Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

JCW suspension/sport suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:48 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
JCW suspension/sport suspension questions

I'll be buying a Mini (87% chance a JCW) in the next few weeks. I just wanted to lock down my knowledge on the suspension.

On my 07 I ordered the sport suspension. Now on my new car I want the JCW suspension. I know that's a dealer or port add on. Do you order the sport suspension in addition to the JCW suspension? Does that get you fatter bars or something? lol Or if you're going to order the JCW suspension it doesn't make sense to waste your money on the sport suspension. What's the best way to do this here?

Also I've heard that sometimes you can tell the dealer to have it installed at the port instead of the dealership so you don't have to pay labor. Is that correct? It seems like an odd request/fact if it's actually true.

Is the JCW worth it? I'd rather keep things factory but if everyone says no just get the sport suspension and get some springs or whatever I'm listening.

I always drove Z06 Covettes but got what I thought was "stuck" with a mini 3 years ago when money got tight. Now I'm in love and want to order one that's full on the best handling/performing I can get.

Thank you everyone for your knowledge.

-Gene

Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 PM
GreyLens
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 JCW, the first year of factory JCW's. I love it. You can't go wrong.

Opted to just keep the stock cooper S suspension because I planned to upgrade it with an aftermarket setup at some point. After much research I opted for the AST 5100's, Swift Springs, and Vorshlag Variable Camber plates. Check them out...they're expensive, though. I won't get them for another 4 months but it will be worth the wait. I do a few track days a year and regular autox events (2 or 3 a month).

I know a couple of folks here in San Antonio who track their MINI regularly and have the JCW suspension and they love it!

Last edited by GreyLens; 09-02-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 PM
uzun
4th Gear
If you want to get the JCW suspension, you don't need to order the car with sport suspension. Just order the car with regular suspension and have the JCW suspension added at the port or at the dealer. JCW suspension kit already includes thicker front and rear sway bars and will replace whatever stock bars come on the car. I don't know whether the port or dealer installation will be cheaper. You may want to check out Morristown MINI in Jersey. I think they have a pretty good deal on JCW suspension kit price and installation.

Last edited by uzun; 09-02-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get it installed at the port and they keep your old parts. Who knows what they do with them.

You can get it installed at the dealer and you keep your old parts. You can sell those parts for a few hundred dollars and get something back for your efforts. OP you know this you live on the Island.

After the dealer installs the JCW suspension, take it to a local shop to do a wheel alignment. Most dealers charge in excess of $150 for a wheel alignment. A local tire shop will cost you about $75.

I have the JCW suspension on my car for about 1.5 years now. After getting rid of the run flats its a nice daily driver. And I live in the NYC area. Lots of really poor roads.

If I had it to do all over I would go for coil overs and Vorshlag camber plates and get the H-Sport 25mm hollow rear sway bar. I ditched the JCW rear sway bar after a few months and got the H-Sport installed on the softest setting.

Get the JCW. There is no comparison to a Cooper S. Sorry, there just isn't.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Don't waste your $ on the Sport Suspension. Get the JCW, or depending on how important the handling aspect is you can go aftermarket with it too. The SS sway bars are only slightly thicker than stock, most people want at least a 19mm rear bar (they don't sell the front one aftermarket, you don't need it). The JCW suspension only drops the car about 1/2", some people want it lower (at least an inch), so keep that in mind. If you only lower it a little I don't think you need the camber plates, because it's the lowering that messes up the alignment, and there's only so much adjustment that can be done without them. So a lot of this depends on what you want the car to look like, etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Patricks in Schaumburg shot me a price of $1700 for the JCW suspension installed, aligned and ready to go. I'm also still out on a limb on the suspension, too.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
That is a good price. I paid about the same from Morristown MINI in NJ back in January of 2009

Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Patricks in Schaumburg shot me a price of $1700 for the JCW suspension installed, aligned and ready to go. I'm also still out on a limb on the suspension, too.
That sounds like a good price. I think the sticker price was around $2k installed.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by onefish2
You can get it installed at the port and they keep your old parts. Who knows what they do with them.

Get the JCW. There is no comparison to a Cooper S. Sorry, there just isn't.

Does a Justa base have the same suspension as the MCS base?

What does the sport suspension add to each Justa and MCS? Dif springs or just dif sway bars or both?

What does sport suspension add to the JCW? Dif springs or just dif sway bars or both?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
sgachko
1st Gear
Great feedback - I have been wondering the same regarding the JCW sport suspension.

I opted for the sport package for my R56 then purchased Eibach springs...I have been very happy with my setup until just recently after installing the JCW aero kit. The setup looks awesome but I think it might be a little too low. I have to be extremely careful to avoid scrapping the bottom splitter.

I would hate to turn around and spend more money on the jcw suspension after dropping money on the sport package and eibach springs to now go with the jcw suspension setup but I didn't anticipate my car ending up as low as it is with the new jcw aero kit...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM
sgachko
1st Gear
Img_0310.jpg

Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I went on building the suspension using aftermarket suspension parts. Yesterday, I was in my friends 2009 JCW with the JCW suspension and was struck by how well it worked together and how comfortable it was.

I have coils, camber plates, end links, control arms, sway bars etc and still seem to be constantly trying to tune the ride height, the dampening, the camber, the corner balance, the stiftness of the sway bar, etc... you get my drift. Also the suspension is a whole system and which requires that you "tune" it to get the best out of it. It is also my track car so I do spend the time but it is still a pain. My log book is full of setting entries. Sometimes it feels better than stock, and somethings it does feel worse!

