F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Dinan tuner install

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:51 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
It's just that there are a couple other "clip ons" that people just "unclip" if they have to take the car in for something. They are $400 and do the exact same thing: boost turbo. I guess Dinan's idea got them more business at higher prices. And it gets them a lot of traffic in the dealerships. I'm sure I would have bought one with my new 2007 MCS and probably this car if Scottsdale Mini offered it.
For what it's worth every piggyback is prone to issues to some degree. My Dinan Elite came off yesterday because it would throw up the CELs P12A9 and P10F2 nearly every time I start the car. Had it taken off and I've driven about 200 miles since then and gone though about a dozen power cycles with no CEL. Without their warranty I'd be out $1000.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:06 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
It's just that there are a couple other "clip ons" that people just "unclip" if they have to take the car in for something. They are $400 and do the exact same thing: boost turbo. I guess Dinan's idea got them more business at higher prices. And it gets them a lot of traffic in the dealerships. I'm sure I would have bought one with my new 2007 MCS and probably this car if Scottsdale Mini offered it.
Plenty of threads regarding removing the power modules before taking to dealerships. Then something came to light (supposedly). When Mini plugs in their computer it can check and see if something had been added to the car and then removed. This in and of itself isn't a big deal providing you aren't having any warranty issues. If you should have a problem w/ the engine or drive train and it becomes a warranty claim, BMW can refuse coverage based on the ECU report.

Can't verify whether this is true or not (been a long time since I read those threads). Personally I'd not risk a 4 year warranty for a bit more power. I'm going w/ the factory installed JCW tune w/ my 2019 and will stay away from any piggybacks. I was planing to go w/ Dinan initially, but lately with BMW and now Mini, there are too many problems cropping up for me to jump on that bandwagon (again).

It was where Dinan was "bulletproof". Not the fastest, but certainly the most reliable and an excellent warranty to cover your new car for the 4 year period. They still have the warranty so I guess 50% ain't bad. LOL