F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Here are the changes for 2016:

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:09 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Here are the changes for 2016:

From the MF: http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/05/...jor-surprises/

No Sport Suspension option is the most surprising, especially for a car with this reputation. Shows me that Mini is indeed drifting more toward BMWs version of a more comfortable premium subcompact car. Probably just following their buyers, who don't buy the SS option much. I've always said you can get a $300 19mm rear swaybar and that's pretty much the sport suspension right there. Maybe you can install it with the variable dampers and have the best of both worlds?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Here it is

Originally Posted by MotoringFile
F56/F55 Changes

Sport suspension option discontinued
No visual boost, now only Media & Wired Packages.
No more Loaded Package only “Fully Loaded”.
Sport Package now includes Dynamic Dampers making it more of a legitimate sport option.
Auto-dimming exterior mirrors are now packaged with auto-dimming interior mirrors (separate power folding mirrors option has been eliminated)
Cold weather package goes back to $750 but now has the power-fold & auto-dimming stuff with it.
Cruise control buttons are being remapped
Changes to window switches (from chrome to piano black
Cooper will now be SULEV with the B36 engine
No MINI wings tags on seats
Originally Posted by MotoringFile
F56/F55 Discontinued

In the discontinued options category we have a mix of expected and very surprising. The biggest perhaps is the discontinuation of an option that frankly should be a standard safety feature as it is in the rest of the world: the rear foglight. Yup after an online petition in 2003 brought them to US MINI, 13 years later they’re gone. Here’s what else is out:

Satellite gray/truffle cloth/leather seats,
Interior surface dark silver & firework, color line shadow gray,
6 disc changer (yes it’s now impossible to play a CD in the F56/F55 MINI
Chrome mirror caps (they’re still available as accessories)
Smokers pack
Rear fog lamp
Halogen fogs on Cooper
Universal garage door opener w/compass
Secret storage compartment (gone due to production complexities of having it available in some parts of the world and not in others)

Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Ok, reading over this, I can't say I'm shocked or surprised at any of the changes. The Sport Suspension is already developed and their thought might be "make the JCW more exclusive with this option that not many are ordering, even though there's nothing wrong with it".

I understand wanting to group options, it vastly simplifies the production line logistics. Almost every manufacturer has already done this. Most Japanese brands only offer bulk packages, take it or leave it. MINI really was the last bespoke mass-production car, and it's not like it's all over, they're just shaving off some low-hanging fat.

I'm definitely not surprised the truffle seats are gone, nor the DVD changer, or the rear fogs for the US market.

I am disappointed the secret compartment is going away, and the garage door opener appears to be going away

There's one little tidbit that makes me really glad my car is a 2015 build though, and that's the fact that I'm getting Visual Boost without an armrest. I very much dislike armrests in the MINI, as it's in the way of my elbow when flipped down, and always taking up the space of the amazing center cupholder. Not a fan, and this change means I'd either have to use a sawzall on the armrest or go base-infotainment for 2016, and that makes me uneasy.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:33 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
- Sport suspension option discontinued
Not surprising - many people seem to lament it no longer being offered, but a very small amount of people actually ordered their car with this. Since DDC will now be part of the Sport Package (good idea), I don't think it's that big of a deal. Seems the people that would opt for it, would either go for the JCW suspension (which will now be available as a port installed accessory) or go for a 3rd party option.

- No visual boost, now only Media & Wired Packages.
This is actually a good thing. Too many customers (and dealers) were ordering the visual boost by itself to save money than realizing this means no bluetooth audio. Now, anyone that gets Visual Boost is getting BT Audio. Simplification.

- No more Loaded Package only “Fully Loaded”.
Same as above - simplification

- Sport Package now includes Dynamic Dampers making it more of a legitimate sport option.
I think this is a great move, bringing more value to the sport package (especially since stripes are no longer part of the Sport Pack). Sporty when you want it, comfy when you don't.

- Auto-dimming exterior mirrors are now packaged with auto-dimming interior mirrors (separate power folding mirrors option has been eliminated)
Simplification again, I guess, though I wish they kept them as separate options.

