F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Honestly - F54/F56 troublesome?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:36 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Honestly - F54/F56 troublesome?

I have two R53 JCW's I'm considering parting with and thinking about an F54 or F56.

But... the horror... Granted most people use the interwebs to vent their problems. I'm not trying to minimize them though - they're legit issues!! It's hopeful that people are too busy happily motoring to post they're happily motoring.

I'm a flag-bearer for the brand but there's no way I want to get rid of two 11 year old cars to get a new car that is even less reliable. I'm looking for 4 years of service with a minimum of downtime at the dealer (aren't we all) or longer if I'm able to get a ****-to-tail warranty.

I'm considering the 2015+ m/y, slushbox S as it's more family friendly and I haven't heard of as many problems as yet. I've never owned a "new" car and only recently have I ever had a car under warranty (my S80)

Now, most of the problems can be considered "teething issues" with a new model development. But we're approaching the second/third year of production and things should be moving along well overall now.

Please let me know your thoughts.... I want to hear from each and every one of you about your successes (and horrors).

Please tell us the model and date of production when you answer

Would you buy another one right now if had the chance?
What features of the car do you like?
What features do you have that you would rather do without now with hindsight?

Thanks for your time, (hopefully) Happy Motoring!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:44 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Have you driven one yet....
Going from a r53...I suggest you do...
Then you can decide if it is even an option... honestly, it is a very different car, and for the $$ if you get very many options, I decided against it....
Where the r53 has a raw, visceral feel, the f-series, not so much....getting older, I was hoping for a bit more comfort, but they kinda (imo) went a bit too far....
Till you spend $40,000+ on a JCW, the new MINI versions are kinda like so many other cars....
Now the JCW is great if you have $40,000+ to spend...but for me, that's not an option, especially since my 2005 was about $25k loaded up....

Old 05-20-2016, 11:54 AM
RegieB
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have 2016 MCS and only 1000 miles. The slush box is pretty good. I wish I had gone for a JCW for more power.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Have you driven one yet....
Going from a r53...I suggest you do...
Then you can decide if it is even an option... honestly, it is a very different car, and for the $$ if you get very many options, I decided against it....
Where the r53 has a raw, visceral feel, the f-series, not so much....getting older, I was hoping for a bit more comfort, but they kinda (imo) went a bit too far....
Till you spend $40,000+ on a JCW, the new MINI versions are kinda like so many other cars....
Now the JCW is great if you have $40,000+ to spend...but for me, that's not an option, especially since my 2005 was about $25k loaded up....
Thanks ZippyNH, I've always followed your adventures and seems I'm on a similar path. I haven't driven one yet (sat in plenty), but as I age the need for the visceral is weening and I'm not looking for as much adventure whilst still staying with the brand. The idea of fitting 5 of us is also appealing but I'm not a countryman/paceman kinda guy.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It feels exactly like a BMW now. The interior materials, the electronics, the drive, it's all BMW now. It feels exactly like their F-series cars if you've driven any of them.

I'm on my 2nd year and was one of the first batch of cars delivered. No real problems to speak of. Certainly nothing I would consider a reliability issue. I've got a faulty seal on the rear hatch that let's water pool around my repair kit, and a few rattles which probably came from having a stiffer suspension. That's it. Then again this is our 6th MINI and we've never had any issues with any of them, so I guess YMMV?

I would definitely recommend checking out the justa's too, they're as fast as an R53 S and get absolutely insane gas mileage.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:33 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 produced in July 2014, delivery in October 2014 due to the EPA debacle.

Currently have 17800 trouble free miles (had an amplifier issue about four months ago).

Others may feel it's too BMWish, but for me, I'm very happy.

Also happy with my move from my 2009 R56 MCS (owned for almost six years) to a "justa" Cooper.

Last edited by aafflyer; 05-20-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Typo on date car delivered
Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM
jadium
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2015 with 8k miles on it. No real issues at all other than a software update. I was a little disappointed that satellite radio was not standard and had to pay for a software install to make it work. Irked me a little given I have premium sound system. I have driven both the automatic and the manual. I would advise you get the manual. It is so much more fun. Other than that, happy owner here.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:18 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamez
I have two R53 JCW's I'm considering parting with and thinking about an F54 or F56.

But... the horror... Granted most people use the interwebs to vent their problems. I'm not trying to minimize them though - they're legit issues!! It's hopeful that people are too busy happily motoring to post they're happily motoring.

