Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

How many JCWs are sitting at your dealership unsold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 AM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many JCWs are sitting at your dealership unsold?

I am wondering how long some of these JCW s have been sitting around. My dealership in Charleston has the same two cars since they first arrived in September/October 08 or whenever. I would think a magority of JCW owners didnt buy the "lot ho" Eventually they will have to offer discounts. My dealership basically has been telling me to sit and spin on a discount price. I guess i do not blame them, since i have been tire kicking for a year. I cant help it I do not need one.. I just want one.. SO how many are just sitting around and havent moved?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
I think my dealership has 3 hardtops, and 2 Clubmans. My MA was really hoping I'd bite on the Chili Red Clubman, but that just wasn't going to happen. I talked to her about how it had features that I just didn't want to pay for, and was lacking others I really wanted (like an alarm). I figured if it was something she wanted to move, she'd open discussions about installing an alarm for a discount, free floor mats, or something along that nature. She didn't.

I think right now, Mini dealers are still expecting business to return to where it was just a few months ago (and it very well may). My guess it's going to be well into the spring or summer before dealerships start to sweat.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Some dealers are starting to crack already. Recent threads of $2-3k discounts for JCW "lot ho's" (I like that term) have been surfacing. Discounts of $4-900 are out there for orders.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Perihelion
4th Gear
I've got 2 dealerships within driving distance. When I ordered my JCW in December, one dealership had 2 (but not spec'd how I wanted) and the other one still has 4 today (also not the spec I was looking for). Both dealerships are willing to give discounts on these now, but the main thing was they have so many options on them, that the discount doesn't even cover the cost of the unwanted options.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
Wow. I'm surprised (and disappointed with my MA for not offering me a deal like that ).

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 AM
koveras
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by guywhomaybuyamini
I am wondering how long some of these JCW s have been sitting around. My dealership in Charleston has the same two cars since they first arrived in September/October 08 or whenever. I would think a magority of JCW owners didnt buy the "lot ho" Eventually they will have to offer discounts. My dealership basically has been telling me to sit and spin on a discount price. I guess i do not blame them, since i have been tire kicking for a year. I cant help it I do not need one.. I just want one.. SO how many are just sitting around and havent moved?
That may be to my advantage. I plan on ordering a JCW convertible in April from the Charleston dealership. Maybe I can get a discount of SOME kind if those remain on the lot.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by koveras
That may be to my advantage. I plan on ordering a JCW convertible in April from the Charleston dealership. Maybe I can get a discount of SOME kind if those remain on the lot.
Don't wait until April to haggle on a convertible sitting on the lot today. Everyone else will be waiting until April as well and the demand for the convertibles will go up (discounts down). You'll get your greatest deal on the convertible in January.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 AM
koveras
2nd Gear
I was referring to the 2009 JCW convertibles. If they have JCWs sitting on the lot for that long they may be more apt to give a discount so they dont have to pay for it to sit there as well. Or at least I hope, heh.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
I was referring to the 2009 JCW convertibles. If they have JCWs sitting on the lot for that long they may be more apt to give a discount so they dont have to pay for it to sit there as well. Or at least I hope, heh.
My point was that the demand for convertibles is lowest now. When the weather turns nice, the demand for the "lot" convertibles will go up, since there will be no waiting for them. You'll get your best deal now on the 2009's that are sitting on the lot.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my two cents...I think when the JCW launched many dealers thought it would be a hot seller, and it probably was in the beginning. However, any way you look at it, a JCW coupe or clubman is going to be a pretty big ticket MINI even lightly optioned, so the buyer pool is smaller. Allotments vary between dealers too, I think mine can order about 2-3 per month and MOST of those have been customer orders. I don't think the dealer is forced to use their allotments if they don't think they can sell a "lot ho." My problem with lot cars in general is most of them tend to be either really loaded or barren, I ordered mine somewhere in the middle.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 AM
mongorama
2nd Gear
My gut tells me you won't be able to get much of a deal. If I understand correctly, the convertible JCW is just coming out in April. I don't think there's any chance a brand new model gets released with a discount. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect you'll be lucky to get it produced in a timely manner. I also suspect you'll be paying MSRP.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM
koveras
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mongorama
My gut tells me you won't be able to get much of a deal. If I understand correctly, the convertible JCW is just coming out in April. I don't think there's any chance a brand new model gets released with a discount. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect you'll be lucky to get it produced in a timely manner. I also suspect you'll be paying MSRP.
I expect that as well. But I can always hope! Curious to see what the base price will be for the JCW convertible. Motoringfile.com hinted at it being 33k which, considering the upgrades, is a pretty good deal over the base convertible price.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
MINI of Grand Rapids looks to have their first two JCW's still on the lot (coupe and clubman, both red), though they're still moving a fair number of other MINIs. They don't have specials on the JCW's listed on the web but I'm sure they'd talk if you were serious about buying.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 AM
belacyrf
2nd Gear
I hope mini dealers dont budge, and if they do, the discounts should be very very little. Discounts = resalve value plunge.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Bullitt44
"Bullitt"
The MINI market will return, and gas prices will rise after winter. Plus historically January through mid March are weak so deals are usually available. JCWs are a tough sell in most wintery regions concidering they are equipped with summer tires.

