F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Tuning Kit problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM
BellaF56
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW Tuning Kit problem

Every now and again the baffle on my exhaust will close while it is open. It has been happening a lot more frequently in recent weeks. I notice it will usually do this when I come to a stop and when I accelerate I notice the exhaust note is different. Only once has this happened while in motion. I changed out the battery on the remote thinking that was going bad causing the bluetooth to lose connection and close the baffle. Has anyone else with this kit ran in to the same issue? I don't want to leave it at the dealer for weeks hoping they can duplicate the issue before the come up with a solution. Any thoughts on this random issue?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BellaF56
Every now and again the baffle on my exhaust will close while it is open. It has been happening a lot more frequently in recent weeks. I notice it will usually do this when I come to a stop and when I accelerate I notice the exhaust note is different. Only once has this happened while in motion. I changed out the battery on the remote thinking that was going bad causing the bluetooth to lose connection and close the baffle. Has anyone else with this kit ran in to the same issue? I don't want to leave it at the dealer for weeks hoping they can duplicate the issue before the come up with a solution. Any thoughts on this random issue?
Do you know if they did a firmware update on your car before they installed it or better yet, do you know your current firmware version/integration level?

There was a problem with the tuning kit and older versions of the software that caused a delay in its release. If they never updated you, it would be reasonable to assume that your exhaust valve could be affected.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 AM
BellaF56
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can find that info out, but being that the kit is less than 3 months installed, I would presume that all software is up to date. I could be wrong however.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Ih8driedfish
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does this as well except I've noticed it will close when I deaccelerate quickly to go over speed bumps. Otherwise it seems random; Can't replicate the problem at all. I'm planning to take it to the dealer in a few weeks after I finish installing some goodies.

My kit was installed ~3-4 months ago.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BellaF56
Phew!! So I'm not going crazy! I swear it was happening to me and first thought, "maybe it's just the light that stops blinking but the valves are still open." But today I confirmed that the exhaust just randomly closed. I am booking a service appointment as we speak. Just got the car February 7th and the JCW tuning kit was installed at the port.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Phew!! So I'm not going crazy! I swear it was happening to me and first thought, "maybe it's just the light that stops blinking but the valves are still open." But today I confirmed that the exhaust just randomly closed. I am booking a service appointment as we speak. Just got the car February 7th and the JCW tuning kit was installed at the port.
I have the kit on my car. I did not realize that the light blinks when the valve is open. LOL I would listen for the exhaust note to change and thought that was the only way you'd know.

So if the button controller is blinking, the valve is open.....if it's not blinking, it's closed, correct?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I have the kit on my car. I did not realize that the light blinks when the valve is open. LOL I would listen for the exhaust note to change and thought that was the only way you'd know. So if the button controller is blinking, the valve is open.....if it's not blinking, it's closed, correct?
Correct. And I notice the exhaust note changing. It doesn't happen randomly when I drive on the freeway, but does occur during everyday street driving (stops, reversing, changing from Sport to Manual, etc).

Attached Thumbnails JCW Tuning Kit problem-image-1647085240.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 07:54 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Well hell. I never got the paper with mine. Just the JCW certification paperwork and serial numbers in a brown cardboard envelope / with the work order and charges.

Wonder if there is a .PDF somewhere I can download and print. Betting my dealership mechanic threw mine away after the install.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Well hell. I never got the paper with mine. Just the JCW certification paperwork and serial numbers in a brown cardboard envelope / with the work order and charges. Wonder if there is a .PDF somewhere I can download and print. Betting my dealership mechanic threw mine away after the install.