I'm a flag-bearer for the brand but there's no way I want to get rid of two 11 year old cars to get a new car that is even less reliable. I'm looking for 4 years of service with a minimum of downtime at the dealer (aren't we all) or longer if I'm able to get a ****-to-tail warranty.

I'm considering the 2015+ m/y, slushbox S as it's more family friendly and I haven't heard of as many problems as yet. I've never owned a "new" car and only recently have I ever had a car under warranty (my S80)

Now, most of the problems can be considered "teething issues" with a new model development. But we're approaching the second/third year of production and things should be moving along well overall now.

Please let me know your thoughts.... I want to hear from each and every one of you about your successes (and horrors).

Thanks ZippyNH, I've always followed your adventures and seems I'm on a similar path. I haven't driven one yet (sat in plenty), but as I age the need for the visceral is weening and I'm not looking for as much adventure whilst still staying with the brand. The idea of fitting 5 of us is also appealing but I'm not a countryman/paceman kinda guy.
Im not sure why your thanking him. I can guarantee you, someone posts a thread asking about the F56 he will show up to bad mouth them. He doesn't own one, hasn't owned one. He's driven one. He wants to make sure EVERYONE knows he doesn't like them.
He doesn't even own a Mini at all right now.
Well...........
We all know what he thinks.
I own one. And Ive driven an 03 JCW tune car. So I can tell you the new ones are much better than the old ones. Im thinking about getting a first gen to go back and forth to work. But Im not sure. I don't want to deal with all the issues.
Sure Ive only got 6000+ on my 2016, but I don't have any issues or complaints. Its fun to drive, its comfortable to drive. It has the adaptive sport suspension so it is nice and comfy in normal mode and stiffens up really good in sport mode.
The new manuals are light years ahead of the old. Very smooth. Very nice to drive.
Only problem I have is I don't want to daily drive it. Well I do, but my DD is different from others. My car is filthy due to being left in a dirt lot every day with trucks driving around in it. So I want to move it to weekend driver status.
Car is 2016, took delivery in late Oct. Built in the Netherlands.
Ive driven it 470 miles straight on a 1000 mile + road trip vacation. Freeways, backroads, 2 lane twisties, in town, 100+mph, 15mph, car never skipped a beat and was comfortable and fun every step of the way.
Love it.
Looks good, drives good, comfortable, fun.

Ask anything about my experience with the car Ill give you an answer.
Im happily motoring

Old 05-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 MCS F56 May build. Purchased off the lot in late November. 5,900 miles. Auto. Love it! Love it! Love it! The only issues I've had were a rough idle but was fixed with a software update, and a bolt in my steering column that wasn't torqued right. All fixed in one visit for my first oil change.

I don't have any complaints. I can honestly say I get in my car every morning and say to myself " I love this car "

They are built like a BMW. Solid sound when you close the doors. Nicely appointed interior. It's definitely more grown up that previous Minis. Some people hate that about it. I personally love it. It's fun yet sophisticated. Go get one!

Last edited by Lucila; 05-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:52 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would have kept my R50 if I could have. I miss it every once in a while.

I like the F56, but I wouldn't recommend it [over an R53, I don't know what else you would buy new]. I've had a few problems with mine.

Hoping the Rocketman will win me back.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:10 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
Im not sure why your thanking him. I can guarantee you, someone posts a thread asking about the F56 he will show up to bad mouth them. He doesn't own one, hasn't owned one. He's driven one. He wants to make sure EVERYONE knows he doesn't like them. ...

:
Boy....I thought I was giving him a pretty neutral opinion...
Told him to go drive one before he made a decision on what to do...the SINGLE most important thing you can do when contemplating a new car is to drive it...see if it is a good match...
You have to admit that the "F" series is more BMW like than the r53....some want that, some don't. For me it was not the right car at the right time...my r53 was....had high hopes the F series would be...so I have a different daily driver...been playing with getting a classic or even a gen1 project....
Don't have to make it sound like I wish bad things on all those who like the new cars!! They are faster, bigger, and get better mpg than the older cars, with great technology. It just doesn't "speak" to me like the gen1....less of a driver's car imo.
Hoping the Rocketman will win me back.
+1

Old 05-20-2016, 04:20 PM
MoBoost
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm quite happy with my 2015 JCW 6MT after 12 years with an JCW R53. The new car is different, but so am I now! BTW, you just need to use some restraint with the options to keep the price reasonable. We'll see how the car does from a reliability and durability standpoint; only about 8000 miles at this point. I loved my R53, but it was maintenance intensive and the only car I've ever owned that had multiple flatbed experiences.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:48 PM
BillM
1st Gear
2014 S 6MT, with Burger, with 55k miles. No trouble other than recall items which were handled seamlessly, with loaner car, and my car came back washed and vacuumed. Have not spent one dime on unplanned maintenance.
Car is great drivers car. Rotates like crazy when having fun, calm and stable on the highway, brakes great, great feedback, not as numb as most BMWs are now. With LED headlights, clear signals, stripes, 17" wheels, heated seats, still out the door below 30k. Close to 40mpg if driven 70-73mph.
Burger made for very fun change in what felt a bit underpowered before.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm at 74k miles since July 2014. Yes, 74k. Car details below.

