F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 What do you dislike about your F56?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by marshun
I wish the suspension settings were independent from the driving modes. Sometimes I would like to have the soft shock setting and not have to be in the awful Green Mode.

The throttle response is electric so you should be able to override the stock settings if you buy a cable and the program everyone uses. Your dealership should also be able to do it for you. Depending on how tech savoy they are.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by marshun
I wish the suspension settings were independent from the driving modes. Sometimes I would like to have the soft shock setting and not have to be in the awful Green Mode.
Assuming you have the dynamic dampers....Suspension settings in MID and GREEN are the same and you can actually have the soft setting in SPORT via the Driving Mode menu in Settings. There are only two settings: SPORT (only available in SPORT - 10% stiffer than stock) and normal (available in all three modes - 10% softer than stock)

Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
nicktsigos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dislike that my car with 1300 miles has been in the shop for 28 days......Dealership has been good to me and taken care of me with a loaner car I'm just stressed and venting because they have no idea where the transmission is and when it will be replaced. I was hoping that the JCW tuning kit would have been released and I could have it installed while its been sitting there. I hope you are all having fun with your cars.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 AM
Rajapruk
3rd Gear
No blinking lamps when locking the car. Maybe a setting?
Annoying boiing-sound when pulling the handbrake for fun in the snow.
Other than that, wonderful car!

Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If you leave the headlights on when you lock the car your DRL's will fire up for a short time (this is with LEDs, I don't know if it works for the halogens too).

My complaints are all silly, but it is what it is
1. I can't stand how cheap the gas gauge looks, especially compared to the rest of the instrument panel.
2. The headlight switch is a pain in the rear to reach.
3. The armrest interferes with the emergency brake and sits too high for my liking.
4. The interior is too quiet (Cooper), I'm used to shifting with audible cues and I can barely hear the engine at all.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nicktsigos
I dislike that my car with 1300 miles has been in the shop for 28 days......Dealership has been good to me and taken care of me with a loaner car I'm just stressed and venting because they have no idea where the transmission is and when it will be replaced. I was hoping that the JCW tuning kit would have been released and I could have it installed while its been sitting there. I hope you are all having fun with your cars.
I was not going to say any complaints but since you brought it up...

My major complaint is that I have had my car for almost a year F56 MCS and since October it has been in the shop 4 times, twice in the last month.

I feel your pain!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:51 AM
talasyn
2nd Gear
Love the car but...

1) The hatch slams shut
2) Would like to be able to change the default color of the XL display from amber to something else
3) The sports seating a little too aggressive (I can fix this by shrinking my butt)
4) Would like to see a turbo boost gauge
5) Electric seats would be nice

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 AM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
+1 on the electric seats!!! For a 35k subcompact 'premium' car, I would have expected them, but I still love all the other premium featured like the HUD and the amazing infotainment system.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:02 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by talasyn
Love the car but...

5) Electric seats would be nice
Originally Posted by MINIMAN1411
+1 on the electric seats!!! For a 35k subcompact 'premium' car, I would have expected them, but I still love all the other premium featured like the HUD and the amazing infotainment system.
I'd like electric seats, an ashtray, a Landau top, velour uphostery, and white gangster sidewalls, and a TV antenna in the back!

Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 AM
JohnRausch
1st Gear
2015 S

1. Auto Stop/Start is downright dangerous, causing stalls in some situations. ONLY reason for it is to boost fleet MPG. In her Justa, wife rolled back into GMC Valdez on hilly intersection and put hole in rear bumper. BMW paid the bill! Software recently changed to remember setting in key.
2. Sport seats are too narrow and too tall (much better head clearance in standard)
3. No dipstick
4. Headlight switch location
5. Instrument dimmer location
6. Glove box is too flat and items fall out. Items on door left and right block closing.
7. Cannot completely turn off center display
8. Tach and fuel gauges are "tachy".
9. Stereo volume/clarity (HK) is poor.

More, but most annoyances other than 1 & 2.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rajapruk
No blinking lamps when locking the car. Maybe a setting?
Annoying boiing-sound when pulling the handbrake for fun in the snow.
Other than that, wonderful car!
To turn blinking lights on:
Go to SETTINGS --> DOOR/LOCKS and there is an option to have the lights blink or not when lock/unlocking.

The following users liked this post:
KitGerhart (04-09-2022)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
rbe
1st Gear
Another +1 for the electric seats. What a pain to readjust everything every time we change drivers. At least make the driver's seat power memory. We knew going in we weren't able to get a P/M driver's seat . Love the car otherwise, but I don't think we'd do it again. A boost gauge would be nice, it is nice to know when you are getting into boost.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by D.D.
I put the EZ pass in the hidden compartment. It works right through it, and there is no need to take it out. It's the only thing the compartment is good for....Try it..It works!
Ohh! I was wondering if it would! Thanks for the tip!!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Selshan
2nd Gear
The only gripe I have is that I can't get the car to remember Sport mode every time I start it up. Having to push the ring over is mildly irritating.

I addressed my desire for a boost gauge with a spare android phone, the Torque app, a Bluetooth OBDII reader, and a dash mount. I keep the phone in the hidden compartment when I'm not driving.

Last edited by Selshan; 02-23-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Condition based services. I got pretty mad today when my dealer said i can't make an appointment for a 10k mile oil change unless the car tells me i need one. That is TOTAL BS!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Random. No - that is corporate!
They are not allowed to adjust the idle or play with the mixture that is all done on mass through software updates. Leads to the bigger question - "Who is in charge. Man or the machine?" This is why I unlock or jailbreak all my phones. I paid for them and my car as well and I should be able to change the oil or the air filter whenever I want!

Last edited by GregoryK; 05-03-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:38 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by randomquickness
Condition based services. I got pretty mad today when my dealer said i can't make an appointment for a 10k mile oil change unless the car tells me i need one. That is TOTAL BS!
Did they say they WOULD NOT change your oil for you before it said it was due or that it wouldn't be covered by the maintenance plan? Two different animals...

Old 02-23-2015, 06:09 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wouldn't be covered under the plan. With my wife's R56 they would let us do it at 10k intervals under the plan

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 PM
rbe
1st Gear
BMW maintenance covers a "low mileage" oil service every 12 months, and they don't reset the next service counter. You get the next regular service when the computer says it's due. I would think MINI would do the same.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:53 AM
R53
4th Gear
I hope individuals from the Mini hq see this thread to improve the lci version of the car.

Great input from everyone.

Some more things I picked up which I don't like :

- there's no welcome home lights like the R56 has
- for a car without a cd player focused on using the USB port, it's impossible to find the port at night as there's no light by that part of the console or any light shining in the direction.
- the glove box doesn't have a light - again the R56 has this.
- the boot shuts close aggressively and the closing mechanism acoustics is very cheap sounding, Toyota corolla like
- sometimes the car will till me ignition is still on stop start mode if I open the door other times it won't besides this if you close the door and lock the car the car shuts down automatically ??
- on the standard seats what is with the alternate patch of orange stitching??

Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 AM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
R53, where are you located, because on all American MINI's I believe all the glove boxes come standard with a light inside and my USB port area has a colour changing LED in the USB port area (I have the Lighting Package, which is standard spec in the U.S.) and also with the Orange stitching/patch on the standard (non-sport) seat, I believe you're talking about the Fireworks upholstery which isn't available in the U.S., instead we got a Leatherette/SensaTec (a.k.a Vinyl), but I'm not sure if that's available where you are.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 AM
dcummer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R53
I hope individuals from the Mini hq see this thread to improve the lci version of the car.

Great input from everyone.

Some more things I picked up which I don't like :

- there's no welcome home lights like the R56 has
- for a car without a cd player focused on using the USB port, it's impossible to find the port at night as there's no light by that part of the console or any light shining in the direction.
- the glove box doesn't have a light - again the R56 has this.
- the boot shuts close aggressively and the closing mechanism acoustics is very cheap sounding, Toyota corolla like
- sometimes the car will till me ignition is still on stop start mode if I open the door other times it won't besides this if you close the door and lock the car the car shuts down automatically ??
- on the standard seats what is with the alternate patch of orange stitching??
Do you have one of these, or is this just what you read?

On my new F55:

1. I'm new to MINI so I have no idea what you are referencing on an R56. My car lights its headlights and interior lights when I unlock it, which is all I want.

2. My car has a light directly over the usb and aux input.

3. My glove box has a light (though the "secret compartment" does not).

4. My hatch closes perfectly, it is damped by the same German made Stabilus struts that everyone uses. Perhaps your latch or stops are misadjusted? Easy DIY.

5. I don't understand this - needs more punctuation.

6. My standard seats do not have an alternate patch of orange stitching.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 AM
MINIMAN1411
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dcummer
5. I don't understand this - needs more punctuation.
I believe he is referring to the fact that when Auto Start/Stop is activated (as in engine off) and you open the drivers door, the ignition permanently turns off (e.g.Manual-depress clutch, Auto-let go of brake, engine won't start up again) and the OBC will tell you the 'Ignition is Switched On' with a little picture of the words 'Start/Stop' surrounded by a round-about style arrow to the left of the warning message; however, it won't always happen because the car doesn't always shut down every time you come to a complete stop, it's all condition based on temperature of the engine, air con settings, et cetera. I also agree with you on the hatch struts, his must be misaligned, mine sound very high-quality and don't slam shut.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 More Days - No Dislikes

Just about 2000 miles and I like everything about this car.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 PM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
To turn blinking lights on:
Go to SETTINGS --> DOOR/LOCKS and there is an option to have the lights blink or not when lock/unlocking.
This made my day yesterday. I kept locking and locking my car in happiness. I am sure the people at the grocery store thought I was crazy. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 What do you dislike about your F56?