F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Dinan tuner install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:30 AM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Dinan tuner install

Just got quoted $595 by Mini SF for a Dinan Elite tuner install. I am only considering it because of my existing warranty on my Mini. Am I correct to assume that if my Dinan was dealer installed, I would have less issues with warranty claims if and when they come up?

Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
They want $595 install fee on top of the Dinan Elite cost? If that is the case it is pure rip off. If for some reason that includes the Elite then that is a steal. The install for a competent mechanic who has done it before is way under an hour.

The install is simple and straightforward. As long as it is done correctly then they can't disclaim your warranty (read the warranty on Dinan site). I assume someone could run the wire loosely near the fan and get the wire chopped or not secure the unit with zip ties or velcro, but that seems like a rare happening.

The following users liked this post:
tc1728 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
They want $595 install fee on top of the Dinan Elite cost? If that is the case it is pure rip off. If for some reason that includes the Elite then that is a steal. The install for a competent mechanic who has done it before is way under an hour.

The install is simple and straightforward. As long as it is done correctly then they can't disclaim your warranty (read the warranty on Dinan site). I assume someone could run the wire loosely near the fan and get the wire chopped or not secure the unit with zip ties or velcro, but that seems like a rare happening.
That is just for the install, Mini SF said it would be a 2 hour job because it will include a post installation test drive . I planned on installing my self but was hesitant about my existing warranty. Going to look through the Dinan warranty details now. Thank you

Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The dinan elite install takes less than 30 minutes. Also the Dinan warranty does not state the installation must be performed at a dinan dealer in order to get the warranty. It does state they will not cover damages due to improper installation though.

tc1728 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by tc1728
That is just for the install, Mini SF said it would be a 2 hour job because it will include a post installation test drive . I planned on installing my self but was hesitant about my existing warranty. Going to look through the Dinan warranty details now. Thank you
Test drive to Liguria Bakery ? Or similar and buy lunch for entire dealership with change left over for a night of drinking. I miss SF.

Last edited by Minnie.the.Moocher; 04-10-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Liguria Bakery
Old 04-10-2019, 12:19 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Just got quoted $595 by Mini SF for a Dinan Elite tuner install. I am only considering it because of my existing warranty on my Mini. Am I correct to assume that if my Dinan was dealer installed, I would have less issues with warranty claims if and when they come up?
Dinan lists install time as 1 hour (so dealer should not charge more than 1 hour shop time plus any rip-offs for supplies). Had my BMW dealer do my M240i ($165 labor plus the price of the Elite kit). My Mini dealer is not a Dinan dealer, but the BMW dealer across the street is. Talked to the BMW guys, told me if they did the install any issues would be handled by them to Dinan. Basically said for any service - go to mini, anything that may be tune related, bring it to us.

I'd contact Dinan and mention the price quote you got from their representative and see what you hear back. That is total BS. They are trying to rob you w/o a mask and gun. 1 hour test drive..another BS claim.

All that aside...going though a designated dealer eliminates any coordination on your part to get issues resolved (providing the dealer is reputable). With a new car install and wanting to maintain warranty w/o having to deal with claims, I'd get it done at a Dinan authorized dealership. But would seek another one than the one you reference.

tc1728 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Dinan lists install time as 1 hour (so dealer should not charge more than 1 hour shop time plus any rip-offs for supplies). Had my BMW dealer do my M240i ($165 labor plus the price of the Elite kit). My Mini dealer is not a Dinan dealer, but the BMW dealer across the street is. Talked to the BMW guys, told me if they did the install any issues would be handled by them to Dinan. Basically said for any service - go to mini, anything that may be tune related, bring it to us.

I'd contact Dinan and mention the price quote you got from their representative and see what you hear back. That is total BS. They are trying to rob you w/o a mask and gun. 1 hour test drive..another BS claim.

All that aside...going though a designated dealer eliminates any coordination on your part to get issues resolved (providing the dealer is reputable). With a new car install and wanting to maintain warranty w/o having to deal with claims, I'd get it done at a Dinan authorized dealership. But would seek another one than the one you reference.
Thank you for the info, That underlined part you mentioned is exactly why I want it to be dealer installed. I have reached out to other authorized Dinan installers in my area and have gotten quotes for more than half of what Mini SF was charging, but they are not dealerships.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:58 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Thank you for the info, That underlined part you mentioned is exactly why I want it to be dealer installed. I have reached out to other authorized Dinan installers in my area and have gotten quotes for more than half of what Mini SF was charging, but they are not dealerships.
This is from the Dinan website:

Installation

Installation takes under an hour and is available through our network of 300+ Dinan Dealers. Log on to www.dinancars.com to find your nearest dealer.

Find out the hourly rate at your dealership and show him this. Ask why the discrepancy. I'm betting that as they are authorized they should be held to a certain standard.

Last edited by USA-RET; 04-11-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:22 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Isn't MINI of SF closing the doors on both the dealership and their seperate service department? Good luck on warranty.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:22 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
My Dinan dealer installed it for $159 after tax. $600 is crazy. That's worse than when I was quoted $1200 to install lower springs.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Do it yourself if it's the sport it will take you 10 min, if it's the elite an hour at worse.

