F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Gripe, cost of MINI performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:15 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Gripe, cost of MINI performance upgrades

Have any of you seen Ford's options of engine upgrades? <$500 for a horsepower increase and still covered by factory warranty. This is for their turbo charged engines. I think that we are getting hosed by BMW.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford aftermarket is cheaper and bigger, too!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
Have any of you seen Ford's options of engine upgrades? <$500 for a horsepower increase and still covered by factory warranty. This is for their turbo charged engines. I think that we are getting hosed by BMW.
Yeah Fords rock. You can get $9,000 off the sticker price of an F150, 0% financing, and it will haul a freight train up the side of the Grand Canyon to boot!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:55 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Yeah, just look at this piece of sh**

Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah Fords rock. You can get $9,000 off the sticker price of an F150, 0% financing, and it will haul a freight train up the side of the Grand Canyon to boot!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:12 PM
two250
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume the OP is talking about this: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/27/f...lash-warranty/

Which is a really cool thing for Ford to offer. I am a massive Ford fan. I would have bought a FoST or FiST if they offered it in a 2 door here! I didn't want a 4 door hatch...

Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by two250
I assume the OP is talking about this: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/27/f...lash-warranty/

Which is a really cool thing for Ford to offer. I am a massive Ford fan. I would have bought a FoST or FiST if they offered it in a 2 door here! I didn't want a 4 door hatch...
I haven't had a chance to drive the FiST yet but the Focus ST was a surprisingly fun car to drive. In Canada it's a four door as well, I wasn't too keen on the look,or the boyracer interior, but everything else was great.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Danger Dan
3rd Gear
Yea, mini is very close to losing their true enthusiast followers. Theres already very weak aftermarket support for the f56, and I assume it is due to a very small number of true enthusiasts willing or wanting to modify their cars.

Compare that with the new WRX/STI that came out in 2015. Theres already multiple ECU reflashes (true ecu tunes) full exhausts, multiple coilovers, turbo upgrades, etc etc.

The only power upgrade MINI offers is the JCW exhaust/tune. Which you have to buy both, and you have to dish out well over 2k for it. Mini obviously has a modest aftermarket tune which they dont mind warrantying that can net around 20hp, but they chose to not make it available without their crazy priced exhaust kit.

They definitely need to change their ways or I can see this brand being dropped from tuners and enthusiasts very quickly.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:37 PM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
idk how u guys see the MINI.
But to me.... you cant really compare it to a WRX or STI

I initially purchase the Mini because

1. My GF owns a 2010
2. I enjoy getting around cars when needed.....
3. Saves gas
4. I like the styling
5. Turbo charged from factory
6. Hatchback (I have a thing for hatch)

The car have enough power to pass most cars out on the road, with enough performance to give me the excitement and saves gas at the same time.

Well i never saw the MINI would have alot of aftermarket support, as there are a LIMITED amount of MINI on the road. So if you bought a MINI u should have expected that.

So far the only bolt on exhaust is from VIP for the US Spec. Which i have been waiting and waiting for a european company to make it fit.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
If you want a killer F56 then wait for the JCW factory car. That will blow any similar Ford or Volkswagen product into the freaking weeds. Trust me, I've got a serious track car Mini right now, and the f56 will kill mine in the JCW factory version. Mini aftermarket parts have never been big, because it's not a big brand sales-wise. It's not for the cheapskate. It's for the enthusiast.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
cheapskate

If you want a killer F56 then wait for the JCW factory car. That will blow any similar Ford or Volkswagen product into the freaking weeds. Trust me, I've got a serious track car Mini right now, and the f56 will kill mine in the JCW factory version. Mini aftermarket parts have never been big, because it's not a big brand sales-wise. It's not for the cheapskate. It's for the enthusiast.
Implying that someone who has purchased 3 minis in 7 years is a cheapskate
is a little far fetched. Its pretty clear that the JCW upgrade is pretty overpriced be at least 4 fold. Of course the internet makes it easy to make comments like yours.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:13 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Complaining about poor aftermarket support on a car that's only been on the market for less than a year?

