F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Dynamic Damper Control issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:24 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Dynamic Damper Control issues

I have had the whole back of my F56's interior panels removed for couple of months. Been upgrading the stereo and it has been a long process.
I have noticed that the shocks sound loose in all but sport mode. I mentioned this to my service adviser the other day and he said that I was not the first person to complain of this problem. I think my problem is more obvious because I have no insulation between me and the shocks.
Anyone else have the same issue?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Update. I am told that BMW have made virtually no suspension parts available at this time. They have no idea what is causing the problem. When I first picked up the car back in April 2014 there was a scratch on the Horn (drivers air bag) they ordered a new one straight away. It finally showed up on Jan 12th 2015.
I must say that this has not been a good experience - At least I received the new transmission in quick time (6 weeks). :-(

Old 01-23-2015, 02:28 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Boy not much feed back on the noise....

Found this on the F56 forum....they had a recall in the UK.

"Im in the Uk and Received a email today about my 4 week old F56 .

OUTSTANDING ENHANCEMENT: MINI Cooper S 3-door Hatch 2.0
I email to advise you that BMW have announced an enhancement on your MINI.[/FONT]
Could I ask that you call me to arrange a suitable date to have the work carried out .

Called them it turns out to be more a recall , Its problem with the rear suspension where the shocks meet the axle and can cause a noise from the back . Booked in for Friday to have it done at my local Mini dealer and its going to take a hour to fix ."

Old 01-28-2015, 11:21 AM
spacecadet
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Boy not much feed back on the noise....

I email to advise you that BMW have announced an enhancement on your MINI.[/FONT]
Could I ask that you call me to arrange a suitable date to have the work carried out .

Called them it turns out to be more a recall , Its problem with the rear suspension where the shocks meet the axle and can cause a noise from the back . Booked in for Friday to have it done at my local Mini dealer and its going to take a hour to fix ."

Any luck with this - do you know exactly what they did?

There is a bulletin that may apply here - SI M37 01 14:-

Knocking Noise from Rear Shock Absorber
MODEL
F56 (2-door Hardtop)
Produced from October 2013 through April 2014
With SA 223 Dynamic Damper Control

So I call BS on your dealer not being able to get parts, if there is a bulletin, parts must be available.

However this bulletin does cover your symptoms, the resolution being to replace the shocks, yet you seem to have found another explanation based on your research, hence my question as to what they fixed on your car in the end.

My car also has DDC and was built last March, yet does not display these symptoms as of now. However, I am in warm California and my car only has 2000 miles under its belt, so it may yet show up. I note you are likely in a much colder region. At what point/mileage did you start to notice this problem?

Last edited by spacecadet; 01-28-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Donnaj1dlh
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this be the problem I have? I've detailed it in the 'find the rattles' thread. I don't have DDC though. Could it happen on standard S's?? Currently waiting on my dealer to obtain 'a tool' to access something on the rear suspension. ?....

Old 01-28-2015, 12:55 PM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Donnaj1dlh
Could this be the problem I have? I've detailed it in the 'find the rattles' thread. I don't have DDC though. Could it happen on standard S's?? Currently waiting on my dealer to obtain 'a tool' to access something on the rear suspension. ?....
I have an S without DDC and mine is making the noise too. I mentioned it in the other thread also.

Please keep me updated!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Donnaj1dlh
1st Gear
You're in the UK too Greg? I must chase up my dealer to get the car back in. Next step (if they still can't recreate/pinpoint the fault) is to take the tech out myself so I can highlight it....or take out the demo S so I can hear a direct comparison. I will not accept there is no fault. I will not put up with this for 3 years.......

Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Donnaj1dlh
1st Gear
Gregory....can you put up a link to this item? I'd really like to hear what others have to say. Thanks!

QUOTE=GregoryK;4036700]Boy not much feed back on the noise....

Called them it turns out to be more a recall , Its problem with the rear suspension where the shocks meet the axle and can cause a noise from the back . Booked in for Friday to have it done at my local Mini dealer and its going to take a hour to fix ."[/QUOTE]

Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 PM
kgehrig
1st Gear
I had the rattling on mine only when cold. Of course when I got it to dealer it had been warmer. They could not replicate, but when I pointed to the service bulletin they ordered the shocks under it. It took a week to get them shipped from CA.

Mine was manufacture March 2014.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Donnaj1dlh
You're in the UK too Greg? I must chase up my dealer to get the car back in. Next step (if they still can't recreate/pinpoint the fault) is to take the tech out myself so I can highlight it....or take out the demo S so I can hear a direct comparison. I will not accept there is no fault. I will not put up with this for 3 years.......

Sorry for the late reply. I'm actually in Canada. It is a very obvious issue in my case amplified by the lack of interior panels. There is no noise in Sport Mode. It is weird that both shocks went at the same time and I remember the day it started. It was very subtle to start but it was after I put on new tires (non run-flats). I'm not sure why but that was it for sure. Greg

Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Here's the link to the F56 Forum. With the same issue

http://www.minif56.com/forum/289-min...hancement.html

Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
You have had some bad luck with that car Greg. Sorry to hear it.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Yep. Thinking maybe get rid of it. ...but thinking JCW and go through the whole process again.! :-)