F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F60 Countryman Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:36 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
F60 Countryman Configurator

Played with the F60 Cooper S Countryman configurator, but didn't seem to find a manual transmission option. The B38-engined Cooper does have the option. This is unprecedented. Surely this is an error, right?

Last edited by darex; 01-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:05 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hmm you are right. Only the Cooper S has 8spd auto as standard. All other F60 trims show the 6 speed manual as standard.

So I did some more digging. This might be on purpose but I can't think of why Mini would give one trim model only an automatic trans. I found on their F60 section that the 8 speed auto comes standard on the Cooper S trim, but is an option for every other trim. WTF Mini?

Last edited by trentiles; 01-09-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:50 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
Hmm you are right. Only the Cooper S has 8spd auto as standard. All other F60 trims show the 6 speed manual as standard.

So I did some more digging. This might be on purpose but I can't think of why Mini would give one trim model only an automatic trans. I found on their F60 section that the 8 speed auto comes standard on the Cooper S trim, but is an option for every other trim. WTF Mini?
Apparently it's due to some manufacturing delay where the manual trans won't be available on the Cooper S at launch so they are doing the 8-speed auto as standard. I suspect after a month or two it will change so it's in line with the rest of the lineup where the manual is standard and auto and sport auto will be the option.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:50 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Apparently it's due to some manufacturing delay where the manual trans won't be available on the Cooper S at launch so they are doing the 8-speed auto as standard. I suspect after a month or two it will change so it's in line with the rest of the lineup where the manual is standard and auto and sport auto will be the option.
That would make sense. Also when my wife went to go order one last week Mini currently doesn't have 17" wheels with all season tires so there is a free upgrade to 18" wheels with all season. Thanks Mini!!!!

Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Thanks Siriuszero. A delay is acceptable of MINI. ;-)

It's not like I want planning to be first-in-line, but perhaps for my next MINI.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
As I recall they did the same thing for the F56 JCW: the auto was available right away and the manual rolled out a bit later. I doubt many Countryman buyers are going manual though.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
As I recall they did the same thing for the F56 JCW: the auto was available right away and the manual rolled out a bit later. I doubt many Countryman buyers are going manual though.
Agreed, but if I were to go Countryman one day, I would go manual. I do see some manual R60 Countrymans around though.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:00 PM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
Played with the F60 Cooper S Countryman configurator, but didn't seem to find a manual transmission option. The B38-engined Cooper does have the option. This is unprecedented. Surely this is an error, right?
You should be able to choose the manual option. I'll check in a little while.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LORDVDR
You should be able to choose the manual option. I'll check in a little while.
You can't for the Cooper S trim. The option doesn't exist as verified by numerous people already.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The previous few people are correct. There is a delay for transmission availability for the FWD S. The All 4 will have the manual available. I am going to order my F60 with the manual. I am considering the eDrive model (BIGGG fan of it on the BMW products, the side of the dealer I am from) but I don't think they will be offering that with a manual.

The R60/R61 with a manual is one of the worst manual transmission cars I have EVER driven. They are way too heavy for the clutch and they are GUTLESS under 3k rpm. I would write clutch tickets at 15k miles for people who have driven manuals for longer than my life.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Countryman S will not be getting a manual transmission. Out of ~5k non-All4 R60 Countryman S sold last year, roughly 200 were manual.

That's straight from MINI.

And now I can no longer say, "MINI is the only brand you can get a manual transmission, regardless of trim, color, or package." :(

Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
Countryman S will not be getting a manual transmission. Out of ~5k non-All4 R60 Countryman S sold last year, roughly 200 were manual.

And now I can no longer say, "MINI is the only brand you can get a manual transmission, regardless of trim, color, or package." :(
Unfortunately, manual transmissions from almost every brand are disappearing. Going the way of the dodo bird. Eventually most if not all vehicles will be electric. That's just progress. I'm sure as **** never getting rid of my R58.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
No more manual, that stinks. Yea a lot of CM and PM models for sale are autos.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 AM
LORDVDR
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
No more manual, that stinks. Yea a lot of CM and PM models for sale are autos.
It's only a matter of time till all cars are electric. Once they figure out a way to produce electric cars more efficiently than internal combustion engines and have a reliable network of charging stations...I personally think the change over will be relatively fast...like within 10 years time. (judging by how much money companies like BMW is pumping into electric cars.)

Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon

I am not surprised at all. Especially a car that size. And Camyman said the MT in his R60 was horrible anyway.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I am not surprised at all. Especially a car that size. And Camyman said the MT in his R60 was horrible anyway.
The manual in the R60 is no different than the one in the R56.

I always found it to be a very good manual transmission to operate.