F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 NM Module vs Dinan Sport

Old 11-14-2017, 01:31 AM
C5marine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NM Module vs Dinan Sport

Trying to decide which tuning module to go with. Have narrowed it down to NM vs Dinan. Already have JCW kit installed on my MCS.

Any reason to go one vs the other? Both seemed to be the two that are spoke of more favorably here on the boards.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2017, 02:08 AM
Dominic Bird
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with dinan -
1) Because it was the first one to come up for sale on here out of the NM and Dinan as I was also toying with the idea of both.
2) I preferred the Dinan as it has the bluetooth functionality and I like being able to read the boost pressure (have set it to race mode and not moved it back so dont use that part of the bluetooth functionality)
3) Cant comment on any other piggyback unit but the dinan makes a huge difference in power and I'm very glad I bought it

I'm still interested to find out if the NM or Dinan produce different power outputs, I'm guessing they would be very similar.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I've been running the NM since 9/15 and the NM w/JCW Tuning Kit since January '16. Never had a complaint. There are many threads on this subject with varying opinions and pros and cons. Suggest you do a search. I prefer NM, but I would probably go with the first one that shows up in the classified section.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 AM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. I went with the Dinan just because it was cheaper since it's temporary anyway.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Pretty much do the same thing. I went with Dinan because it was cheaper, change modes with phone and as I recall the NM didn't claim to work on the 3 cylinder version in case I wanted to swap it onto our F55.

I expect that the Dinan's will be showing up more frequently used now that the Elite unit is out.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:20 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Dinan sport or NM, likely no diff. If I were adding a tune to any new Mini now I'd go w/ this:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...f55-f56-early/

Covers your car w/ a piggyback warranty and will be a better tune than the Dinan Sport and in all probability the NM.

Since you have the JCW tune already, really doesn't make any difference which way you go now. I have the JCW tune on mine and didn't add any tune to mine to preserve the warranty should something happen. I plan to trade next year for a 2019.

Next go-around, I will go w/ the Dinan Elite ILO of the JCW tune. Save half the money, preserve a warranty and likely have a faster car overall.

In my estimation, the gains you get w/ a tune added to a JCW tune will only be the difference between the two added to your car. If the Dinan or NM adds more to your car than the JCW tune, you will get those numbers basically over-riding what the JCW tune provides.

With Dinan now fully supporting the Mini, I will be in their camp for tunes and upgrades and not going w/ the JCW Mini supplied tune (and their exorbitant pricing)

Old 11-15-2017, 07:46 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
In my estimation, the gains you get w/ a tune added to a JCW tune will only be the difference between the two added to your car. If the Dinan or NM adds more to your car than the JCW tune, you will get those numbers basically over-riding what the JCW tune provides.
Wrong. It has been shown on various dyno sheets in numerous threads on this and other forums that the combination of a piggyback and the JCW tune results in considerably more HP than either individually. I have run mine for several months with the tune alone and on another occasion the NM alone. The difference between either of these and the combination of the two is like night and day. I know you haven't tried the combo because you're happy with the tune alone, and also that you're a big fan of Dinan because you have their tune on your BMW. The idea of the Elite is alluring, but as I'm driving a 2015 the warranty would be of little use to me especially at a $600 premium without installation. Now, if I had just picked up a new JCW then my answer would possibly be different. I have too much time and money invested in mine to even think about trading it in. I will likely go with a Manic or Bytronic tune when my warranty expires.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 AM
subzero05
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
dinan here, no complaints

Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I didn't use one of the clip on box boosters. Factory JCW=fast car. fJCW with Mini Maniac Stage 1 ECU tune ($500)=super fast car!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Wrong. It has been shown on various dyno sheets in numerous threads on this and other forums that the combination of a piggyback and the JCW tune results in considerably more HP than either individually. I have run mine for several months with the tune alone and on another occasion the NM alone. The difference between either of these and the combination of the two is like night and day. I know you haven't tried the combo because you're happy with the tune alone, and also that you're a big fan of Dinan because you have their tune on your BMW. The idea of the Elite is alluring, but as I'm driving a 2015 the warranty would be of little use to me especially at a $600 premium without installation. Now, if I had just picked up a new JCW then my answer would possibly be different. I have too much time and money invested in mine to even think about trading it in. I will likely go with a Manic or Bytronic tune when my warranty expires.
I think your MCS is perfect as is....I’d keep it for s long time!

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (11-20-2017)

Search this Thread