just my 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Sorry, didn't note the JCW specifier. Very unlikely that they will be discounting those any at all when they are available. Pent-up demand rregardless of the economy. You'll have to wait until next winter for a deal on those.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:07 PM
dpranouskes
2nd Gear
I purchased/ordered one of the first JCW's last year. When the JCW Verts come out, I am seriously thinking about ordering one of those and trading my current one in. When I ordered, there were no rumors or hints of a convertible coming out. I didn't even think that would be an option based upon the simple physics that a convertible does not have as rigid a body and for a track performer I did not think Mini would offer this like they didn't with the last performance special they did.

It all boils down to what you want. If you are going to buy and keep the car long term, why not wait and get what you want. I tend to buy and get tired of cars pretty quickly and would love a convertible.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just refused mine Monday so I can order an R57 JCW in April so that makes 5 at my dealer two of which have been sitting on the showroom floor for months.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:54 PM
dunce11r
1st Gear
this is exactly the kind of news i love to hear... im just waiting for the refresh to come out.

also, if gas prices go back up, they wont be buying minis... they cost waaaay too much. the recession is actually hitting people now, and if oil prices go up, people will head to the bargain basement, meaning scion/civic/corolla/versa/fit/prius (for the idiots)/insight/hyundai

Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by belacyrf
I hope mini dealers dont budge, and if they do, the discounts should be very very little. Discounts = resalve value plunge.

Short term discounts will likely affect only short term resale values. Overall however, I don't think it'll hurt much. And just like any other business, they will have to remain competitive(especially so in this recession). Remember that dealer mark up is about 10% meaning they have around that much to discount to.(well less since it's at 110% at MSRP, not 100%).

Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My JCW was one of the first in the US. It sat around from mid July until I purchased it on November 28th. Original buyer backed out. Awesome for me as I got a very nice deal. Thanks BigMiniAl.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dunce11r
(for the idiots) /hyundai
That's uncalled for.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
BigMiniAl
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by onefish2
My JCW was one of the first in the US. It sat around from mid July until I purchased it on November 28th. Original buyer backed out. Awesome for me as I got a very nice deal. Thanks BigMiniAl.
Glad you are enjoying it as much as I do mine Onefish!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I wouldn't get my hopes up for much of a discount on any Mini, let alone one of 2-4 JCWs sitting around. It's not like they have an acre full of Ford 150s or anything. Part of the Mini "policy" is to sell at retail price. That policy goes a long way in protecting the resale value of your car. Read an interesting article about the car show in Detroit: they had a panel of "Gen Y" students from universities and got input on what they liked/disliked in cars (25% of new cars sold in the near future will be to Gen Y buyers, the oldest of those is 26 now). Mini-Jeep-Scion were brands they liked. They also liked being able to order options ala carte, not be limited to packages. They like having many options to choose from. They really hated dickering on the price of the car, women especially. The Mini fits that bill. Mini of Scottsdale sold 80 cars in December, that's a pretty good month.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
Short term discounts will likely affect only short term resale values. Overall however, I don't think it'll hurt much. And just like any other business, they will have to remain competitive(especially so in this recession). Remember that dealer mark up is about 10% meaning they have around that much to discount to.(well less since it's at 110% at MSRP, not 100%).
It is truly 10%. For example: If the MSRP is $30k, the dealer cost is $27k. That's an 11.1% markup or a 10% margin or total available discount.

Quick Reply: How many JCWs are sitting at your dealership unsold?