Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

New to the forum & to Minis, and have a license plate question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
chinarider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to the forum & to Minis, and have a license plate question

Hi all. I just drove my first JCW home yesterday, and still can't really believe it's actually parked in my garage. I'm still pouring over the owner's manual, videos & various paperwork, trying to take it all in & figure out how everything works. Mine's a 2009 convertible, with a few factory and dealer performance and cosmetic upgrades. It was a showroom model on which I got a fair discount. These are pretty sweet cars!

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with "no drill" front license plate brackets? I live in a state where front plates are required & need a way of displaying it. I've seen a few of these brackets online, but have no idea which would be the best one for this particular vehicle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails New to the forum & to Minis, and have a license plate question-mini.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 AM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get the Go Mini Go bracket... it's all stainless steel, looks and works great.

I have one on my '09 Clubman-S. $55.00

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MINI.html

Old 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM
spinned
4th Gear
I have the one from gominigo too. I bought mine from the dealer. It was around $50 bucks which I thought was a lot of money for a bolt and a piece of hardware, but I really like the bracket. It fits where the the tow hook cover is. I wanted to drill a hole in the tow hook cover so that the bolt fits snugly into the bumper so I bought an extra cover that was primered for $14 in case I mess up drilling the hole. I used the primered one for the job and painted it to match the bumper... so I still have the original cover. I have the factory Aero kit bumpers. The hole for the bolt on my bumper was not centered in the middle of the tow hook cover, it is off-set. I made a template out of construction paper to help me locate and cut the hole. The fit is perfect. I think I still have the template.

They have the "regular" and the "offset" style bracket. I like the regular because it sits equal to the angle of the bumper. And I like the looks a lot better then the front drilled bracket.

Last edited by spinned; 12-08-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 AM
spinned
4th Gear
Here is a picture of my car bracket...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
spinned
4th Gear
Here is a picture of the offset template for the tow hook cover for those of you that may have the factory Aero kit. Check for yourself...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Got the GoMiniGO one as well.... best one out there IMO.... not all that many adjustments but it seems to be the best quality and one that fits closest to the bumper, for looks. What spinned did to the stock cover is an excellent idea. personally it doesnt bother me having the big square hole behind it....Plus chinarider's tow cover is much smaller and round so its not as noticeable

Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
I just ordered my tow hook license plate holder from gominigo.com. Check out their site, as they have a coupon for $5 bucks off. It is $50 for the plate holder, then another $8 for shipping.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
The GOMINIGO Holiday sale runs until Dec 20th. Use GMGHOLIDAYPROMO and receive $5 off your order. Other goodies available for your new JCW! Visit www.gominigo.com for more pics and info.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
DDoggJCW
3rd Gear
I ended up making my own since I had access to a cutter and welder.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...te-holder.html

Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
chinarider
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the info, advice and links. I appreciate it. Yes, the tow hook hole in the bumper of my car is small and round, so it should be an easy install.

At the risk of sounding completely clueless, why is the aero kit that's installed on my JCW so different than some of the other (more rounded) ones in this thread? I tend to prefer those over my own, but again, I got a bit of a deal on this car. Are those the factory-installed kits, and mine's the dealer option? Sorry to ask suck a basic question, but like I said, I'm new to Minis.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
spinned
4th Gear
At the risk of sounding completely clueless, why is the aero kit that's installed on my JCW so different than some of the other (more rounded) ones in this thread? I tend to prefer those over my own, but again, I got a bit of a deal on this car. Are those the factory-installed kits, and mine's the dealer option? Sorry to ask suck a basic question, but like I said, I'm new to Minis.
That is exactly right. I have the "factory aero kit" it comes with the up-side-down lower grill and painted fender rims. I think you will find that most Aero kits are like yours. They are installed by the dealer.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
yup ...there are basically 3 different styles.

1. regular, with the black plastic everywhere
2. JCW Aero kit (what you've got), with the more aggressive look and still black trim.
3. Factory Aero Kit... all painted...slightly more rounded look.