The car is a gem. I love driving it. I live in Colorado and have been zipping around the mountains and having a blast. Last summer I took off for 3 months and camped out from Colorado to Death Valley to British Columbia to Maine to South Carolina and back to Colorado. The non-S has no problems with hills.

The only serious problem I can think of is a brake caliper froze up. It was replaced under warranty. There's been a few recalls that have been taken care of.

Gas mileage has been 38-40 mpg, mostly highway. I haven't investigated closely, but I think recently I've seen some 44 mpg tanks. Maybe mileage improves with more miles?

What would I have bought differently? Add the backup camera and auto-dimming mirrors. Not opted for the DDC. Not got run flats.

I'm 100% happy that I bought the car.

Would I buy another one? Not sure. I'm 64 and not rich. I've had a lot of fun with the car. But I'd be worried about the maintenance costs over a, say, 10 year period. I'd probably sacrifice the fun factor for reliability.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Boy....I thought ...
And Ive seen your name pop up enough saying the same thing to think your just a troll.
Guess what. Your opinion is just your opinion. It isn't based on anything other than your personal preference, So what "speaks" to you doesn't mean anything in context to someone else. The old cars don't "speak" to me. But you don't see my name on every thread from someone asking about info on an older car telling them that, do you?
Get a clue dude.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Thank you all... Please keep them coming! You're all making me feel much better about progressing towards a slushbox.

As to ZippyNH... I have known of, and read along with him for my entire ownership. He knows exactly what I've been through (he dealt with a lot of it himself) and even without having a first gen currently he's a MASSIVE help to our first gen community with brilliant opinions and accurate advice. Our first gen community would be at a major loss without his help every day. I can't speak to his comments about 3rd gens yet as I haven't read this side long enough - but what he's said here is accurate: Test drive one yourself - it's not as visceral, it's more plush, (and paraphrasing: more electronic).

Surprisingly to me... I believe that may be what I'm looking for now as I get older. I've had my thrills, now it's time for me to get something more reliable.

I'm of the opinion that "they don't make them like they use too" and it saddens me when I spend such an amount of time wrenching vs living my life. Hey - it's great that I have the ability to do anything I want on the R53's... but the problem is; I wouldn't be able to afford to daily drive them if I didn't wrench on them myself.

I know full well that I wouldn't want to deal with any of the second or third gens out of warranty, and am planning accordingly with my expectations and financials.

Lets keep the thread on track and hear from everyone on their experiences and advice for the new buyers out there. It's refreshing and exciting to hear the good experiences rather than to read threads and threads about the bad ones.

Serious question though... what percentage are made in the Netherlands? I'd want an Oxford one so I can maintain my appearances at my local British events.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM
DunkM
4th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
So gonna be honest, didn't read all the replies because I am ADD right now. But,

my answer is that I would completely buy another F56, and I plan to. I love the car. I also plan to keep the one I currently own for 10 to 15 years minimum. Trying to compare it to the first gen is not really fair for it, as BMW was absolutely not trying to make another one of those.

I came from BMWs and to me this car is almost exactly what I wish BMW would have made the 3 series into. As a fan of the e36 BMW (90's era 3 series), I feel like the F56 is kindred spirit of that car. People claimed the e36 was too soft and too refined compared to the e30. But to me it is what makes this car so great, when you push it you find that spirit of the r53, but when I am stuck in stop and go traffic, I am also not dying (and yes, I am 25, but I enjoy the fact that I can put my Boss (who is 65) in my car, fit him inside and make a 2 hour drive and him get out and not feel like origami.)

As far as horror stories, the only ones I have heard of are the people who expect these cars to economical car reliable. (which is silly as these cars are truly luxury cars that are the size of a small car, not upscale economy cars). BMW has always had idiosyncrasies and those have completely transferred to this new car. Personally, I love it.

