F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Help! Water in both front footwells

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:31 AM
AnMe
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Water in both front footwells

Hi,

I have a F56 JCW and noticed yesterday after a very long drive (after being parked outside in heavy rain and then starting driving while raining) that both the carpets in the front footwells have been soaked in water. I've searched the internet and found that some have had issues with the evaporator's (air conditioner) drain pipe and that it could lead to water inside the footwells.

I could not see any waterdrops on any other part of the interior (not on the doors, front window or around the sunroof).

Can anybody tell me where the drain pipe from the evaporator is placed? Is it possible to see where this part is located in some repair illustration (at realoem)?

Or could there be some other issue causing this problem? I've had the front window replaced earlier but I can not see any leaks.

Thanks for your help!
/AnMe

Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Sneakz
1st Gear
Water in both foot wells (not just the passenger in LHD vehicles), suggests it may have more to do with your windshield replacement rather than the AC. I also believe the the AC issues were fixed with late production 2015MY vehicles and newer.

Last edited by Sneakz; 07-12-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM
AnMe
Neutral
Originally Posted by Sneakz
Water in both foot wells (not just the passenger in LHD vehicles), suggest it may have more to do with your windshield replacement than the AC. I also believe the the AC issues were fixed with late production 2015MY vehicles and newer.
Ok, thanks for your help.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
a/c drain can get clogged in any car, at any time but having this cause water on both sides would be EXTREME.

But easy check ... when you park, having had the a/c running on a hot day, do you see a bit of water running out from under the car after a few minutes, or a big puddle under the motor when you move the car? This is a/c condensate just like the drain from your household a/c ....

if you don't see this puddle under the car after running the a/c ... the water IS going somewhere. In your house, if no run off the a/c is not working OR the line is clogged. Whole house systems today usually have a sensor that watches for condensate to build up in the catch pan and will shut off the a/c b4 there is an overflow .... annual a/c service typically clears the line by sucking out with a shop vac

if the car's drain clogs it is usually just gunk and can be unplugged with a wire or sucking it out with a shop vac ..... checking where the drain is when it is running free is easy, just take a look next time you stop the car when a/c has been running. It is typically on the starboard side near the firewall and looks like a simple rubber hose pointing down .... water just drips out ....

Old 07-14-2017, 04:44 AM
AnMe
Neutral
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
a/c drain can get clogged in any car, at any time but having this cause water on both sides would be EXTREME.

But easy check ... when you park, having had the a/c running on a hot day, do you see a bit of water running out from under the car after a few minutes, or a big puddle under the motor when you move the car? This is a/c condensate just like the drain from your household a/c ....

if you don't see this puddle under the car after running the a/c ... the water IS going somewhere. In your house, if no run off the a/c is not working OR the line is clogged. Whole house systems today usually have a sensor that watches for condensate to build up in the catch pan and will shut off the a/c b4 there is an overflow .... annual a/c service typically clears the line by sucking out with a shop vac

if the car's drain clogs it is usually just gunk and can be unplugged with a wire or sucking it out with a shop vac ..... checking where the drain is when it is running free is easy, just take a look next time you stop the car when a/c has been running. It is typically on the starboard side near the firewall and looks like a simple rubber hose pointing down .... water just drips out ....
Thanks! I have an appointment at the Mini shop on Monday so I will let them check the car out. Have been keeping the car in the garage for most of the time since it was flooded and keeping a fan on at all times to try to dry it out. Will get back with the information after visiting the Mini shop on Monday.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by AnMe
Hi,

I have a F56 JCW and noticed yesterday after a very long drive (after being parked outside in heavy rain and then starting driving while raining) that both the carpets in the front footwells have been soaked in water. I've searched the internet and found that some have had issues with the evaporator's (air conditioner) drain pipe and that it could lead to water inside the footwells.

I could not see any waterdrops on any other part of the interior (not on the doors, front window or around the sunroof).

Can anybody tell me where the drain pipe from the evaporator is placed? Is it possible to see where this part is located in some repair illustration (at realoem)?

Or could there be some other issue causing this problem? I've had the front window replaced earlier but I can not see any leaks.

Thanks for your help!
/AnMe
I'd bet 100% on the AC evaporator drain line. I had the exact same thing w/ my 2015 MCS. Mine was kinked. They fixed it and pulled the carpet out to ensure they dried out properly.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 AM
AnMe
Neutral
Update: spoke with the Mini shop earlier today after they had looked at the car and it is linked to the evaporator drain line. They had tested running the AC and there were some water coming out of the drain but on closer inspection there appeared to be a small gap where the drain line is connected to the evaporator. They looked through the drain with an inspection camera and noticed a small gap so that's were the water has been leaking.

