F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 New MINI Connected App Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:24 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
New MINI Connected App Update

I cannot see a single thing new. Can anyone else?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:34 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I noticed it's now called MINI Connected "Classic" and the release notes say that they will be releasing a new version soon.

BMW did the same thing with their apps, consolidating several apps into one (BMW Remote, BMW i, BMW Connected, etc)

They also recently released an Android version of the BMW Connected app with a much better feature parity with the iOS version - here's to hoping MINI is about to do the same. The Android version of MINI Connected is next to useless.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:39 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I noticed it's now called MINI Connected "Classic" and the release notes say that they will be releasing a new version soon.

BMW did the same thing with their apps, consolidating several apps into one (BMW Remote, BMW i, BMW Connected, etc)

They also recently released an Android version of the BMW Connected app with a much better feature parity with the iOS version - here's to hoping MINI is about to do the same. The Android version of MINI Connected is next to useless.
Interesting. Here's what they DIDN'T fix: The car still lists apps that I do not even have installed on my phone, and there is no way to remove them (e.g. Aupio).

Old 10-15-2016, 05:08 PM
dscabrio
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am wondering if this has anything to do with the release of a touchscreen unit in the 2017 JCW Clubman.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:53 AM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dscabrio
I am wondering if this has anything to do with the release of a touchscreen unit in the 2017 JCW Clubman.
Switching to a touchscreen is a baffling decision, once one has accustomed to, and appreciated the iDrive controller, and after all these years! Having said that, I have not tried it yet. I will miss the lack of fingerprints, on a future MINI.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:11 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
Switching to a touchscreen is a baffling decision, once one has accustomed to, and appreciated the iDrive controller, and after all these years! Having said that, I have not tried it yet. I will miss the lack of fingerprints, on a future MINI.
If it works anything like it does on BMW, you'll still have the iDrive controller and touch will just be a new way to input for those so inclined

Old 10-17-2016, 02:43 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What touch-screens need are textured areas, or Braille to be taught in school.

Like, one square with spherical bumps, one square with vertical lines, one square with horizontal lines, one square with hair...

Old 10-17-2016, 05:06 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
What touch-screens need are textured areas, or Braille to be taught in school.

Like, one square with spherical bumps, one square with vertical lines, one square with horizontal lines, one square with hair...
Something like this?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 PM
jsb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just hoping the new Connected App allows you to set a destination ahead of time, like Journey Mate does for the Connected HD.

Any idea of when the new App might be out?

Old 11-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Bossworld
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsb
I'm just hoping the new Connected App allows you to set a destination ahead of time, like Journey Mate does for the Connected HD.

Any idea of when the new App might be out?
The new app now seems to be out.

I have a MY 2011 Countryman Cooper S, with visual boost and connected, but no nav.

The car can connect and the app shows the car is connected, but it locks up my visual boost and sends it into a reboot loop.

Admittedly the app states it's mainly for 2013 cars onwards but other than minor software updates, surely an R56 from 2013 will be the same hardware wise as my R60?

Would love to know if this new app allows any kind of navigation display on the Visual boost

Old 11-25-2016, 02:18 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bossworld
The new app now seems to be out.

I have a MY 2011 Countryman Cooper S, with visual boost and connected, but no nav.

The car can connect and the app shows the car is connected, but it locks up my visual boost and sends it into a reboot loop.

Admittedly the app states it's mainly for 2013 cars onwards but other than minor software updates, surely an R56 from 2013 will be the same hardware wise as my R60?

Would love to know if this new app allows any kind of navigation display on the Visual boost
You probably need to stick with MINI Connected Classic. Hardtops changed to the 3rd gen F-series platform in 2013 and as such, the headunits are completely different. The Countryman won't switch over to the new platform until next year. In either case, no navigation display on the screen. If you do have built-in navigation, the app is only capable of sending addresses to the car's system, but not display maps from the phone.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:20 AM
Bossworld
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
You probably need to stick with MINI Connected Classic. Hardtops changed to the 3rd gen F-series platform in 2013 and as such, the headunits are completely different. The Countryman won't switch over to the new platform until next year. In either case, no navigation display on the screen. If you do have built-in navigation, the app is only capable of sending addresses to the car's system, but not display maps from the phone.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought the F56 came in for 2014, hence my confusion. Will probably downgrade to the old version of the original app that used to have the fun meter and careful driving fishbowl thing

Old 11-29-2016, 06:20 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
the old version I still use (2.8) can't see anything what rocks at the new.

I still believe, that MINI should pay my Trip to Paris and Oxford, being part of the medal game i payed for !!!!!!

The wordless erasure of these features is still a point for compensation !

Only if the excitement analyser says "dangerous cornering" I knew it was ok.

Also the fish in the Bowl was good to shorten the usual traffic jam - 5 Minutes and the Fshi sings the national Anthem you have choose .