I think mine came in the bag with my remote.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yes, never saw that , must be new. was not in the kit when launched . Maybe new?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-prices-3.html

Maybe sent those out to each dealership. I can see the stock code for the paper in the bottom and it looks like a dealer issues manual , not a MINI part number card stock ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-22-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes, never saw that , must be new. was not in the kit when launched . Maybe new? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-prices-3.html Maybe sent those out to each dealership. I can see the stock code for the paper in the bottom and it looks like a dealer issues manual , not a MINI part number card stock ?
Yeah that's from my friends JCW he recently got. My paper is the same for my Cooper S.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Has to be new then. As to inform people. Scan it and post up on on the thread front and back for reference would be helpful.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Yep. I got one with mine. But, like I told my 1st Sergeant one day when I forgot my name tag... "I memorized it and threw it away"!

Old 03-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Has to be new then. As to inform people. Scan it and post up on on the thread front and back for reference would be helpful.
You meant to say "please" right?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Of course.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Of course.
Let me search around the house when I get home and see what I can find.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
ok, cool. Thanks Looks like on the back of that paper it shows the switch instructions or something?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Ditto ..... got it, read it, then threw it away. All the dealer said to do was press it 2x and make sure the light blinks.

I also threw away the little foam doughnut that holds it in the cupholder.

Win some, lose some

Old 03-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Ih8driedfish
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So theres at least a handful of us with the same problem. I took mine in for service and they were unable to replicate the problem. I know user @mct has the same problem.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:34 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
I'm wondering if this issue isn't more wide spread (and/or maybe manifests over time). I didn't realize if the light wasn't blinking red, the exhaust valve was closed, so unsure if mine is open all the time now. Something I will check continuously as I motor.

Not sure what the warranty is on the contraption and given it's location w/ weather exposure and moisture and heat that the value won't bind eventually.

I suppose if mine decide to quit working, I'd opt for the valve stuck in the open position, since it is one of the things I do when getting ready to pull away.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Should be 2 years unlimited miles under MINI. Or if installed when new, covered under the manufacturer warranty by MINI sometimes.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Should be 2 years unlimited miles under MINI. Or if installed when new, covered under the manufacturer warranty by MINI sometimes.
But the problem is, what if the Mini Dealers or MiniUSA dont know how to fix it? What if it is a simple bluetooth connectivity issue where the communication between the remote and the exhaust drops and it's one of those things they (the dealer and/or Mini corporate) blame on events out of their control?

I'm not criticizing your point, just really thinking aloud that what they might probably do is in the next go around, hard-wire a button to control the valve in the exhaust.

My other question is, whether Mini will solve a problem based on the "improper use" of one its products.

For example, if I said "Hey, in stop-and-go traffic, the button stops blinking randomly and the exhaust flap closes!"

And they respond, "Ok, well, the 'track mode' is only supposed to be used on the track anyways. Does it stop working on the track?"

Im just wondering if Mini will even bother trying to fix this issue for the various reasons above or maybe others I havent thought of.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
They should start a Puma case if a bunch of people complain, then head engineering at BMW / MINI group look into it. Its a core after-sales product, they usually will prioritize those. MINI owners are good at finding bugs with issues, not were maybe missed in testing.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Think we found the issue on mine to be my remote is faulty so they ordered me a new one (should arrive next week).

We did a test last week on the way to Sebring last week where I opened the flap with my remote and had another Cooper S with JCW exhaust follow close behind me on the trip with their exhaust open as well.

It seems that while the initial request to open the flap is unique to each exhaust system/remote combination (his remote could not open my flap initially), the subsequent pings that take place every 8 seconds after it is open does not appear to be unique. As a result, my flap stayed open for 1.5 hours on the way to Sebring (it has never stayed open that long before). To test things out, I had the car behind me fall back and I raced ahead, out of range, and my flap promptly closed within a minute of going out of range of his remote...

Will see if new remote fixes it...

BTW - I hang my bluetooth remote on my rear view mirror now so I can watch the red light ping every 8 seconds. At least on mine, after a few minutes, it will glow solid red for a few seconds, letting me know it has lost communication and the flap closes.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Pedro, thanks for the info and testing, so it looks like a faulty signal.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 JCW Tuning Kit problem