F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2015 F56S Pepper White Radness

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 F56S Pepper White Radness

So, as some of you know, I'm a one-car family and a MINI one. We started with the first gen R53 S, which I still think of fondly today. We upped to the R55 Clubman S after struggling getting a baby seat in and out of the first MINI. We upped to an R60 Countryman S when my two kids discovered the freedom and self-confidence of opening their own doors (a loaner for a week's road trip to LA) and now, we're back to a 3-door hardtop F56 S. We figured we might have a narrow window to stay compact in a small ride again, before forking into a two-car family, the other likely being larger, to haul the accessories, sports gear, etc of growing children. But right now, ages 3.5 and 5.5, it seemed like a good time: they can climb in back and buckle themselves in, and we aren't carrying a lot of gear. Plus, we did miss the small MINI feeling, even if we can never go back to that first go kart...

I ordered this one, like the last one, from MINI of Marin. I love this dealership. It's Penske owned, and they go the extra mile. Always a loaner, often a MINI. Great service staff, very helpful and enthusiasts themselves. No hassle sales staff, cappuccino machine, brand new facilities, and large lot selection for eyeballing. I had been anxiously awaiting their grand opening when they first built the dealership on the property that previously held a Penske Honda shop, so since the Countryman sale was effortless and I support my local shop, I went with them for this one too. They gave me a hell of a repeat customer deal, so much so that they pretty much lost money on the whole thing. I ended up trading the Countryman, rather than accepting a great private sale offer that was higher, just to have the convenience of driving it until delivery day.

This being the fourth go-round, I tracked the car throughout the manufacturing and shipping process, with much less anxiety than the earlier experiences. With kids and being up to my eyeballs in work and international travel, I just had less time to hand-wring about it. However, for the first time, this experience was actually MORE stressful as far as the data I DID have. Normally the anxiety comes during the freighter travel, as it's largely off GPS unless you pay for that access. Here, I was tracking like normal but the data was wayyy off. Car still in shipment three days after my boat left the destination port. In fact, the day my MA called and told me the car was at the dealership being unloaded, MINI USA still hadn't reported it to the VDC. Anyway, regardless, it came pretty quickly, especially given that I missed the first boat, being 'received and booked' then 'returned' meaning they ran out of time, room, or tide, and left the car behind... I was fortunate that another boat arrived a week later, not one I was tracking in the schedule, so unexpectedly positive news.

Anyway, went over on Monday, and picked the new ride up!

This was my first view of the car. It's actually my favorite angle. Some disparage the rear of the new 3rd gen MINI, but not me. I think it looks great.

The bonnet, larger than ever. As a 1st gen owner from back in the day, I'll always think the noses are too big. On the R53 it basically wrapped around the front wheel like a Dali clock. It made EVERY car I looked at thereafter seem long in the nose. The R56 seemed big when it came out. Certainly this is longer than that. But that's the reality of the new common platform underpinnings BMW developed. And in my mind, given everything else about the car, a fine compromise.

On the way home, randomly, coincidentally, a Pepper White/White R53 played tag with me for several miles. This looked to be almost exactly my original spec. I had later put the aero kit on it, changed the wheels, vinyl wrapped the rear tails, etc so it ended much differently than it started (and still looks great, having seen it in SF since) but it was a fitting thing, seeing this guy driving with me on the way back.

The next morning (today) I was faced with the usual OVER THE LINE DONNY parking job by the contractor in my office building, but for the first time in a few MINI generations, I was still able to park without dangerously close maneuvers. Awesome!

So how do the kids like the new ride? A ton.

The details:

2015 F56 S
Pepper White/ White with 17" black cosmo spoke wheels
Interior: carbon black, black leather
Rear Spoiler
Bike Prep*
Roof Rails **
Center armrest
Park Distance Control

Packages:
Fully Loaded (Navigation, Enhanced bluetooth)
Premium Package (Comfort access keyless entry, Panoramic sunroof, rear storage package, Harmon-Kardon stereo )
Sport Package (LED fogs, LED headlights, white turn signals)
Wired Package (Rear View Camera, HUD)

The real standouts, aside from all the standard features of the new BMW-build-up F series, are the HUD option, rear camera, and general fit and finish. That HUD in particular. I thought it was just an amusement, but I really, REALLY appreciate it. I have it displaying speed, phone or music selection data, and nav info, depending.

The car feels strong and tight and this new engine is a big step forward in my mind. The whole thing feels good and nimble, and that's coming from having no complaints about the R series builds of my Clubman and Countryman before it, other than them each carrying more weight on the same engine. Stock it feels like it has less body roll than either previous car. There's no point in comparing it to the R53, because that was my gold standard reference. But I'm thrilled with the car.

