F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Are we hackable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:40 AM
ebMiniGuy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we hackable?

How concerned should we be ?

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
As I can hardly get my i-phone to talk to my mini when their both paired
I guess not at all

Old 07-23-2015, 10:15 AM
meental
1st Gear
this is only a problem with newer cars that are coming with cellular connections built into the vehicle, now if you happened to have your phone connected to your OBD2 port with a bluetooth or wifi connection, and someone hacked into your phone, and then sent CAN messages to your car, they might be able to do something, but thats pretty slim.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 AM
ebMiniGuy
Neutral
Originally Posted by blue al
As I can hardly get my i-phone to talk to my mini when their both paired
I guess not at all
Laughing out loud. It is glitchy, I agree.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ebMiniGuy
How concerned should we be ?
Hey, if you're short of things to get worried about, this one will fit the gap nicely.

Also always check for attack by tigers when exiting your vehicle - they wait behind other parked vehicles to increase their chance of getting you.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:07 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
BMW has been shown to be vulnerable before:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28784...rive-hack.html

Old 07-23-2015, 04:29 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Angib
Also always check for attack by tigers when exiting your vehicle
I believe in evolution strongly enough that I feel a bit of panic everytime I open the garage door at night. Bears. They will start with gunless suburbanite shift-workers, alone and defenseless.

I should never have watched The Ghost and the Darkness.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Very unlikely.

This could become a potential problem for cars that are their own hotspots or are designed to receive software updates on the fly. Even then, (if not now), they will include a firewall between what can be updated vs. a car's operational computer (with a backup of prior OS as the new is installed should the new one be hacked or flawed in some way).

Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
Bears. They will start with gunless suburbanite shift-workers, alone and defenseless.
As I live in a country where there is not a single non-human animal (except maybe some dogs) that has any desire or ability to kill you, bears are scary. I was made to walk through the "don't mess with bears" trailer at the entrance to Banff National Park which did a good job of changing me from 'wary' to '****-scared'.

Years later ski-ing in forests in Nova Scotia I found that even repeating to myself "the nearest bear is 1,000 miles west of here" didn't stop every bit of snow dropping from a tree branch sounding like an advancing bear thinkiing to itself "mmmm, skier, tasty......".

Old 07-24-2015, 06:53 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
BMW has been shown to be vulnerable before:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28784...rive-hack.html
Using encrypted communication and digital certs for identity is "web development 101" stuff.

This vulnerability is the classic example of a group of engineers not knowing their own limitations. Our put another way they knew just enough to be dangerous.

However as other posts indicated the attack vector was across the public Internet.

If you don't want your car to be hackable then don't buy one that is connected to a cellular network.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dongood
...If you don't want your car to be hackable then don't buy one that is connected to a cellular network.
Wise words. It can't be hacked if it's not online.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Wise words. It can't be hacked if it's not online.
Exactly!!! And don't let strange people hook into your ports.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:50 AM
Angib
4th Gear
So Jeep Chrysler recalls 1.4 million cars for software updates, but does absolutely nothing about tiger attacks. Shame on them......

Old 07-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Angib
So Jeep Chrysler recalls 1.4 million cars for software updates, but does absolutely nothing about tiger attacks. Shame on them......
I do find it totally amusing how the US senators are losing their mind over Chrysler, despite them already working on a fix, but completely ignore the other manufacturers that are just as easy or almost as easy to "hack". Nothing like a good old double standard.

Of course, you guys have to keep in mind that the guys that did this were given the BCM and ECU firmware by the OEM's under the premise of being independent mechanics and then it took them a year to write their code to actually do something about the vulnerability. It's hardly shadetree tomfoolery.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:37 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I do find it totally amusing how the US senators are losing their mind over Chrysler, despite them already working on a fix, but completely ignore the other manufacturers that are just as easy or almost as easy to "hack". Nothing like a good old double standard.

Of course, you guys have to keep in mind that the guys that did this were given the BCM and ECU firmware by the OEM's under the premise of being independent mechanics and then it took them a year to write their code to actually do something about the vulnerability. It's hardly shadetree tomfoolery.
This, and they had 30-45 minutes in contact with a vehicle to update the firmware.. and the key to the vehicle...

If you let strangers use your car for 30-45 minutes at a time... hacking is the least of your worries.

The way the clickbait articles are written its as if Grandma dialed up AOL and killed people on the way to the mall.

The article was written to scare stupid people into thinking the robots are going to kill them.

https://screen.yahoo.com/old-glory-i...000000469.html