The engine is stupid simple, I can name and find all the parts on the engine in the new car without pulling a single plastic panel. I would even feel completely comfortable doing a full engine rebuild. See, BMW quit trying to use electronics to make the car more than it was, now they just use them to make them more car. (I am not saying in that sentence that they have gotten everything right, just that they are now engineering electronics the right way.)

I also drive this car like a complete maniac, changing gears at 4-5k most of the time, and usually hit 6k at least 3 times a week. If these engines are anything like any other BMW engine, than the hard driving will actually make my car last longer, but only time will tell.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Serious question though... what percentage are made in the Netherlands? I'd want an Oxford one so I can maintain my appearances at my local British events.
Thats a good question. Another question I would ask is, is there a difference in dependability between the three plants? I like to think that the cars in Born are basically built by Germans, being so close, while the ones built in oxford are, well, British built, and England doesn't have a real good reputation for building reliable cars. Ive been wondering if that was the difference in dependability over the years. Some people seem to have nothing but problems, while others have no problems other than those problematic parts like the badly designed thermostat housing.
As far as Zippy is concerned, he may be all kinds of an expert on the first gens, but when it comes to the 3rd gen cars he's just a troll. Is it really groundbreaking advice to test drive one yourself?
I don't go to the first gen section much because I don't have much need to, but I do have 3 threads there right now actually asking for advice, and while Ive gotten some good advice, he hasn't bothered to offer any. So I am sorry bro, but I can't put your buddy on a pedestal. All Ive personally seen is a troll.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DunkM
So gonna be honest, didn't read all the replies because I am ADD right now. But,

my answer is that I would completely buy another F56, and I plan to. I love the car. I also plan to keep the one I currently own for 10 to 15 years minimum. Trying to compare it to the first gen is not really fair for it, as BMW was absolutely not trying to make another one of those.

I came from BMWs and to me this car is almost exactly what I wish BMW would have made the 3 series into. As a fan of the e36 BMW (90's era 3 series), I feel like the F56 is kindred spirit of that car. People claimed the e36 was too soft and too refined compared to the e30. But to me it is what makes this car so great, when you push it you find that spirit of the r53, but when I am stuck in stop and go traffic, I am also not dying (and yes, I am 25, but I enjoy the fact that I can put my Boss (who is 65) in my car, fit him inside and make a 2 hour drive and him get out and not feel like origami.)

As far as horror stories, the only ones I have heard of are the people who expect these cars to economical car reliable. (which is silly as these cars are truly luxury cars that are the size of a small car, not upscale economy cars). BMW has always had idiosyncrasies and those have completely transferred to this new car. Personally, I love it.

The engine is stupid simple, I can name and find all the parts on the engine in the new car without pulling a single plastic panel. I would even feel completely comfortable doing a full engine rebuild. See, BMW quit trying to use electronics to make the car more than it was, now they just use them to make them more car. (I am not saying in that sentence that they have gotten everything right, just that they are now engineering electronics the right way.)

I also drive this car like a complete maniac, changing gears at 4-5k most of the time, and usually hit 6k at least 3 times a week. If these engines are anything like any other BMW engine, than the hard driving will actually make my car last longer, but only time will tell.

There ya go.

Last edited by Blues Trucker; 05-20-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:52 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Thats a good question. Another question I would ask is, is there a difference in dependability between the three plants? I like to think that the cars in Born are basically built by Germans, being so close, while the ones built in oxford are, well, British built, and England doesn't have a real good reputation for building reliable cars. Ive been wondering if that was the difference in dependability over the years. Some people seem to have nothing but problems, while others have no problems other than those problematic parts like the badly designed thermostat housing.
Excellent point and question. Wonder if in addition to build date we need to start tracking plant too. (what's the 3rd plant?)

Old 05-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Third plant is in Austria, but from what I understand the F56 isn't built there. Im not completely sure though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
And Ive seen your name pop up enough saying the same thing to think your just a troll.
Guess what. Your opinion is just your opinion. It isn't based on anything other than your personal preference, So what "speaks" to you doesn't mean anything in context to someone else. The old cars don't "speak" to me. But you don't see my name on every thread from someone asking about info on an older car telling them that, do you?
Get a clue dude.
Fan boy I am not!!
I provide an honest opinion from my point of view. Do I just bad mouth new cars...no...look at what I said above...said they are different...they are aimed at a different buyer, and a different audience. No shame in that. When someone is ready to put down 30-45,000$ of their hard earned income on a car, I fir one, like to know what I am getting. Love can be blind, but car ownership can make one a hater if you buy the wrong one. An informed buyer, who chose wisely is a happy owner....
An owner who bought the wrong car....one who feels they overspent are the ones who nitpicks the brand. If someone looks for info...give it to them.
Sure sure there have been loads of recalls resulting in complete engine replacements on t select f-series....sure they were delayed in Port...should I go on? That stuff is behind them...the new cars are much better....just as the 2002 gen1 had issues, and the 2007 gen2 had issues, the 14, early 15 cars had issues....now they are settling down...
I sold my car 1 year ago...would have put be in an EARLY gen3... nuff said?
I had to ask myself the EXACT SAME QUESTION....THINK I THOUGHT ABOUT IT? THINK I COULD HELP THE OP?