Oh c'mon now.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
My F56 got beat by a VW GLI =(?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Implying that someone who has purchased 3 minis in 7 years is a cheapskate
is a little far fetched. Its pretty clear that the JCW upgrade is pretty overpriced be at least 4 fold. Of course the internet makes it easy to make comments like yours.
I said the Mini in general is not for the budget minded. My fJCW upgrade was about $7k. For that I got: Brembo brakes, the JCW body kit, the bigger turbocharger, and some wheel and interior upgrades. Compare that to the BMW M series upgrade or the Mercedes. Very reasonable IMO.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:13 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by fenderpicks
My F56 got beat by a VW GLI =(?
I seriously doubt the factory JCW F56 would. I think that car will be ready for the track right off the lot. In addition to the body kit/brakes/turbo it's supposed to include the upgraded suspension as well. If it costs $7k more like mine did that would be a bargain IMO.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 12-31-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:35 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Zillon
Complaining about poor aftermarket support on a car that's only been on the market for less than a year?

Oh c'mon now.
My thoughts EXACTLY....
A MINI is a small volume car...so parts and mods will never be cheap...
Let's face it, FORD SELLS more cars in a year than MINI will sell in the entire "f series redsegin in the next 7.....
But you get a car that is different...ford is like fast food IMO...yummy a cheap, but can leave you empty and with an aftertaste, the mini, more like a sit down meal...more $$$, but ultimately more satisfying.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:55 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Complaining???????????

Originally Posted by Zillon

Oh c'mon now.
Get real. The current 2 liter engine is fully developed and has variants as high as over 250hp. You just don't get it. All these horse power variants are decided when the engine is developed. The variants are just part of the plan.
The 180 hp doesn't cost any less than the 250+ in the 328i.
The JCW upgrade for the '156S should cost ( retail, nothing but labor ) 4-500. But, they require the exhaust, that adds no significant increase in performance. You guys need to either " get a grip" or just quit believing BMW's "bs".

Old 01-01-2015, 04:20 AM
brando087
2nd Gear
This sounds like a Subaru forum now..

Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Get real. The current 2 liter engine is fully developed and has variants as high as over 250hp. You just don't get it. All these horse power variants are decided when the engine is developed. The variants are just part of the plan.
The JCW upgrade for the '156S should cost ( retail, nothing but labor ) 4-500. But, they require the exhaust, that adds no significant increase in performance. You guys need to either " get a grip" or just quit believing BMW's "bs".
Nobody is believing anybody's BS, nobody needs to get a grip. MINI is a lower-volume brand, and as such will never have the same after-market support as that of a higher-volume brand. It is what it is; you either choose to live with it as a matter of personal preference and pay the extra for the extras, or you go to another brand. No need to get snippy.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually when I'm considering buying something and I determine that the price does not provide the kind of value I'm looking for, I move on to something else.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:39 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Choose wisely & you can have some nice mods with a large bang for the buck factor. The F56 has not been out long, given time there will be more aftermarket support. I know waiting can be tough.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not sure what you've been reading, but the engines do differ from the F56 to the 320i and 328i, and the upcoming 330i.

The engines in the 3-series have changed slightly in a very short span of time (read: 2 years). The 328i launched with the N20 initially, then BMW changed the hardware and tuning up slightly, made the N20 into an SULEV engine, and then we had the N26. And now, only 2 years later, the N26 is being replaced with the B48, which seems to be a nearly all-new engine, with different software again. While these engines seem very similar, they are very different.

And let us not forget the F56 initially launched with the B48 in the 2014 models, and then received the SULEV B46 engine for the 2015s (remember the big EPA delay?).

In addition to the musical engine swaps, Mini has never been a mass-market brand. It's a niche brand with niche vehicles for niche owners. In reference to the software, when comes to dealing with new applications for engine software tuning, the tuners are always going to tackle the bigger markets first - and in this case, they're hitting BMW bread and butter models before the F56.

Next time, do a little reading.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
The JB Berger Tune unit adds maybe 20-30 HP for about $400, installs in 5 minutes. Cheap.