F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Retrofit Storage Package SA 493

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:29 PM
AlphaQuad
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Retrofit Storage Package SA 493

I went ahead and wanted to add the storage package to my 2014 F56. I always wanted the flat load floor and the under floor storage compartment. I was lucky enough to find parts on ebay from a parted out car and was able to source the panels and all the hardware for a bit less than $250 which is about the same price to add SA 493 from the factory. the nice thing about the retrofit is all the holes for the screws and bolts are already there. You just need the correct side panels and hardware and it's pretty much a 45 min job at the most. I attached some photos and hopefully you guys will find helpful!

This is the original seat latch that needs to be replace with the adjustable latch so you have the option to put your rear seats at almost a 90 degree angle to load additional cargo without folding them flat. You could do without replacing this piece but you won't get that feature.

This trim piece needs to be removed from the upper side panel if you are replacing the seat latch with the adjustable version.

View of the adjustable latch installed with the trim piece removed from the upper trim panel.

View of the cargo floor latch attached to the adjustable seat latch.

Another view of the adjustable seat latch.

Adjustable seat latch in default position

Screw that attached the cargo floor latch to the adjustable seat latch.

View of the attachment point of the cargo floor level trim piece with the lower cargo trim panel removed.

View of the cargo floor level trim piece snapped on after the cargo side panel has been installed. Notice how it lines up with the hole!

Rear attachment point for cargo hook.

Rear attachment point for cargo hook with lower side cargo trim piece installed.

Right lower cargo trim panel installed

Right lower cargo trim panel installed, with cargo floor latch.

Flat load floor installed set at highest level.

Flat load floor installed set at lower level.

Another view.

The following 3 users liked this post by AlphaQuad:
freetelly (02-23-2018), NBCGLX (09-18-2019), PleaseCallMeGarry (04-01-2018)
Old 11-18-2015, 03:35 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... Thanks for the write up!

Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could also go the lazy route and just purchase the floor piece itself and throw it in the trunk as I did. I think it's about $50. Obviously the latch functionality isn't there but at least you get the floor.

Thanks for the write-up. Maybe I'll get around to doing it one day.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
That's good info there , great write up.

Info here on the flat load piece:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ent-mat-3.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Guam 4 Life
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to revisit this thread hoping you can reply back, AlphaQuad. I found the below retrofit storage compartment package at OutMotoring.com and they're selling it for $478.50. They provided a listing of what they're including in their kit. Can you confirm if it looks like they're including all the parts since you've installed the storage package yourself?

https://www.outmotoring.com/retrofit...477298611.html

Great write-up and pictures and I'm thinking about purchasing the kit and installing myself, but worried it might not include everything.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 PM
AlphaQuad
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems the list is complete. Try pricing the items individually if you can get the price down any lower. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Guam 4 Life
Trying to revisit this thread hoping you can reply back, AlphaQuad. I found the below retrofit storage compartment package at OutMotoring.com and they're selling it for $478.50. They provided a listing of what they're including in their kit. Can you confirm if it looks like they're including all the parts since you've installed the storage package yourself?

https://www.outmotoring.com/retrofit...477298611.html

Great write-up and pictures and I'm thinking about purchasing the kit and installing myself, but worried it might not include everything.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Guam 4 Life
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AlphaQuad
It seems the list is complete. Try pricing the items individually if you can get the price down any lower. Good luck!
Thanks

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try and find the price of each item on the internet and see what the total comes out to. I was also trying to look on eBay for some of the individual parts like you did so I could keep the cost down, but didn't have any luck.

Appreciate your help!

Old 05-06-2017, 01:25 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm thinking about going with just the floor panel since I have a rear seat delete installed.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Guam 4 Life
1st Gear
I was thinking about just buying the floor panel (would be a lot cheaper), but want to keep my backseats and have a flat level surface with the backseats folded down for loading stuff.

The retrofit storage package allows the floor panel to be raised level with the backseats when folded and it's sturdy. I've been searching the internet and haven't found any simple way to have the floor panel raised and level with the backseat folded without having to cut wood or fabricate something.

