F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Here are the changes for 2016:

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:54 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wonder what they will do with the extra space from the secret storage compartment. What do you guys put it there anyway? I find it too small to put anything really useful. I only have a Kind Bar, two Chevron gas giftcards in there.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the secret compartment in the F56 smaller than the one in the R56? I don't have my F56 yet so can't compare. But currently I keep chapstick, mascara and business cards in there.

Annette

Old 05-27-2015, 04:12 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
Is the secret compartment in the F56 smaller than the one in the R56? I don't have my F56 yet so can't compare. But currently I keep chapstick, mascara and business cards in there.

Annette
Yeah its alot smaller.. I could keep 6 packs of smokes in my r57..2 in my F56

Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I like my R56 with factory sport suspension more and more every day.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:13 AM
dirtyscarab
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
I wonder what they will do with the extra space from the secret storage compartment. What do you guys put it there anyway? I find it too small to put anything really useful. I only have a Kind Bar, two Chevron gas giftcards in there.
I heard that it's a good place to put your EZ Pass so you don't have to clutter up your windscreen. Anyone tried this? Does it still work inside there? If so, that's where mine's going to live.

I'll also probably keep my registration and insurance card in there as well, plus a few emergency items (band aids, lighter, pocket knife etc).

Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtyscarab
I heard that it's a good place to put your EZ Pass so you don't have to clutter up your windscreen. Anyone tried this? Does it still work inside there? If so, that's where mine's going to live.

I'll also probably keep my registration and insurance card in there as well, plus a few emergency items (band aids, lighter, pocket knife etc).
I've had good success with putting the EZ Pass on the back portion of the sunroof. It's out of the way, and worked well on both of my Clubmans there. But since the Capitol Beltway HOT Lanes came into being, I don't know if those readers would pick up the EZ Pass from that location.

As far as the secret compartment goes, I typically keep a pill bottle full of quarters (for parking meters or a self-serve car wash), 'tag cards' for my local MINI club, a lens cloth for my glasses, and the wheel lock.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Coopjones
1st Gear
EXTREMELY Upset about Rear Fogs and Secret Compartment.....extremely!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:01 PM
tripleTurbo
2nd Gear
Glad I got my sport suspension in my Justa. Not sure I could live with a normally sprung mini.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 AM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Interesting... I've seen a couple F56s with no enhanced bt and just the visual boost by itself and they did not have BT audio. Voice commands were also missing.

This is correct. Visual Boost is just the 6.5 inch screen. You had to order Enhanced BT in order to get the armrest, phone dock and voice commands/Audio streaming. This was causing an issue with builds as people could have Visual Boost and Nav, but no voice commands and BT audio and they were getting upset (and rightfully so) because their Motoring Advisor was not savvy enough to realize that adding the Media pkg included those items at no extra cost. However, if your goal was to be without the armrest, then you had to live without the other features as well.

Now, that problem is eliminated.

Regarding the Rear Fog: This is a bummer as I have always appreciated this feature in the past. This is my first MINI without the rear fog so I am not screaming over it, but the reality is that they are not mandated by the US like they are in European countries. These are required by law there so they will remain. In the US, people do not know how/when to use them properly, and in some (most) states you can be cited for using them improperly. In reality, unless you live in Seattle/Portland/San Francisco or somewhere it snows/poor visibility a lot, they are pointless. If you are using them during the day, in bright sun or just at night as extra lighting you SHOULD be cited.

Last edited by MINIwuff; 05-29-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:33 AM
hp79
4th Gear
I wish I had added the rear fog light.
I would use it during the day time to blast it on the *******s following me too close.
It would also be useful when the sun is right in front of you, and the rear cars can't see you that well because the sun is too strong.

I know rear fog light can be activated after buying a switch and through coding, but that switch cost too much so I'm not doing it.