Yes you can get tons of settings with the aftermarket stuff but for many of my friends who do not like to fuss that much, I think the JCW suspension is a pretty good for a set and forget suspension system.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:02 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
slinger: I was going to go with the JCW suspension, but instead changed to getting after market H&R sport springs. They're not the softest, but one step up. I wanted the lower look, and improved handling, but still keeping some of the ride. If that doesn't work, there is always the JCW and my dealer says that I have a year to make up my mind on that, at the price they quoted. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:18 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
It kind of depends on what you want to do with the car. If it for the street for regular driving, i think that the stock suspension is adequate. I did most of the suspension piece meal. I started with sway bars, then after a little while added some adjustable camber plates, then changed the sway bars, then added control arms and end links and lastly coilovers. Each time i tool some time to drive the car on the street and the track to underatand whether i liked how the car handled and described to myself what i would like for the car to do better. The control arms and camber plates helped a lot with the different alignment specifications. On top of all this, i was experimenting with tire pressures and different tire types.

Drive your car around to see what you like and describe what you do not. Then we can help understand how to help.

It is also OK if you want to lower the car for looks.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
slinger: Beings as there isn't a track within 400 miles, I doubt whether I am going to be doing any tracking. What I want is a good, better handling car that I can depend on going where I point it. These new springs, I have been told will help in that department, along with lowering the car about 1". I am not interested in a real rough ride, but I do appreciate a firm ride, a ride that exudes confidence in the car. That's about it. I, also don't what to tear up the car, either. In saying that, I did get one of Chris's DoS intakes and I intend on getting either, plates for the top of the front shock mounts, or the stabilizer bar and plats from NM. The plates are what I am most interested in, I, just don't think that I want to ever experience, or see mushrooming there. I've given thought to a little larger rear sway bar, and the links back there.

I'm new to this and while I am definately going to do some modding, but not get too carried away with it. I'm a hotrodder that has just found the Mini.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Sport Suspension works great.

I can't tell you about auto crossing but for street driving and occasional hot laps at a racetrack the Sport Suspension works perfect. I don't auto cross so I will let the guys that do inform you of how the SS is different from the JCW add on suspension.

If you are mainly interested in a very good handling car for 98% street driving the Sport Suspension is really good. It does not ride so harsh that it shakes your car to death as well as your backbone but it allows really good handling.

---- I like the Sport Suspension and if I order a new Countryman I will get the SS again------ Well worth the $500.00 charge from the factory if you are not going auto crossing.

I had a 1998 Corvette and added the complete ZO6 suspension so I think I know that if you liked your Z06 you will probably be OK with the sport suspension.

Putting on a set of good non-run flat tires will be the best thing you can do for ride & handling. I put on a set of Michelin 215/45/17 Pilot Exalta PE2's and love them. I wish I did it the day I bought my car.

I kike my 2009 factory JCW so much I don't even think "CORVETTE" anymore.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Hemisedan,

The reinforcement plates you are talking about to prevent mushrooming are not that important in the R56 as there are very few cases of it compared to the earlier generation

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
ej827
2nd Gear
If I get the H&R Springs that lower the car 1", do I need an alignment? Do I need Camber Plates?
Also can I do the JCW Suspension with the H&R Springs?

I would rather buy the JCW Suspension, but it does not lower the car enough for me. That's why I am leaning towards coilovers.

Maybe H&R Springs and a bigger Rear Sway Bar?

I want to lower my car. Only hard street driving. No tracking?

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:16 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
You will need an alignment after a swap of springs.

If you lower the car, you can get a little more camber than stock. If you want more camber, then you need the plates. The tradeoff is between better turn in and poor wear on the tires.

The question to ask is what problems do you want to solve? Is it understeer or oversteer? What does neutral handling mean to you? What kind of driving style do you have? (not only I drive fast but late braking, TBO, TTO)

Last edited by slinger688; 09-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Teibito
2nd Gear
I went with the full JCW suspension installed at the dealer. I had the dealer do the 4 wheel alignment (only $100 extra) and they did it on a really cool computerized laser alignment machine from BMW. I kept the printout from it.

I also added front and rear strut braces to the car, and ditched the run flats for some Yokohama Advan Sports in 215/45/ZR17 running 38 PSI all around.

I generally drive in sport mode with DTC or EDLC depending on the weather conditions. I stay away from using DSC mode.

The car handles nicely with this setup. I track the car regulary, but it's still comfortable enough as a daily commuter.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
alohadee
Neutral
OK - I have a 2010 JCW Cabrio ---
Didnt get the sport suspension, but want more handling...
I did add the strut bar only since the dealer just quoted me 2.5K for the upgrade...

So I didnt go that route...
1) Does anyone know what they use for our stock sway bar?
2) What recommendations do folks have for the suspension ?
25" Hollow?

thanks in advance...
Dee

Old 09-18-2010, 01:39 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Rear Sway Bar:
Standard Suspension = 17mm
Sport Suspension = 18mm
JCW Suspension = 18.5mm

I like the way the my car is setup but I still think of getting coilovers and camber plates all the time. The grass must be greener...

Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
I like the way the my car is setup but I still think of getting coilovers and camber plates all the time. The grass must be greener...
Hey onefish2,

Just took a look at your setup on your flickr page. Pretty neat. Especially under the hood, where it counts.

Teibito

Old 09-18-2010, 05:08 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Teibito
Hey onefish2,

Just took a look at your setup on your flickr page. Pretty neat. Especially under the hood, where it counts.

Teibito
Thanks. Its been an evolution. And I have taken lots of pictures along the way. I have spent a lot of time and money to get the car to look and drive the way I want. I am just about done. But every once in a while I think I need to change something.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
It's an affliction, but your not the only who has it.

Quick Reply: JCW suspension/sport suspension questions