Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Would you buy a new JCW with a dent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
theromulus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a new JCW with a dent?

I worked out a deal on a 2010 JCW. When I went to pick it up and drop off my trade, there was a dent in the side of the hood on the roll. It looked like someone had struck it hard with a blade or something. There was about a half inch cut with a quarter size dent. I refused the car and the salesman wasn't in yet. He called back shortly and said they would replace the hood. My question is would their be a difference in the paint on a hood they resprayed? Don't they bake the finish on at the plant? It was a total bummer I was incredibly psyched to pick up the car now I'm not sure I want it.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:21 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If that's the one you want, have them 1) replace the hood (and show you the old one), 2) satisfy yourself the paint matches in a variety of lighting conditions and 3) make sure all the seams and gaps line up.

Then you can decide if you still want to sign the papers.

...Les

Old 06-28-2010, 05:31 PM
IMAMINI
3rd Gear
I would refuse it. If there will be body work, and to buy it as a new car? No way. If the hood is replaced, it is still not original. Hard earned money should buy a car that is perfect. You will kick yourself for accepting it and always wishing you didn't. At least that is how I would feel. It really is entirely up to you. You can get a perfect one if you want. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be asking myself how they can do a final delivery inspection without seeing that defect. I would then be asking myself if I wanted to do business with someone who had hoped I wouldn't notice.

As to your question about difference in paint. Yes, absolutely, it will be different. However, different paints are routinely matched by blending the new paint into the old paint on the adjacent panels. If you can't tell by looking, under different types as lighting as suggested, that is as good as it can be restored. It is done on new cars prior to delivery without the customer's knowledge to repair shipping damage.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Friend of mine has a pristine original never modded 05 MCS in purse silver. He is **** about the paint finish, even uses Zaino paint surface system.

He has struck a deer, and had a truck load of lobsta traps dumped onto his beloved MINI while motoring here.

Both times it obviously required paint work. Both times they removed the hood to do so.....we are both **** about our MINI's and neither one of us can tell it was ever repainted......

Shops use lights to cure the paint in similar fashion as the factory. If done by a reputable shop you should not be able to tell the difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Your decision, your money. Go with your gut.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:53 PM
WC50 408
4th Gear
Originally Posted by theromulus
I worked out a deal on a 2010 JCW. When I went to pick it up and drop off my trade, there was a dent in the side of the hood on the roll. It looked like someone had struck it hard with a blade or something. There was about a half inch cut with a quarter size dent. I refused the car and the salesman wasn't in yet. He called back shortly and said they would replace the hood. My question is would their be a difference in the paint on a hood they resprayed? Don't they bake the finish on at the plant? It was a total bummer I was incredibly psyched to pick up the car now I'm not sure I want it.
First they don't bake the cars, on the conveyer there are heat lamps but that is it. They are willing to replace the hood and the paint is so new matching will be no problem. If this Mini has everything you want try and get some off the price and have the option to refuse to buy if paint job does not meet your approval. Personally I'd buy it if the paint was ok.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
On a car that new color matching the paint won't be a problem. Like others have said have the problem fixed then inspect it yourself before signing any papers. and they should take something off for the trouble or at least throw in some kind of freebie for you. If I was buying a new mini and had to wait several weeks for it I'd want it to be perfect as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 PM
bruno787
2nd Gear
easy.....just get another hood from another new car at the dealer lot and swap it over to your jcw, and let them install the newly painted hood on the other car on the lot. solved! you get a factory painted hood.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
I would be asking myself how they can do a final delivery inspection without seeing that defect. I would then be asking myself if I wanted to do business with someone who had hoped I wouldn't notice.
I would be more worried about the actual dealership too. They either dont care enough to actually inspect the car or were willing to let you take an obviously defective car. I dont know that I would trust them to work on my car after that. Even if you have another dealership that you can go to get your MINI serviced, there have been stories about some dealerships only giving loaners or preferential treatment to customers that had bought their MINI at that dealership. If there is another dealer you can go to, it might be worth it to refuse this MINI and order new from the other dealer. You have a heck of a decision to make, good luck with it!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you all are being pretty had on the dealer without knowing the circumstances.....stuff happens, accidents happen. That's why the VDC has a paint booth for example. Chances are they were just gonna swap hoods with another car anyway, to get the sold car delivered. I'd be OK with that if it were my car.....as long as it was done well, seams matched up and so on.

I had a bird hit my 2009 Clubby and do $1500 worth of damage to the roof, of all things. I was in the car bidness for 30 years and I feel like I can spot a painted car pretty well, but I can't tell where they worked on mine - so it is possible to make it match perfectly, expecially on a new, non-weathered car.

Remember, it's a car and while you want it as perfect as possible - there's really no such thing. And after it's lived in the real world awhile, chances are it'll have pits on the front of the hood in a few months anyway. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it and don't worry about it........

Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The evidence is they were going to deliver the car with the damaged hood, and they let the customer leave without any offer to repair it. Looks like a case of buyer beware to me.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
We weren't there, so I think don't think it's right to pass judgement ....

So they didn't see it, it happens......luckily the buyer did see it so it can get resolved. They're cars, not children.......they can be fixed and probably will have to be from time to time. I would not lose any sleep over it. If they swap the hood out for a new one and it looks fine, go enjoy the car.....

Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
COKen
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
...they can be fixed and probably will have to be from time to time.
I'll also bet that many of us were delivered cars that had damage fixed. That is what they do at the docks when they arrive in the US. The cars are inspected for dammage. If any is found they fix it if they can. They also have final inspections before it leaves the plant where they will also fix damage. This dent is not much different from other repairs that we don't even know were done to our cars. I would do as others have said. Let them make the repairs and then decide if they were done to your satisfaction or not.