Originally Posted by vetsvette
I'm thinking about going with just the floor panel since I have a rear seat delete installed.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:45 AM
cmdycrzr
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Fabricated floor panel?

Has anyone made a panel out of wood or other material? Seems like an opportunity to create something different.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:24 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlphaQuad
I went ahead and wanted to add the storage package to my 2014 F56. I always wanted the flat load floor and the under floor storage compartment. I was lucky enough to find parts on ebay from a parted out car and was able to source the panels and all the hardware for a bit less than $250 which is about the same price to add SA 493 from the factory. the nice thing about the retrofit is all the holes for the screws and bolts are already there. You just need the correct side panels and hardware and it's pretty much a 45 min job at the most. I attached some photos and hopefully you guys will find helpful!
This is great! I already have the flat load floor. I went the frugal route shortly after purchasing my F56 back in 2014. I'm interested in this retrofit but I have a couple of questions:

1. How easy is it to remove the fuzzy cargo trim pieces from the interior of the car?

2. Any special tools required?

3. Does the retrofit kit from outmotoring come with instructions?

4. For someone like me who has never worked on his car that deeply (i.e. never removed an interior trim piece) is this job intimidating?

FYI, for those interested... I contacted the store and asked them about a discount if someone already has some of the pieces, since I have the flat load floor. They said they would refund me a certain amount after I made the purchase of the kit. They wouldn't just charge me a lesser amount for the kit w/o the load floor.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM
freetelly
Neutral
Originally Posted by sal1k
1. How easy is it to remove the fuzzy cargo trim pieces from the interior of the car?

2. Any special tools required?

3. Does the retrofit kit from outmotoring come with instructions?

4. For someone like me who has never worked on his car that deeply (i.e. never removed an interior trim piece) is this job intimidating?
I'm also very interested in this, but have the same questions as above - scared of messing up the trim!

The original poster has posted excellent photos - I wonder could he please give us some tips on removing the trim?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 AM
PleaseCallMeGarry
Neutral
Do any of you know where the door itself might be sold? I am far too intimidated to install the full kit myself, (I have a legacy trail of botched projects behind me, I'm not about to add my car to list) but that hole in the boot is making me bonkers. I am fine with the throwing the door on top can calling it a day route mentioned above, but I'm only seeing the whole retrofit kit for sale so far.

Has anyone had any luck with other alternatives? I tried to find a under the bed plastic storage box I could put in there but due to the shallowness of the well, it's pretty impossible to find something that can cover the length and the depth.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:27 AM
BarryR
Neutral
Do I need the adjustable latches?

First of all: really glad to find this forum with so much useful information.

The outmotoring site says :We have been made aware that in certain early build F56 models there were 2 types of latches that hold the rear seats upright. If your MINI does NOT have the type of brackets that allow the seat to be latched into place in 2 different angles you will need new left and right brackets (part numbers 52207317711 and 52207317712). "
That makes it sound like one would not need these adjustable brackets for a newer Mini.

My wife is the proud owner of a brand new 2019 2 door Cooper S (British Racing Green) MT that came without the SA 493 option. It does not have adjustable brackets.
She'd like me to do the whole retrofit thing.

I don't think we care if we can position the seat 2 ways but I don't want to have to rig up a different bracket.
Does anyone know if I need these adjustable brackets?

Also, does anyone make a folding mat that works with the seats folded up or down or are there only short mats for the little trunk section?

Last edited by BarryR; 09-14-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuke-em
You could also go the lazy route and just purchase the floor piece itself and throw it in the trunk as I did. I think it's about $50. Obviously the latch functionality isn't there but at least you get the floor.

Thanks for the write-up. Maybe I'll get around to doing it one day.

True! But then you wouldn’t have the adjustment to make it level with the seats when they are folded down.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:49 AM
LazyLancer
Neutral
Hello, MINI comrades.
Sorry to revive this REALLY old thread, but ... how do i remove those small plastic bits of trim on the second photo?
"This trim piece needs to be removed from the upper side panel if you are replacing the seat latch with the adjustable version" <-- these ones.

Do i just break them? They seem to be firmly attached if not riveted at all.