- Cold weather package goes back to $750 but now has the power-fold & auto-dimming stuff with it.

- Cruise control buttons are being remapped
Unnecessary IMO, but what can you do. Old mapping (9 o'clock/center/3 o'clock): Cruise Control ON/OFF // SET // RES. New mapping: RES // ON/OFF // SET.

- Changes to window switches (from chrome to piano black)
Not sure how I feel about this...we'll see...

- Cooper will now be SULEV with the B36 engine
Performance should be the same, though if it's like the move from B48 to B46, there may be a slight difference in MPG. I don't think figures have come out yet though.

- No MINI wings tags on seats
*sadface*

- Satellite gray/truffle cloth/leather seats
Not a popular option - I can see why they killed it

- Interior surface dark silver & firework, color line shadow gray
Pity they killed firework after one year, but I don't think I've EVER seen in on a MINI... The others seem arbitrary

- 6 disc changer (yes it’s now impossible to play a CD in the F56/F55 MINI
This was apparently done because of a really low take rate. I say good! Can't keep old technologies around forever! The future is digital people! Get with the times!

- Chrome mirror caps (they’re still available as accessories)
Indifferent, but they will still be offered as port-installed accessories for anyone that still wants them

- Smokers pack
Unnecessary feature to offer

- Rear fog lamp
I know this one is controversial, but the fact of the matter is, there is a less than 3% take rate on this. US customers just don't understand why they would need/want it. Hardly any US cars have these. I'm sure it will still be offered in other countries though.

- Halogen fogs on Cooper
I'm sure this is polarizing for some people... I think the majority of customers though would prefer LEDs though.

- Universal garage door opener w/compass
WHYYYY? This was another option that not many people opted for, but why?? The compass I could care less about, but I really like not having to carry a opener in my car

- Secret storage compartment (gone due to production complexities of having it available in some parts of the world and not in others)
*SUPERSADFACE* I get the reasoning, but it's one of those cool MINI touches that make their cars so special. It still blows people's minds when I show them. At the very least I get a "that's cool" and a smile.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
The secret compartment is gone? Now you're playing with fire BMW. At one time that's where the iPod hookup was in 2007 when it was new (where you could see the songs on the center screen). Next they'll add 4 inches of front bumper overhang. No wait, they alread did that lol. And to me eliminating the CD slot has to be some kind of ploy to get people to buy digital music storage devices. It can't cost $10 to include one and some people use theirs (not me, and I have one). What's next, an electric bench seat with a fold down armrest? Vinyl roof? How about mounting the spare on the hatchback with a Nebraska Cornhusker cover on it?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by siriuszero
- No visual boost, now only Media & Wired Packages.
This is actually a good thing. Too many customers (and dealers) were ordering the visual boost by itself to save money than realizing this means no bluetooth audio. Now, anyone that gets Visual Boost is getting BT Audio. Simplification.
Not correct. The "enhanced bluetooth" is a misnomer and means no armrest phone dock. A2DP and AVRCP is still there.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Not correct. The "enhanced bluetooth" is a misnomer and means no armrest phone dock. A2DP and AVRCP is still there.
Interesting... I've seen a couple F56s with no enhanced bt and just the visual boost by itself and they did not have BT audio. Voice commands were also missing.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:02 PM
KazO
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half of the options on my F55 are going away, meaning I essentially will have a 8mo (11/14-06/15) production model.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 PM
clintmeister
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad I just bought my MCS. What the hell is the visual boost? LOL

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by clintmeister
Glad I just bought my MCS. What the hell is the visual boost? LOL
It's the 6.5" color display.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:14 PM
clintmeister
3rd Gear
Ah that's why I didn't know what it was! I got the XL Navi baby!

Old 05-22-2015, 02:45 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I understand wanting to group options, it vastly simplifies the production line logistics. Almost every manufacturer has already done this. Most Japanese brands only offer bulk packages, take it or leave it. MINI really was the last bespoke mass-production car, and it's not like it's all over, they're just shaving off some low-hanging fat.
The grouping of options is unique to the (North) American market and doesn't exist in the same way in Yurp - here there are still option packs (Pepper, Chili, Media) but those are really model variants which offer the advantage of a higher resale value.

