F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 question about transmission shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
question about transmission shifting

My other MINI has a manual transmission, so my 2023 F60 S ALL4 is my first experience spending any length of time driving an automatic MINI. I'm a manual enthusiast, but can recognize a good automatic and I think the 8-speed Aisin automatic in the F60 is really good (mostly thanks to MINI's programming, which is great). I'm particularly happy with manual mode, as the transmission is responsive and quick to up-/downshift in response to the paddles. I do have a question regarding the upshifting, though.

I've noticed that in both automatic Sport mode (transmission, not Sport button) and manual mode, the upshifts under heavy (but not necessarily full) throttle in the lower gears, particularly the 1-2 shift, are VERY abrupt and rough, almost as if it's slamming gears. I was very surprised by this as I've never experienced something like this in any other vehicle. I don't recall experiencing upshifts like this with the transmission in regular Drive mode, and hitting the Sport button exacerbates the Sport/Manual mode rough upshifts. Is this normal?? I'm fine with it, I'd rather this behavior than excessively smooth and slow upshifts, but gees they really jerk you around when you're really going for it!

P.S. In researching the transmission, it does seem MINI made a change at some point, I think with the 2021(?) LCI, making the previously JCW-only version of the 8-speed standard across the range. Previously, the Cooper and Cooper S had one version, and the JCW had another.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:12 PM
MiniMAX1000
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
"The lower gears, particularly the 1-2 shift, are VERY abrupt and rough, almost as if it's slamming gears. I was very surprised by this as I've never experienced something like this in any other vehicle."

I think you confuse two very different matters: transmission performance and vehicle response to an abrupt, significant change in available torque
before and after a shift.

The two or three speed slushboxes of fifty years ago had a "torque converter" whose purpose was to make a smooth transition between gears and
vehicle response to driving torque change. The changes in torque were dissipated as heat in the transmission fluid (and tranny proper).

The current 8 speed is perfectly smooth when an S Countryman is driven modestly and reasonably. In manual mode or automatic. Great for most driving
which is in traffic at an average speed of 22 mph.

ANY vehicle, no matter how heavy (and the Countryman is no lightweight) will respond directly to an abrupt, significant change in available torque
before and after a shift. Manual transmissions allow the clutch and clutch system to mitigate the experience of a change in energy somewhat via heat dissipation. High-efficiency, multispeed automatic transmissions don't offer the same luxury as the slushboxes of old.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:34 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
With all due respect, what I’m feeling are hard, very quickly executed shifts from the transmission, not a result of an interruption in torque from the engine. Modern day automatics don’t require a big reduction in torque to execute shifts quickly since both mechanicals and software have come a long, long way. BMW’s implementation of the practically ubiquitous-to-the-industry ZF 8-speed is a great example. It can pull off upshifts imperceptibly slower than a great DCT, and do so very smoothly. It will also hit hard and upshift with a veritable “banging of the gears” when in Sport or Sport+ mode.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:18 PM
MiniMAX1000
1st Gear
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NBCGLX
What I’m feeling are hard, very quickly executed shifts from the transmission, not a result of an interruption in torque from the engine. Modern day automatics don’t require a big reduction in torque to execute shifts quickly since both mechanicals and software have come a long, long way. BMW’s implementation of the practically ubiquitous-to-the-industry ZF 8-speed will also hit hard and upshift with a veritable “banging of the gears” when in Sport or Sport+ mode.
The transmission transmits power from the engine which spins to the ground which does not. When much power is being transmitted, any significant
change in gearing will cause a reaction. Energy is conserved. More energy (higher torque) produces more motion and effects of gear contact than less energy.

Modern day automatics do their job quickly and efficiently but changing torque has undeniable effects in the driveline even though the transmissions are less likely to blow up than formerly.

I thought the recent Countrymen 8 speeds were made by Aisin which is partially owned by Toyota.

What happens with your car is exactly what happens with one running a ZF 8-speed. A power upshift will be felt. Do it too often and your tranny will
have a shorter life.