysis will tell you how much.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
I had not yet occurred to me to make a distinction between long or short drives but I would guess it is typically after short drives because I rarely take long drives.

Today was definitely a short drive.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's what they say happens on short drives with a cold engine:
Engine does not fully warm up. Injected gasoline does not get fully combusted, part of it condenses on the cold cylinder walls and mixes with lubricant. This mix of oil with condensed gasoline washes down off the cylinder walls and is returned to the oil sump. Once the engine warms up the gasoline mixed into the oil does evaporate and burn, but if an engine is driven mostly on short trips, this won't happen and you get the gas smell in the oil. This is why mostly making very short trips does not do wonders for engine longevity.
There are a couple of things that might help with this: every now and then, try to drive the car a bit longer. Make sure the engine gets fully up to temperature. This will combust the gasoline in the lubricant. In a cold winter, this may take 15-20 minutes depending on driving style, just to fully get up to temp. I don't know how long it might take to then burn off the gas in the lubricant. My personal rule of thumb (since I also have a lot of short around town trips) is to once per week drive the car for at least 30 minutes. Also, on these 'burn the gas' drives, do not drive in sport mode, since sport mode lowers the engine temp set point on the S engine, which makes me think (and this is just my interpretation) that the higher engine temp (in non-sport mode) will burn off the gas quicker or more completely.

Last edited by Zephyr1; 03-03-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine does this as well because I drive less than a mile to work 6 days a week.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Thanks Zephyr, that makes sense.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 PM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
Here's what they say happens on short drives with a cold engine:
Engine does not fully warm up. Injected gasoline does not get fully combusted, part of it condenses on the cold cylinder walls and mixes with lubricant. This mix of oil with condensed gasoline washes down off the cylinder walls and is returned to the oil sump. Once the engine warms up the gasoline mixed into the oil does evaporate and burn, but if an engine is driven mostly on short trips, this won't happen and you get the gas smell in the oil. This is why mostly making very short trips does not do wonders for engine longevity.
That's also why, if your car (any car) sits for an extended period of time you should not go out just to start it. Either drive it long enough to get it hot, or leave it alone.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by biggripper
I had not yet occurred to me to make a distinction between long or short drives but I would guess it is typically after short drives because I rarely take long drives.

Today was definitely a short drive.
That explains it....
The oil never got up to normal operating temps to boil off the moisture and gasoline....
A longer drive or two should help...
But if you normally do short drives, be sure to change your oil more often....
The moisture and fuel sitting in the oil will use up the addatives in the oil...a oil sample test would report this as tbn...they would also report the % or parts per million of oil dilution from fuel and or water....
But mostly short trips meets the definition of severe duty....so more frequent oil changes should help.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
yep. it's why short drives are considered "severe service"

Old 01-19-2015, 09:58 PM
danraabe
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Gasoline smell in my oil

I read some threads on the gasoline smell after emptying my catch can. The garbage that poured out looked like diluted oil, smelled of gas and had something in it that looked like swamp water. The dipstick smelled of gas as well.

Just to be scientific I checked for odors in the oil of our Toyota Sienna and it smelled as well. Not quite as pungent as the Mini. But I drove the Toyota 150 miles yesterday. That should have burned off or evaporated most of the gas.

How can I get to the bottom of what's really going on? How can I get the oil tested?

Thanks.

BTW I have a blue Mini. Not sure if the color is the real problem...Ha!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Send it to blackstone