We hear that BS that dealers will void you warranty if you don't pay them to install it and that is plain old BS and also ILLEGAL.
They could only legally void your warranty if you plugged into the wrong sensor (good luck doing that as they are all just slightly different and would be hard to do)
or if you actually damaged a connector or wiring while doing it. But again that is hard to do as these are very simple to do.

Also Dinan will warranty any issue caused by the Dinan module and they will have to prove the Dinan module caused and issue to void your warranty, but if they can prove it then Dinan is on the hook per their warranty.

But make sure you buy from an authorized Dinan dealer as they will NOT offer any warranty on a unit not bought from an Authorized dealer.
WMW is a an Authorized dealer
https://www.waymotorworks.com/dinan/

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
When I check the Dinan site, they list the Dinan Elite at $919. I got a price from a approved installer for around $1100 installed. Am I missing something here?

Old 04-10-2019, 09:37 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dpcompt
When I check the Dinan site, they list the Dinan Elite at $919. I got a price from a approved installer for around $1100 installed. Am I missing something here?
Just a dealer price gouging OP. $1100 isn't a terrible price but that's still $181 for the install.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Dinan

Originally Posted by El-Grunto
Just a dealer price gouging OP. $1100 isn't a terrible price but that's still $181 for the install.
Thanks. I don't mind paying $181 for the install. I just saw prices in this discussion that seemed so much lower than I have been able to see for the Dinan Elite installed.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:44 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Thanks. I don't mind paying $181 for the install. I just saw prices in this discussion that seemed so much lower than I have been able to see for the Dinan Elite installed.
It just depends on who you go to as every shop will charge different rates. My Dinan authorized dealer (not a Mini dealership) did mine for just under $160 after taxes. So $181 seems a fair price although it is a fairly easy install and after watching the shop do it I wish I did it myself and saved the money.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
$181 sounds fair. Dealerships often have different hourly rates. Not huge differences, but a few bucks one way or the other. Also some add disposal fees and shop fees (rags and other sundry charges). Basically all little things to increase profits (like document fees when buying a new car). Generally, if install is done by the shop, they route cables and secure them and keeps any issues between Dinan and the dealership should you have a problem. So in the end, if you have a problem, from your perspective, it's the same as bringing your new car into the service center for a factory warranty issue.

Buying the tune and having it installed by the same authorized dealer can save you a lot of headaches.

In my case, I ordered a Stage 1 elite tune for my BMW. My BMW dealership is also an authorized Dinan dealership. The dealership did the order and install. Car runs great, but started to get a CEL. Brought it in, was told it was in the process of clearing @ that time. They cleared cleared the code and it popped up again a week later. Performance was unaffected, but the CEL was lit on my dash. Brought it in again, Dealership contacted Dinan and Dinan said they removed my version of the Stage 1 from the market and replaced it with a .v2. They said they would send the replacement for install.

Since I plan to go w/ the Stage 2 upgrade when available (and the CEL clears on its own after three restarts and doesn't affect performance), I am electing to stay with it as is (for the time being). However, should Dinan not come out w/ a Stage 2 or my car is ready to go out of warranty, I will have my Dealership swap the units out so I won't have a CEL, should I decided to sell or trade my car in the future.

You can see how having the seller and installer be one and the same (in my case). For me paying the $165 + for the install saves me a bunch of grief.

Last edited by USA-RET; 04-11-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
You run the chance of getting stuck between two bureaucratic organizations and expecting them to work out issues is not always the best case. It is similar to when I needed a referral to a doctor and then spent a month waiting for them to figure it out. In the end I had to intervene to get both sides to talk the same language and after 2.5 months of waiting my appointment draws near.

Personally I'd rather have the cash and do the install myself.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:19 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
I have got to set my story straight. I was quoted $1100 installed. That includes almost $80 in CA sales tax. After all these discussions, it seems like $1100 for Dinan Elite for my '19 JCW is pretty reasonable.I am not going to install it myself.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:37 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Smart choice IMO

I have got to set my story straight. I was quoted $1100 installed. That includes almost $80 in CA sales tax. After all these discussions, it seems like $1100 for Dinan Elite for my '19 JCW is pretty reasonable.I am not going to install it myself.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Where in CA are you? At this point on my search for an installer, under $200 for an install seems like a deal...

Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Was from an Indy in Rancho Cordova last fall. I have been holding off because of some of the issues I have read about.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 AM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Was from an Indy in Rancho Cordova last fall. I have been holding off because of some of the issues I have read about.
Too bad I'm in Norcal. I have been putting it off as well. I got the Dinan back in October last year and just recently decided to have it installed.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Whoa, that thing is expensive especially for a clip on. I guess compared to the price of the car it's cool though if it doesn't screw up. My Stage 1 ECU tune (no box) took 2 hours (most was upgrading the firmware) and cost me $500.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
It's expensive because people are paying extra for the warranty, not sure why you don't get that?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:00 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
It's expensive because people are paying extra for the warranty, not sure why you don't get that?
It's just that there are a couple other "clip ons" that people just "unclip" if they have to take the car in for something. They are $400 and do the exact same thing: boost turbo. I guess Dinan's idea got them more business at higher prices. And it gets them a lot of traffic in the dealerships. I'm sure I would have bought one with my new 2007 MCS and probably this car if Scottsdale Mini offered it.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Dinan tuner install