F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 To buy a used f55 or slightly more used f55? That's the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:52 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To buy a used f55 or slightly more used f55? That's the question

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Fxx gen MINI's but not new to MINI.

I used to have a R56 MCS, which I loved, but then life got in the way of me keeping the car. Ended up trading it and have been in a constant state of MINI envy ever since.

Then came the F55, which fits most of my needs in life at the moment, so I'm looking at a couple of slightly used, but well optioned Cooper S' that are executive demos. One's moonwalk grey and a 2015, the other is thunder gray and a 2016.

Warranty/in-service dates aside, they are pretty much identical save for one having leather, the JCW interior package and about 10k miles, while the other has sat radio and about 3k miles.

Anything I should be on the lookout for on either of these being executive demos? Obviously length of warranty is a big one, but any other issues coming from the 2015 MY?

Also, I really want (and feel like I need to have) the JCW pro tuning kit on her. I've been quoted 9 hours of labor and $1200 for the install, in addition to the $1700 for the parts. That seems wildly high considering the new kit is just a tune and exhaust and I've been reading that many are getting it installed for around $400~650. Any thoughts on what I can do here?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:25 PM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would probably go with the newer one if the price is the same, that to me would be really make me decide. I have read nothing major different between 2015 and 2016 except a few option changes and the hidden compartment. Tuning kit That is expensive, I have quotes $2300-$2500 all-in from a few dealers.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Are either of them CPO cars?

Old 07-09-2016, 02:42 AM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$1200 for install of JCW tuning kit is crazy!

I'm in UK and got it supplied and fitted for £1360 which is around $1600 (weak £ currently)!

Old 07-09-2016, 05:39 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
The 2 cars are about $2,000 apart. Neither are certified but the 2015 has more options (now get I finally decided the vin) such as leather, and cornering headlights can the fixed led's in the other. The only thing I've found in the newer car is that it has satellite radio which I really wanted, but also has black wheels, which I didn't really care for.

All good problems to have, but I'm struggling regardless. The input is appreciated so thanks again. Glad to know I'm not totally off base on the tuning kit install.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:43 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Typically a dealer will quote full retail for the tuning kit installed ($2900). My dealer said they would price match any internet price I could show in print. So I got my kit for a bit over $1500 and then the dealer's labor cost. Our dealer charged us around $700 for the install and took a day to complete. The most time was spent allowing the Tune program to re-flash our car's computer (better part of a day).

Check w/ the dealer and see if the satellite radio can be added to your car. I thought I read somewhere that the Sirius radio is a software up date to the existing radio. Honestly, I have it and cancelled my subscription as we listen to thumb drive music when we motor....but everyone is different. For us the subscription cost didn't provide enough of our listening preferences to justify the expense (and what we could get w/ OTA radio).

Normally I'd say get the newer car for $2K more, but a lot depends on how long you expect to keep the car. If you plan on trading in a few years, the newer one will be worth more. If this is going to be a long term car, then get the one with better options as the value 8 years from now between the two car will be virtually nil (in fact the better optioned car may actually appeal to more people if you sell privately).

Wheel color, I too am not a fan of black. Ordered ours with the silver Tentacles. Within 5K miles I swapped mine out for a lighter set of Enkei wheels and Conti DWs. Big diff in handling and ride and actually gives me more WHP and torque due to the 32 lbs of rotational un-sprung weight I shed. The Tentacles and Run-flats will be traded with the car and the Enkei's will go on our next MINI (a JCW).

Good luck with whatever car you choose.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:57 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Another option is for me to just go all out on a JCW, but with 2 kids the 4 door just makes sense right now.

All good advice. Much appreciated.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:10 AM
MoJo4Twenty
3rd Gear
F55 is the way to go with the 2 kids. I have the jcw tune and exhaust on mine and it's great! Of course jcw f56 would be awesome but so would an r56 GP! It's always greener on the other side I guess. The 4 door was a great compromise without going countryman or clubman (I like the barn door, but my better half was never a fan) Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:50 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MoJo4Twenty
F55 is the way to go with the 2 kids. I have the jcw tune and exhaust on mine and it's great! Of course jcw f56 would be awesome but so would an r56 GP! It's always greener on the other side I guess. The 4 door was a great compromise without going countryman or clubman (I like the barn door, but my better half was never a fan) Good luck with your decision.