Last edited by COKen; 06-29-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by COKen
[FONT=Tms Rmn]I'll also bet that many of us were delivered cars that had damage fixed. That is what they do at the docks when they arrive in the US. The cars are inspected for dammage. If any is found they fix it if they can. They also have final inspections before it leaves the plant where they will also fix damage. This dent is not much different from other repairs that we don't even know were done to our cars. I would do as others have said. Let them make the repairs and then decide if they were done to your satisfaction or not.
[/FONT]
The problem in this situation, for me, is that the dealer was willing to let the customer walk away with a damaged, not fixed vehicle. Of course I am taking the op at his word that there was a dent, cut and the dealership apparently didnt know what to do about it because the op had to leave and then was called later with an offer to fix it. I know I have read postings from people with cars a few days old and they see a dent, tear in the leather, notice a mismatched paint job, etc. that they know wasnt their fault and the dealership balks at fixing the issue. I have a feeling that the op could have been posting a similar tale of woe had he not noticed the damage.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Well, without knowing the circustances - was it night? raining? where is the dent? How big is it? Is it easy to see or do you have to catch just right in just the right light? it's hard to justify crucifying the dealership - I don't think it was on purpose - trying to get away with something - I think they just didn't see it or know it was there. Heck, it could have happened in the delivery room for all we know. Kudo's to the new owner for seeing it and asking them to fix it, but I would have taken delivery and just had them fix it later either at MY body shop, or by exchanging the hood. No biggie. And whoever wrote that it's a defective car - no, it isn't. It's a dent........the car is not defective.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
theromulus
2nd Gear
It was 4 o'clock during the day, bright and sunny. The car was parked in a well lit delivery bay area. It was detailed quite well, from the back it looked stunning. However when I walked around to the side the dent was obvious to anyone that looked at the car from that side. From what the manager told me last night, the lot guys had seen it as well when they put it in there.

The manager called me late last night and wanted me to take the car with a promise letter that they would repair it. He explained that it was because he wanted me to sign the paperwork before the end of the month. He said they didn't have time to get it fixed and he didn't want me to miss out on the special financing rate available from BMW that ends on the 30th.

I asked the salesman and the service manager why they had it there for delivery and just hope I would not notice the big dent. I didn't get anything from the salesman and got some blaming the detail guys from the manager.

I bought a new car (not mini) years ago that had paint damage caused by the tape they used to transport to the dealership. The car was a black metallic color. I took delivery anyway and let them repair it after. I ended up having them repair it three times and it was never repaired even close to correctly and I finally just gave up and paid to have it fixed. The first time it looked like they used a can of spray paint. The second time it was dripping and the third time it was orange peeled and off color. The dealership was really nice about everything, until I took delivery. For that reason I can't take something damaged and just believe in the good nature of car salesmen. once bitten ....

The last contact I had from the Mini dealer today. They will have it repaired and would like for me to come in and see it when it is done.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 AM
WC50 408
4th Gear
That sounds like the best solution. As far as the reason they want you to buy before the 30th, they couldn't care less what finance rate you get, they're just worried about the sales numbers for the month of June. Good luck hope the repair comes out well

Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
My 2¢ - I would insist on the June finance rate. It's not your fault the car was damaged and you shouldn't be penalized. If they will not honor the rate, figure your long-term cost of the adjusted rate and demand that in teh form of a discount. They want to sell a car. Go get 'em....and keep us posted.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just let them repair the damage.

I drove a car carrier for nine years and I have seen a lot of cars get damaged in shipping. The dealers repair the dents and scratches and sell the car. I have also sold cars and seen the damage when the cars were deliverd. We repaired them and sold them. It is now and always will be the way things are.

Someone probably hit that car with something while on the lot. If the dealer can repair the damage I would not get a whole new hood. I would really inspect the repair and be sure it is done to perfection though.

I also worked in the GM factory in Wilmington Delaware and seen cars damaged at the plant repaired and sent to the dealers.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 AM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theromulus
The last contact I had from the Mini dealer today. They will have it repaired and would like for me to come in and see it when it is done.
Also consider that it is repainted and will show up when and if traded in.... depreciating the value slightly....use that as a bargaining chip. And yes, trust a salesman as far as you can throw him. After the sale, he's out of the picture.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
That is really crappy that they were trying to pressure you to take the car. All of your bargaining power goes away once you have purchased the car. A letter promising repair is not the same thing as repaired to your satisfaction which you are painfully aware of given your history.

Have you tried searching for your dealerships name on NAM (or googling it) to see what others are saying about that dealership? If this is a one time thing and there are several others with great things to say about the dealership, I might be willing to try to continue to work with them to resolve this issue. However if there are several complaints about the dealership (particularly in the ethics/ fulfilling promises department), I would probably consider trying to continue to resolve the issue a waste of time.

Again, sorry you are in this situation.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
And whoever wrote that it's a defective car - no, it isn't. It's a dent........the car is not defective.
I should have said...car with an obvious defect. Calling the car defective was not what I meant, just a poorly written sentence.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM
theromulus
2nd Gear
This all ends well. The manager sent the car out the very next morning to have the repair done. They called me yesterday afternoon to come look at the car. They also took a hefty chunk off the price to make the deal and to make up for the inconvenience. The repair was perfect, I couldn't find it and I looked hard. Very pleased with the outcome and what a great ride into work this morning. Thanks for all the advise and ideas, I used many of them in the final negotiations and saved a mint!
Here's a phone pic I took last night.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
I am very happy that the matter was resolved in a way that made you happy!

It (is it a he or a she?) is very pretty.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Congrats!!! Beautiful ride...I hope you enjoy many happy years of motoring fun and excitement. Welcome to the family...

Quick Reply: Would you buy a new JCW with a dent?