R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R60 Slow CMS manual in sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM
musamini2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow CMS manual in sport mode

I'm test driving a CMS manual today. Actually it is a service loaner while we have our new MCS Manual in the shop. I've had the privilege of test driving all three CMS models (ALL4 Automatic, S automatic, and S manual) as service loaners and it's been really nice to have each vehicle for an entire day to see how it really drives in various situations.

The previous model I test drove was the CMS ALL4 Automatic and I thought it was pretty fast when in Sport Mode. I had expected the CMS S Manual (the one I'm driving today) to feel slightly faster than the CMS ALL4 Auto, because after all, the road tests show this to be true. In all honesty I feel that this CMS manual performs sluggishly. I realize that this is subjective, but what I really noticed is that the Sport Mode doesn't seem to make much of a difference other than causing the exhaust to make that characteristic popping noise. I know that with our new MCS, there is a huge difference when Sport Mode is switched on. In fact, if I am driving with Sport Mode switched ON and then switch it OFF, I feel significant decrease in power. I also remember the same to be true with the CMS ALL4 Auto that I drove 2 weeks ago. I feel like maybe the turbo is not kicking in this model that I'm driving today. How would I know?

The whole reason for my post is that I am interested in buying a CMS Manual in the upcoming months, but expected more performance when compared with the other CMS models I've driven. My thought is that perhaps there is something wrong with this particular loaner that I am driving?

Are there any CMS Manual drivers out there who would be willing to share their perspective? Does Sport Mode make a huge difference / it is obvious when switched ON vs. OFF?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts
I notice a big difference in steering feel and throttle response in sport mode because those things are what is changed. Sport mode does not magically give you more power (unless you have a custom tune). This comment catches my eye in particular.

Originally Posted by musamini2
In fact, if I am driving with Sport Mode switched ON and then switch it OFF, I feel significant decrease in power.
Unless you have a custom tune, there is no decrease in power when sport mode is off. Sport mode changes the amount of power assist for the steering, throttle response, and if you have an automatic it changes the shift points.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
musamini2
2nd Gear
Perhaps I was mistaking power for a change in throttle responsiveness. There is a very noticeable difference in the throttle with my MCS when I switch Sport Mode On/Off, whereas the CMS Manual I'm driving today, I don't notice any change in the throttle.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
I guess it could have been defective in the loaner. I almost stall every time I forget to turn sport mode on. I wish it could be on by default.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
SCountryMAN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I guess it could have been defective in the loaner. I almost stall every time I forget to turn sport mode on. I wish it could be on by default.
Do you feel any difference in steering assist?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SCountryMAN

Do you feel any difference in steering assist?
Definitely. The wheel is harder to turn, which makes it feel more like our old 2003 MINIs. I like the heavier feel, but some people may not like it. It feels a little sloppy to me when sport is off, though it's somewhat subtle.