*Rear bike prep shows a photo of a hitch on the MINI Configurator, so my dealer and I both thought they had started optioning factory-installed receiver hitches. As it turns out, I subsequently learned it's just sockets in the rear bumper under caps, for use with a MINI-branded bike rack (which doesn't appear to be on the market for the F series) so I checked with Coopercrap.com and they are finally at work designing an external wishbone hitch similar to the one on my Countryman. I only need the rear rack mounting point for hauling a long cargo bike in rare circumstances, so this isn't a rush item. I do the lion's share of bike transport with roof racks.

**The rails are the same as on the Countryman. It's a good system, giving the roof rack something to clamp to without having to grab the underside of the doorwells. Makes it easy to install the rack, with bike trays, box, whatever. All of which I have ready to go.

Next up, initial mods:

- H&R Lowering springs, ready for install.
- NM Rear sway bar
- Pulsar rear brake light modulator
- Stubby antenna
- Rails and trays

Stoked!

Old 03-17-2015, 10:34 PM
photoboi
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats !

Old 03-18-2015, 05:30 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Very Cool, Congrats!! Dad tested kids approve

Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats! The kids look happy. Tell the truth, did you honor the matching-gifts program for them and buy them tons of candy? No kid is that happy unless there's candy.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:34 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Very sweet ride, thirdrail! Pepper White Club!

I'm headed to the dealer today to pick up mine.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice car, I've heard nothing but good things about the HUD (well almost all good). You're a true Mini fan if it's your only car with 2 kids. People spent a total of about 3 hours in the back seat of my 2007 MCS. I don't need no steenking back seat!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:36 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Thanks yall
Well, our MINIs grew directly as a result of those kids and the transportation and access needs... but we hit that sweet spot where we thought we could pull off going back to basics and making them climb back there.

Day 3 and I have to say I love this ride. I think my initial impressions are far more enthusiastic than they were on the Clubman and Countryman. Granted I was pushing through some confirmation bias at the time. Being a first gen guy, I was hung up on the 'larger, uglier, less go-karty' R56 and family, so in direct comparison to my R53 the R55 felt sluggish and divorced from the road, even while it ALSO felt amazing after briefly being in a Honda Element for a year... so it was relative scale, right? Then the Countryman, I had the bias against the big crossover, until the 4-door convenience and more storage space made it a winner for that period. Granted, if the F55 had been available I would have gone for that over the Countryman, since I always wanted, in concept, to keep the footprint small.

But the electronics, the motor, the responsiveness really impress me on the F56, at least mine. The HUD is awesome, thought I'd like to be able to get more active data on that thing. I've never been a fan of in-dash nav, and inherited it through one of the packages, so I have little opinion of it other than I didn't find it particularly intuitive when I was sitting in traffic today... the 'traffic' data was impenetrable. But the thing drives so nicely. As long as I don't look at the bonnet (made worse because my dealer drilled the bumper), I'm pretty much 100% sold on the exterior and interior design. I was not a fan of losing the central speedo and the circular design language on the interior before, but I do think it works. I don't have the negative association with iDrive the way my BMW friends do, seems fine to me, though I haven't explored the touch function.

But let me tell you, today in this bad traffic jam (it was about an hour of virtual standstill) I experienced the UPSIDE to the controversial auto stop/start when driving a manual. I never had an issue with dropping into neutral and disengaging the clutch, but the fact that it shuts down in that scenario now seemed oddly comforting in traffic, like I wasn't just simply sitting there burning petrol and breathing it. Dunno, seemed like a GOOD thing on a manual, at least, as we already DO have to engage the car when stopped. As an automatic, maybe I'd like it less.

One more note: the Siri integration into the MFSW is a long-awaited and happy addition. I made good use of it. And the XL display's split screen is AWESOME.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah I'll bet the F56 is a treat compared to the Countryman. I've got a JCW Coupe, and drove a Countryman for part of a day as a loaner and Newt Was Not Impressed. It had plenty of power (not JCW power mind you) but it was way up in the air with some body roll. We also have a Honda Element so it wasn't like that car, but quite different than my R56 and WAY different than the Coupe. You gotta really need 4 seats to get that model. Glad you're liking the new ride. My friend bought one and I love the seats and the interior.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Yep. Not to disparage the Element tho. I would have kept it if we could have rationalized having two cars. I loved it for hauling bikes. My record was 9 bikes (2 on the roof, 4 on a rear rack, and 3 inside, upright)

Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 AM
indierocke
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome photos thirdrail and I bet your kiddos are gonna love it. I took two of my little cousins for a ride the other day in mine (both girls, one 6 year old and one 10 year old) and they loved it. The 6 year old had a ball cause she likes all of the little center ring event lighting effects. I used an empty church parking lot to turn around in and because the turning radius is so small it gives it that quick whip around feel even at really low speed so she was like do it again do it again!!! Needless to say we had to do a few turns and loops before we got back out on the road the pair of us both grinning ear to ear and her just laughing and having a big time

Old 03-19-2015, 11:38 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Our biggest adjustment will be slowing down for road hops. We got used to flying over hops like at a few small local waterway bridges, in the countryman. The kids throw their hands up like a roller coaster.

