Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Any Interest in a ready to hack I-Bus/Arduino interface?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM
DaveC
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Interest in a ready to hack I-Bus/Arduino interface?

Hi folks,

For those of you who are interested in interfacing with your MINI's I-Bus (internal control bus that carries signals for the steering wheel buttons and other switches, and other status messages for the car like door lock, lights on/off, etc events and through which you can send signals to display messages on your head unit or NAV display amongst other things). I have hacked a micro controller called the Arduino to allow me to control an iPod, my Valentine One Radar Detector and a garage door opener from my Multifunction Steering Wheel buttons w/o cutting into any factory wiring. My solution up to this time has been a bit of an ugly hardware hack (see this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-r53-mfsw.html) requiring lots of trial and error on my part.

I've been in touch with the guys at eedesignkits.com about some I-Bus products that they've been developing and testing.

They will be coming out with a very nice USB I-Bus interface that will be easily hackable (easy to solder pin outs for interfacing to a serial device like the Arduino or other microprocessor/PIC/Basic Stamp device) and easier to get/modify than the Reslers interface. They are also making a Bluetooth I-Bus interface, both of which would be really cool for logging I-Bus codes from a laptop or interfacing with a car PC or laptop. Both interfaces are I-Bus powered/Car 12V powered so no external power is needed.

They are also considering making a all in one I-Bus (Melixis surface mount chip interface circuit) to Arduino interface for those of you who want to minimize your hassle/trial-and-error in getting into accessing the I-Bus in your MINI or BMW (pre 2006 MINI and earlier BMW's that have an I-Bus instead of the newer CAN bus, pre 2004?).

If you are interested, post here and maybe indicate what you'd like on the board (bare development/prototyping space, relays, lights, LCD screen/LCD interface, lights, buzzers, switches, etc?) and maybe what would be a good price point for you (be realistic though : )

Dave

Last edited by DaveC; 03-20-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 PM
DaveC
2nd Gear
A good question would be what sort of configuration would be most useful to folks.

Option 1:
Put the Melixis stuff on a custom Arduino shield that piggybacks with one of the Arduinos
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDuemilanove
Shields are also apparently compatible with the much more capable Arduino Mega if you want more serial ports and IO ports:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega
Good flexibility, but you have to supply their own Arduino (which may be a barrier to entry for some, but then again it’s a pretty hard core hacking project so folks who would take this on probably wouldn’t be bothered by this). Bulkier end result than the other 2 options below, which would be self contained on one board (not stacked boards).

Or make a stand alone board that would have space/socket for one of these:
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=9218

Option 2:
Which could either include a pre-installed Arduino as a Turnkey solution, Slightly less flexibility (ie. can’t stack shields to get additional capabilities, but realistically, most folks won’t be doing this) and would likely cost more.

Option 3:
Or a bare board for folks to install their own Arduino Pro Mini's onto.
Slightly worse to Option 1 in terms of barriers to entry (users have to buy a Pro Mini AND solder on their own pin headers). Same issue with not able to stack on/expand with existing Arduino shields.

Option ? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by DaveC; 03-21-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:58 PM
boyerizm
Neutral
Dave,

Not sure if you're still monitoring this year old post, but if so hit me up. I've been hunting for exactly this for an E46 M3. I'm thinking its not too much of stretch to cross platforms. Also, very interested in expanding out to the ECU though the CAN interface for logging data. For what it's worth I'm an engineer and can help you out but def an Arduino noob. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=356351

Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would love to use the R/T button to trigger my unused head light washer pump hooked up to intercooler sprayers!

Any progress with this project?