I feel the same about the clubman but the wife thinks like yours. Hates the look and honestly I feel like it lost a lot in the new body style.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:14 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Any thoughts on the moonwalk gray color? Is there any actual metallic flake in the paint? I'm leaning towards this option since the car has more options but I do like the thunder gray color of the alternative vehicle more.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Since you have to live with it if you are NOT thinking to sell it this time....buy the car you LOVE more.
One thought...
With so many bad sales stats...there might be great deals on new cars coming...
Been looking too...my VW is getting bought back by VW...and will sales of new MINI cars dropping... thinking rebates MIGHT Be coming.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 PM
MoJo4Twenty
3rd Gear
Thunder Grey is the color of the GP. Moonwalk Grey is just like the Challenge 210. Either one is a Win win in my book.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:09 AM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
I am a little partial to moonwalk because that's what I ordered, I like the thunder also but the more I looked at thunder the more I kept seeing a deep purple in some lights. Also darker cars are harder to keep clean, the water spots are terrible on my roof (black) , but not as bad on the car. At the end if the day buy the one you love more like someone said, I like the black wheels they look great where sparkly clean. Again it all goes to what moves you.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:12 AM
heavyJ
2nd Gear
Also satellite can be added with some coding and $175 code from bimmer which includes the first year.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by heavyJ
Also satellite can be added with some coding and $175 code from bimmer which includes the first year.
Thanks for this info. That makes it a lot easier for me to look at a few more vehicles since I wasn't sure I could add this later.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Are either of them CPO cars?
Sorry I missed this post.

No neither are cpo'd. They are both relatively new(ish). Exec demos or quick turn ins. One is a 2015 (in-service September 2015) w/10k or so miles. Better equipped (it has leather and some other nice to haves) and I'd have to add sat radio. I'm already out 1 year of warranty and since it looks like the 2017 MY is coming earlier for MINI, it's 2 MY's old now but again, really just about to hit a year. It probably should be cpo'd but I think this is a negotiating point.

The other is a 2016 (in service as of March) with 3k miles. Has leatherette and black wheels, otherwise it has everything else I was looking for as well.

The price difference as listed is 2k. The 2015 is discounted from its original msrp by about $7k. The 2016 is only about $3500 of its original msrp.

Not sure that the 2016 is priced properly but oddly enough the financing works out much better as it seems that I can take advantage of current rates/incentives. The 2015 is in no mans land because it's not a cpo, so doesn't qualify for any incentives on that front and not the current MY so I'm SOL there too.

Last edited by NJ Mini; 07-10-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 PM
vetsvette
What does KBB say when you punch in the info on the 2016. I'll bet it's discounted more than $3500.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I played golf yesterday with a guy who got a 2016 Clubman demo at the Tempe Mini store recently, 3,500 miles and about $3500 off list. So your dealership is about the same on the 2016.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:38 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I played golf yesterday with a guy who got a 2016 Clubman demo at the Tempe Mini store recently, 3,500 miles and about $3500 off list. So your dealership is about the same on the 2016.
Thanks for the input. That's helpful to know it's in line with others.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM
vetsvette
That was a Demo, and as such had probably never been titled. A used one has been titled and that makes a difference re depreciation. I bought my car after it was returned from a short term lease. A '15 model I bought in 9/2015 with 5K miles. I got it for ~$5K off MSRP, but that included extra for it being a CPO with a 5yr/75K warranty and free maintenance until 3yr/36K. Non CPO would have been even cheaper.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
That was a Demo, and as such had probably never been titled. A used one has been titled and that makes a difference re depreciation. I bought my car after it was returned from a short term lease. A '15 model I bought in 9/2015 with 5K miles. I got it for ~$5K off MSRP, but that included extra for it being a CPO with a 5yr/75K warranty and free maintenance until 3yr/36K. Non CPO would have been even cheaper.
Really good points and insight. Thanks.

In doing some more research, turns out that a couple of these demos weren't such great deals considering time in service and not being cpo'd. Not to mention my wife can't seem to get on board with moonwalk gray so my car search continues.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 AM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Is White Silver available on the 4 door? With black roof and mirrors it is the best of both worlds. Overall light metallic color, but dark trim. Just sayin

One major thing I enjoy about these new MINIs is the back license plate trim. Instead of chrome, it's shiny black. Still get the chrome around the windows and hatch and hood, but the grill and rear trim is black. Nice combo.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:08 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
One thought...
With so many bad sales stats...there might be great deals on new cars coming...
And since the cars OP is looking really are used, there had better be a damn good price they offer. I just paid 12% under retail for a 2015 leftover F55S last month. So if they aren't beating that by a lot they have some splainin' to do.

Personally unless the deal was just outstanding I would insist upon CPO warranty coverage to do the deal.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
And since the cars OP is looking really are used, there had better be a damn good price they offer. I just paid 12% under retail for a 2015 leftover F55S last month. So if they aren't beating that by a lot they have some splainin' to do.

Personally unless the deal was just outstanding I would insist upon CPO warranty coverage to do the deal.

Well you hit the nail on the head. Looking at these executive demos, there really isn't much off and to be driving off the lot as a 2 owner car, the deals need to be more enticing. I really want to add the tuning kit as well so that's just more cost on a so-so deal. I'll keep looking and if things don't work out, I'm perfectly fine going the cpo'd R56 JCW or s with tuning kit route for a while too until I'm ready to just custom order my f55.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:35 PM
MoJo4Twenty
3rd Gear
Custom order if you have time and money. You'll never have to second guess your decision. I still wish mine had roof rails. Would have helped with longer trips. Each mini is a little different anyways. It'll be hard to find the perfect one.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 To buy a used f55 or slightly more used f55? That's the question