Old 05-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Fan boy I am not!!
THINK I COULD HELP THE OP?
No, I don't. Haven't I made that clear?
I moved on....
Had a 2005 s...
Found the new cars were simply not compelling....
They are fine cars, IMO, a bit overpriced, but lack a certain something that made the older cars special....
I looked at my car, as it approached 10 years old, and realized that I could spend $4000 or so (could see that every rubber and trim part was getting a bit ratty, and a clutch would be needed, and then the seats....the listvkept getting longer....) on it in the near future, and a few parts I had recently bought were becoming special order dealer parts, as the gen2 cars were mostly gone....so why would they bother stocking anything gen1?! With basicly zero new modding of older cars with new ideas getting done, and the higher cost of premium fuel and comparatively poor mpg (30 mpg) of the gen1 cars, I decided it was time to say goodbye.
Sure I loved my car....but the scene (mini) and the company has changed....
For me it was time to move on....
Hope to maybe pick up a 3rd car, a gen1 mini someday....but logisticly it was just not possible too keep a 3rd car around for me.
Naww...
Satire is hard convey online...
I go back too 2004....so know what you are saying.
The average makeup or clientele of MINI has changed....
They are really marketing the car as a lifestyle choice...and largely dumbed down the feel...still sportier than average, but not gen1 like. The newer cars might be nicer in so.e ways to spend many hours.... But are no longer (IMO) true drivers cars.
Good luck with your search!!

Last edited by Blues Trucker; 05-21-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

2015 MCs Automatic May 2015 production

Yes, I'd buy another one right now (except I love this car too much to part with it for another 3.5 years).

Pretty much like everything about the car. I have the Nav and DDC (love the DDC as I can soften the ride in sport mode). Storage package, Sirius, JCW interior.

HK Stereo sounds nice. Not quite as full sounding as the Bose in my C7, but quite nice overall.

I think the ambient lighting in the car is very cool (and adjustable).

AC is strong and blows cold air (no need for heat in SW Florida).

Car rides nice and is peppy as hell (add the JCW tune kit and it's way better)

Cargo capacity is good considering the size of the car. I don't like the fact that it's difficult to put anything in the back seat w/o sliding the driver seat forward (like a bag of groceries or a single item). You have to open the hatch.

Way too many little features (standard) that are wonderful.

The only problem I've with the car was the evaporator filter issue getting soaked and mildewing (this has been addressed and fixed through a service bulletin. An associated issue was a kink in my AC drain line (after April 2015 a new evaporator was being installed in all the car being manufactured. Mine was installed and had a kink in the drain line which caused the water to soak the carpet on the passenger side of the car. Dealer fixed it and it's been fine ever since. This was the only actual manufacturing defect I had with the car. (The Evaporator was a design issue).

My one dislike is the center stack displaying music info in red/orange and some of the text is dimmer than others making it nearly impossible to read during the day especially on sunny days. If they had just let all the text display at the brightest setting it would be fine, but the didn't. At night it's fine.

I'd add Comfort Access on my next Mini.

I would dump the Satellite radio. Never listen to it.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 PM
jeffreyevens
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 MC Auto Trans,9/14 build

I also had a R53,manual trans for 10 1/2 years. Loved it but it was time to move on. Being ten years older I now have different want's and need's. Comparing the R53 to the F56 is like comparing apple's to orange's. That being said I am totally happy with my base Cooper, 1yr old @ 8500 miles. No problems,had one software update. This car is just as fast or faster than my R53,but doesn't quite handle as good. This is my first auto trans in 50yrs, dropping it in drive and sitting back in the sport-seat and hearing the 3cyl-turbo go through the gears is amazing. Nice and comfortable in std settings but rips when in sport mode!! Great car over all. I miss my R53 at times but I'am not going back, I plan on driving this one 10+ yrs also!

Happy Motoring, Jeff

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Honestly - F54/F56 troublesome?