A few options are purely (North) American - for example, the garage door opener has never been available elsewhere.

So I think the option groups probably have more to do with standardising the (North) American stock, making it more likely a custom order can be supplied from existing production or what's already on a ship.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:20 AM
dirtyscarab
2nd Gear
Hmm. Some clearly sensible decisions there and also a few baffling ones.
Glad I bought my 15' F55 now rather than waiting a year though!

So no plans to redesign the body/chassis on the '16? When does that normally happen? Every 3 years?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:09 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Well, I'm happy to hear that there were no earth shaking changes for 2016 (having ordered (and not yet received a 2015).

Imagine if the Cooper S came with a 215 HP motor standard, or the JCW HP was bumped to 250HP? I'd (as well as 99 64/100% of the rest of us) be pretty upset.

As is, pretty innocuous changes for 2016 to my eyes. The SS is probably the only thing that may upset the largest number of buyers but the DDC does mitigate that to some degree.

The fact that there is no price increase is really the most surprising to me.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Sport Suspension is great if you live somewhere in the U.S. with roads that aren't similar to a third-world country. That said, I didn't buy it.

I'm somewhat surprised by the satellite gray. They're really sharp albeit expensive and difficult to keep clean.

What is the secret storage compartment they're talking about? Is it the one above the glove box?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really don't understand how they can get rid of the garage door opener in the mirror.

And taking out the secret compartment?? All the closet smokers out there will need a new hiding spot for their Marlboros ;-D

Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dirtyscarab
So no plans to redesign the body/chassis on the '16? When does that normally happen? Every 3 years?
The F56 was the first body/engine redesign since the R56 came out in 2007, so that model ran for 7 years. The previous R53 model ran for 4 years. They first introduce the hatchback (and 5 door) and add redesigned Cabrio and Coutryman (which will be called the Clubman I think) later.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuke-em
Sport Suspension is great if you live somewhere in the U.S. with roads that aren't similar to a third-world country. That said, I didn't buy it.
I wouldn't drive the car without the sport suspension. There are aftermaket solutions, but what a pain and expense.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
...So no plans to redesign the body/chassis on the '16? When does that normally happen? Every 3 years?
R50 launched in 2001 [2002 in USA]
refresh was in 2005
R56 launched in 2007
R56 LCI in 2011
F56 in 2014
refresh in ???? [usually slightly more than halfway through the platform cycle]

Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I think you're referring to the LCI (life cycle impulse) refresh that typically happens about 4 years into the life cycle. They typically make a few tweaks to the styling of the car, a change in options or technologies, but the underlying chassis is the same.

The F56 LCI will probably be at the earliest in the 2017MY, possibly to coincide with the F60 Countryman launch

Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
The secret compartment gone? Due to production complexities?

Make it available everywhere, problem solved. I find the mini lacking in useful storage space as is...

Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Slilock
1st Gear
Glad I got my '14 MCS!

Old 05-25-2015, 04:49 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of the changes are very minor. The sport suspension was done for two reasons. One to make the JCW more unique and the other is the adaptable suspension is now part of the sport package which is a better choice for the average buyer.They almost always change colors every few years and add/remove trim color choices...my guess is the cloth/leather is a poor selling option, definitely is st my store.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:53 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crimguy
I really don't understand how they can get rid of the garage door opener in the mirror.

And taking out the secret compartment?? All the closet smokers out there will need a new hiding spot for their Marlboros ;-D
Weeding at poor selling options and the cubby I n the f56 I s pretty useless, main reason for that is certain markets don't get the cubby so its more efficient to remove it.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
I wish they would just bring back the parcel shelf. That was one of my favorite things I added to my R53. I kept everything up under there. Out of sight and not rattling around.
Just checked my order on the owner's lounge and glad to see my Firework dash, garage door opener, rear fog light and shadow grey color line on the list.
I'm sure they will add new options to the choices but I'm happy with what I picked.

Annette

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Here are the changes for 2016: