North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014-428/)
-   -   F55/F56 What do you dislike about your F56? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/284051-what-do-you-dislike-about-your-f56.html)

R53 02-20-2015 02:06 PM

What do you dislike about your F56?

So I had my f56 for a few weeks now..
What do you hate about it?

For me it's the following :

- the keyless starting function but it doesn't come with keyless entry and locking. This means leaving the key someplace random in the car or having to keep it in your pocket and take it out every time. I would much prefer putting in a key than partial comfort access.

- no rear lights, no lights in the boot.

- standard stereo isn't that loud

- You have to use mini connected with a cable

- the awkward position of the fog lamp switch and headlights

- to change a song down is to go to the next song and up is to go the previous song.

- they completely rearranged configuration of the buttons on the steering wheel to the previous generations so it took time to get used to it.

- consumption isn't too great.

That's all I can think of for now. What's yours and do you agree with mine?

TheBigNewt 02-20-2015 02:31 PM

Is this Lord Kinboat with a different name lol? Hey at least you can keep your fob in the pocket and start the car without paying $250. I don't have comfort access on my car and it's the one thing I really miss from my R56 (bought this car off the lot).

hammerhands 02-20-2015 02:41 PM

I too would rather have a key. There is nothing good about the fob, the size of it, nothing.

The missing rear light has only caught me up once. I have a light in the boot with the storage package.

My seatbelt is twisted in the mechanism. I will have to see if the dealer can fix it the next time I see them. It's getting shut in the door frame and it jammed in the mechanism one day, which is why I needed that light.

The recirculate air only lasting for 15 seconds is brutal, I'm on that switch constantly. I need to figure out how to program it soon or I will die in a fiery crash.

russmini 02-20-2015 02:57 PM

Have had problem with the seatbelt getting twisted but gave managed to get it unstuck.
Headlight switch requires that you have to look for rather than intuitively feel for it.
Radio is not intuitive.
No damn oil dipstick!
No rear light for hatch.
Cosmoline leaks staining black trim. This has been a problem for several generations.

thirdraildesignlab 02-20-2015 03:11 PM

No. Oil. Dipstick?

thirdraildesignlab 02-20-2015 03:13 PM

I have one gripe, and mine is still crossing the Atlantic... I bought 'bike rack prep' because I, and my dealer, believed it was a hitch, because the MINI CONFIGURATOR shows a pic of a hitch. But the text for the option does in fact clarify that it isn't what is pictured, but is capped sockets in the bumper, a la the stock condition of my Countryman. I mean. Guh. So I guess I'm griping about my reading comprehension.

In the pros column, everything else.

MINIwuff 02-20-2015 03:25 PM

I have had mine for 7 weeks and just over 3000 miles.

I have been pleasantly impressed overall, having NEVER warmed up to the R5x version.

I have a cargo light, so that issue does not exist for me. And the auto headlamps eliminate searching for the headlamp switch. Comfort Access also means that the key never leaves my pocket, which is a shame since my dealer provided me a very cool red and gray checkered key cover.

I don't think that there is anything that I hate about the MINI, but I do have some peeves:

1) When you leave the vehicle (I love that the double-pull is gone) and close the door, comfort access will not lock the vehicle. It unlocks the other door first, then a second push locks the vehicle (this is not an issue if you have a passenger exit out the other door). There may be a work around, but I have yet to find it. None of the BMW models with comfort access work like this and it IS ANNOYING. I am trying to get into the habit of hitting the unlock button as I exit, but I should not have to do that.

2) The transmission (I have the Sport Auto) is a bit jumpy/harsh shift in Mid mode in lower gears, too sluggish in Green mode, and too sensitive to the throttle in Sport mode. I am still trying to find a happy medium, which may be Mid mode with the lever moved to the DS position. I drive a series of stop signs at the end of each block on my way home, and if you hit the throttle without coming to a complete dead stop (yes, I know you are supposed to), the transmission will jerk or almost slam into gear. It's not horrible, but it has made me consider going back to a manual the next time around.

3) I agree with the MINI Connected/cord issue. It should work via Bluetooth as well.

4) The tach is way too small and the gas gauge is way to "late '80's Chevy Cavalier" feeling to me.

5) The speed limit information should show up on the Nav screen!

And that may actually be it.

ballisticvoodoo 02-20-2015 04:11 PM

This thread is nothing but trolling. How about.... "what don't you like about your VW Golf?" Lame.

MINIMAN1411 02-20-2015 04:47 PM

Thanks ballisticvoodoo for your great input, but back on topic.

@MINIwuff, if you go to Settings--->Lock?(Not too sure) in your central display, you'll see a setting that says "doors lock while driving", uncheck that, and you'll never have to remember to unlock before you get out.

My biggest gripes are

-the window switches and unlock buttons!!!! I'm constantly changing from my R55 to my F56 and can never figure out where anything is in the car, the headlight switch though I do prefer on the F56, the ones that occupy the indicator stalk are reminiscent of lower quality cars
-the rev counter! It looks like a fungus is growing out of my speedometer, and same thing with fuel gauge, I've reverted to using the LED ring as a rev counter, at least that makes it more useful, although the Ambient Lighting for the LED ring is cool and even my friend wanting an F56!
-the fact that the knee bolster feel cheap compared to the BMW ones and don't retract all the way.
-the useless hidden compartment, seriously, why did they even put it their anymore? The only things I put in their are sign out passes so I can leave school early and pine tree air fresheners, and it's full! Pens don't even for anymore!
-the steering wheel controls are all placed wrong! I have the same issue as with my window switches/lock buttons, it's annoying to accidentally turn on cruise control when I thought I was changing the song and vice versa!
-I can't figure how to play a DVD or film in my car, even though others can, and the DVD changer occupies my WHOLE glove box, if I would have known that, I wouldn't have gotten it.
-finally, the volume knob has the power symbol on it and whenever you put the volume up with the knob the symbol is crooked!!!!MINI this isn't a Volkswagen! I've resorted to putting a small sticky note under it that tells people not to touch, I'm super OCD!

Not on my car, but I find the leatherette in the 3rd gens to get stickier in the FL heat than in the 2nd gens, I have cloth on both my MINI's so I could care less, I would just never suggest leatherette to anyone in FL.

Previous Gripes

There were also plenty of things that bothered me before, but now that I learned to use E-sys, they no longer do.
-the fact that my British car spoke American English, that was quickly fixed -High beams and Fog Lights not allowed to turn on together.
-closing the windows/sunroof with the key fob or comfort access buttons.
-seatbelt warning would go off with crap in the passenger seat, doesn't anymore
-my cars starts making a warning noise when I go in reverse accidentally, I shift hard and this shifter is MUCH smoother than the one in my Clubbie, I've already almost backed in to someone at a light.
-finally, mirrors closing with key fob or comfort access
I got the H/K sound system, Storage Pack and Comfort Access, so don't really find the radio to be low nor am I missing a light in the boot, though I changed the incandescent to an LED nor have an issue with keeping my keys in my pocket; however, for some odd reason today the bass totally disappeared on the H/K, drive it to the dealer to show my SA and when he got in, it was perfectly fine, I'll be watching out for that

russmini 02-20-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab (Post 4047517)
No. Oil. Dipstick?

Oil measured electronically. No dipstick.

MINIMAN1411 02-20-2015 05:01 PM

I actually find the E-Dipstickn more pleasant to "read" than the one in my R55, I sill can't ever really trust it! I always think I'm doing something wrong when I attempt to read it!

dpcompt 02-20-2015 06:58 PM

Minor dislike

The one thing I dislike is the new speedometer. I wish the tach was the main, large dial. Its minor and I would never go back to my '12 R56S.

RottVet 02-20-2015 07:40 PM

Grown up soft!

Ok, I will be a troll for a few minutes, took the bait

First, a few compliments- very smooth and very quiet vehicle. The '56 has grown up soft here in the USA. Kinda miss the raw edge/razor handling.

Gas gauge- looks like it was made by Mattel for some weird transformer thing.
Green mode- sux bad. Worthless. Pray tell me why a vehicle that is small(ie, named MINI, no less) needs it?
On-Off ring-around-the-Rosie engine shutdown is irritating to the max . Need a delete option for sure
No engine braking except in 1st and maybe on the 8th day of the week. Asinine!
That's it! Still like the car mostly, but sure not going to rid myself of my clubman and may add a coupe or roadster to keep the charm of the 2nd gen
Thanks for the rant!

dpcompt 02-20-2015 07:59 PM

engine braking

This is a subject that could create a lot of discussion. Diesels, unless they have Jacobs brakes, have no engine braking, and have proved successful in Lemans. I think cars might be more efficient without engine braking.

R53 02-20-2015 08:40 PM

My approach was too the point so maybe I came across as a troll, but I am not.

I am speaking as an F56 owner who has had all the generations, R53, R56, R55, R60.

The whole point of a new generation is that it should be better than the previous one in every way.

This thread it is merely to state personal peeves and not hate towards the brand itself.

Back to the thread. I agree the fuel gauge is comical and it doesn't fit in with the rest of the car.
I feel that whole tach could have been designed better.

thirdraildesignlab 02-20-2015 10:16 PM

Also, as in at least one case so far, another poster makes a mitigating suggestion. So, helpful too!

Electronic dipstick. That will take a bit of adjustment.

The toggle moves in still not used to. On the CM I keep opening the rear windows by accident. It's normal placement on any OTHER car. I just have too much muscle memory for the center console.

Change is good. Inevitable, regardless.

TheUPSman 02-20-2015 11:23 PM

Pretty much the same gripes as everyone else. A couple off the top of my head, my wife gets stuck with the seatbelt on the passenger side, as in the seatbelt locks on her. I'm not sure if her seat position or what but she lets my son sit in front and she rides in the back. Keyless entry not being standard, armrest is a little uncomfortable, still no Android love and it would be nice to have some sort of audible sound when locking and unlocking the car.

Kinetic89 02-21-2015 02:22 AM

The way any amount of water on the roof pours into the car if you have a window slightly open....never had this happen on any other car.

D.D. 02-21-2015 03:54 AM

Just to recount the many gripes I have are the same...

The awkward position of the fog lamp switch and headlights

They completely rearranged configuration of the buttons on the steering wheel to the previous generations so it took time to get used to it.

The keyless starting function but it doesn't come with keyless entry and locking. This means leaving the key someplace random in the car or having to keep it in your pocket and take it out every time. I would much prefer putting in a key than partial comfort access.

No rear lights, no lights in the boot.

Seatbelt is twisted in the mechanism-This has been a BIG problem...I spent the better part of 30 min. fixing this.. Also, does not retract back and gets stuck in the door.

Just really dislike the speedo, tach, and the "entertainment center". It looks like a fungus is growing out of my speedometer, and same thing with fuel gauge. Go back to the center dial speedo.

Radio is not intuitive---AT ALL. To change a song down is to go to the next song and up is to go the previous song.

No oil dipstick!

Car seems to take a long while to warm up for heat.

flyers47 02-21-2015 04:52 AM

Let me start by saying I am not complaining. This has easily been my favorite car. Its also my first mini so I don't seem to be suffering the updated syndrome some are.
The aforementioned fuel gague is awful.
The radio controls are kinda rough and no cd player was kinda shocking. (I bought it off the lot and wasn't paying attention, bought it and grabbed my cd case from the trade in and literally holding a CD in my hand looking for Some place to put it)

Oops

So my only other "gripe" is that there is no storage at all in the cabin.
I realize it's a mini, and like I said I'm not actually complaining, but where do you keep a notebook and pen, your change, the ezpass (because I'm not sticking it to the window) , sunglasses and regular glasses. Cause I'm blind...lol. The small compartments in the doors are such a hard plastic that if you put something loose in it it bangs around too much.
On the plus side, I keep less crap in the car because I have to.. So there's less crap!!
So far I'm 2 months and 600 miles in and I love it. I Get compliments everywhere, it's fun and quick, just a few small quirks.

D.D. 02-21-2015 05:07 AM

I put the EZ pass in the hidden compartment. It works right through it, and there is no need to take it out. It's the only thing the compartment is good for....Try it..It works! :)

Miniblue2 02-21-2015 06:01 AM

Don't Dislike

My fifth mini and the best yet.

marshun 02-21-2015 07:39 AM

I wish the suspension settings were independent from the driving modes. Sometimes I would like to have the soft shock setting and not have to be in the awful Green Mode.

russmini 02-21-2015 08:26 AM

In regard to the goofy gauges I've thought it would be so cool to go retro with old style British Smith gauges like these:
http://smithsgaugesusa.com

2014-JCW 02-22-2015 02:27 PM

What didn't I like about my F56 S model? Minor stuff that eventually pushed me to the edge. First and foremost it only looked like a Mini Cooper when I was looking at it from behind.
1 The hood, or the front of the car was too long.
2. Where the heck is the famous big center speedometer?
3. Anyone seen where Mini decided to hide the oil dipstick?

Well that was my top three.
The look of the F56 Cooper S inside and out pushed me over the edge so I traded it in. I couldn't get a New Gen 2 hardtop so I went ahead and convinced myself I needed a bigger Mini that looked like a Mini in and out and still performed like one should. I fell for a 2014 Mini Cooper JCW Countryman. Hey at least I have that big center speedometer again and can't forget about the oil dipstick has returned. We liked Gen2 styling so much that we also bought a 2015 Mini Cooper S Roadster for the wifey.

I forgot to mention we once had a 2006 Mini Cooper S (Gen1)