The issue will be fixed at the Mini shop in August.

I'm happy they found the cause and thought I'd post it here as someone else might have the same issue. Many thanks to all who helped with replies!

/AnMe

Old 07-17-2017, 01:56 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AnMe
Update: spoke with the Mini shop earlier today after they had looked at the car and it is linked to the evaporator drain line. They had tested running the AC and there were some water coming out of the drain but on closer inspection there appeared to be a small gap where the drain line is connected to the evaporator. They looked through the drain with an inspection camera and noticed a small gap so that's were the water has been leaking.

The issue will be fixed at the Mini shop in August.

I'm happy they found the cause and thought I'd post it here as someone else might have the same issue. Many thanks to all who helped with replies!

/AnMe
Glad they found the issue. Why are they making you wait until August for the repair? Parts on back order?

Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
mkt3000
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spyked
Glad they found the issue. Why are they making you wait until August for the repair? Parts on back order?
I would assume so - or there's a lot more demand than supply available. My 14 F56S had AC problems not long after I bought it, and it sat at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting on parts.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:47 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mkt3000
I would assume so - or there's a lot more demand than supply available. My 14 F56S had AC problems not long after I bought it, and it sat at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting on parts.
Dang. Hoping they redesigned the part for the 2017 models. I notice my car NEVER leaks condensate on the floor, but it's bone dry inside. Even hot days like today (95 and humid in DC).

Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
if you never see drips on the floor

suspect a problem .........

you may see nothing now .. but the water IS going somewhere

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-17-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
With the belly pan under the front end I seldom if ever see any water on the ground.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 AM
17F56
Neutral
Just found water in footwells in my new F56 this morning. It's been very humid and hot lately here. Calling dealer to get my car in soon.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Mines getting that musty smell on initial startup again. Taking it in Thursday to have that and an intermittent CEL checked out.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:08 PM
17F56
Neutral
Originally Posted by 17F56
Just found water in footwells in my new F56 this morning. It's been very humid and hot lately here. Calling dealer to get my car in soon.
Update to water in footwell. Just took my car in today and water was found under carpet. Service rep says that he has seen a lot of new minis with this problem. He told me the drain fitting on the condenser pan is being installed improperly and the condensate will leak through the fitting and the pan and then drip down onto the floor. It may not show because he says it fills from the bottom up. Also if it isn't very humid this problem may not show up either.
Service had to remove carpet and dry overnight. They also installed new drain fitting. They are also going to put some kind of protectant on carpet before returning my car. He assured me it would not happen again after the repair.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear that. Assuming yours is a 2017. What is the build date? Do you know if it was built in Oxford or Belgium?

Update to water in footwell. Just took my car in today and water was found under carpet. Service rep says that he has seen a lot of new minis with this problem. He told me the drain fitting on the condenser pan is being installed improperly and the condensate will leak through the fitting and the pan and then drip down onto the floor. It may not show because he says it fills from the bottom up. Also if it isn't very humid this problem may not show up either.
Service had to remove carpet and dry overnight. They also installed new drain fitting. They are also going to put some kind of protectant on carpet before returning my car. He assured me it would not happen again after the repair.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Service rep says that he has seen a lot of new minis with this problem. He told me the drain fitting on the condenser pan is being installed improperly and the condensate will leak through the fitting and the pan and then drip down onto the floor. It may not show because he says it fills from the bottom up. Also if it isn't very humid this problem may not show up either.
Does anyone know if there a TSB for this drain fitting issue?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:05 PM
17F56
Neutral
Sorry to hear that. Assuming yours is a 2017. What is the build date? Do you know if it was built in Oxford or Belgium?
Where would that data be?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by toyopet
Does anyone know if there a TSB for this drain fitting issue?
I do not think so. It's a install problem that only appears to happen occasionally (like someone on the assembly line is improperly installing or it's being displaced when someone else adds a part). Kind of a random thing.

Initially there was a redesign during the 2015 model run and the water in foot wells started to appear when that new part was introduced to production line. In my case, the drain line was kinked, which tells me that a part was added later that put pressure on that drain line and caused the kink. Dunno.

At least the dealers know to look for it as the causation for the water in the foot wells.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Where would that data be?
top right of the window sticker says where final assembly happened

build date info is on the door jam sticker .... month/year as I recall

Old 08-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Jennifer Palooza
Neutral
Water in footwells

Ack! I am having the same problem with my mini too, but I also have water in the boot as well. It is currently at the dealership for both leaks.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:43 PM
17F56
Neutral
There is no data on the door and unfortunately the dealer threw away window sticker. I did use a vin decoder and it said my car was built June 29,2016. I had to call dealer and he said that all new minis, except Countryman are built in Oxford.