Now with the F56, let alone once it's lowered, we're taking hops, speed bumps, uneven roads, much more carefully.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear

Here's a look at what the HUD gets you. I love it. Phone, music, nav, trunk open, etc plus speed.

Successful activation of the text reading feature in the Office screen...

Bike rack is on, more pics to follow...

I've really grown used to the bonnet, and that general 1/4 view that in some colors, some photos, some angles, just seems so ginormous. In the wild, you just don't care.

My wife said to me, the other night, sitting in the car going over features and then just talking (kids asleep upstairs): "When was the last time we just sat in the car and talked like this?"
I said "our first MINI..."

Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Great post. lol at that last bit...

Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear

Last edited by siriuszero; 03-23-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: wrong thread...sowwy
Old 03-27-2015, 02:10 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
2015 F56S Pepper White Radness-image-3134303699.jpg

Daughter's first ride to kindergarten. Note the team support vehicle to the right.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
2015 F56S Pepper White Radness-image-2566622748.jpg

This is with the rack installed. Note in this first round I reversed the trays to avoid hitting the spoiler if the boot gate is up. Next time I'll try shifting them forward.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:00 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I almost forgot... I've had two people PM me about the interior lighting... here's a decent pic, complete with diamondplate rubber mats...

Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Congrats , those matts look very nice, i like the pattern. On certain colors selected for the ambient light the interior can be very bright.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-23-2015, 10:33 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear

So, about 1400 miles in. The new suspension work has made a ton of difference. Tight in the corners, very little body roll. Reminds me of my old R53. Sure, I'm bouncing around the rough road and pothole minefields of the SF Bay Area, but its worth it. I can't wait to track it.

This was H&R sport springs and a NM Rear Sway.

Super tight!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 PM
chuck r
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab

So, about 1400 miles in. The new suspension work has made a ton of difference. Tight in the corners, very little body roll. Reminds me of my old R53. Sure, I'm bouncing around the rough road and pothole minefields of the SF Bay Area, but its worth it. I can't wait to track it.

This was H&R sport springs and a NM Rear Sway.

Super tight!
Your car sits perfectly and Pepper White has always been my favorite color. Dig it, have fun
chuck

Old 04-29-2015, 02:32 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Thanks Chuck! It's turning heads around here. Mostly because, unlike the previous gens, you dont' see any lowered F56s much in the SF area. And it's SO noticeably different. A little drop goes a long way.

For those that asked about the HUD (which I Looooove) I should have had nav running when I took this to show that interface, but here's the normal view.

To the right, you'll get music, phone, or nav info when accessing those functions. Also I've seen low fuel and one other... oh yes, youngling-left-door-ajar warning...

Old 04-30-2015, 04:45 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine started out exactly like yours
Name:  IMG_20141127_120737725_HDR.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  96.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20141127_120737725_HDR.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  96.9 KB
Name:  IMG_20150108_120934595.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  75.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20150107_082049170_HDR.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  62.0 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20141127_120737725_HDR.jpg (96.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-30-2015, 06:45 AM
FastMiniS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^ Wow, JamesDean, I love what you've done with your Mini. The red accents really make it POP. Nice job. Gorgeous MCS you have there.

And ThirdRailDesignLab, your PW MCS is really nice as well. I like the slightly lowered stance, too. I'd like to do the same but clearance on our streets can be an issue. Plus my driveway entry is raised. We'll see. Enjoy your Mini this summer. I surely will enjoy mine.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Looks nice and clean.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-30-2015, 01:01 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
I have a pretty steep driveway... I'll try to capture a pic, or better yet a gradient check later... I'm only getting on occasional scrape at the front. As far as the roads out here... I wouldn't want to go much lower than this. This was about 1.5" drop.

:::

I'm thinking about adding convex micromirrors in the corners of our side mirrors. Blind spots aren't fun in any vehicle, but zipping around in the traffic we have out here, I like to have a little extra help. This was just a test fit.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 2015 F56S Pepper White Radness