F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 MINI Second Date with free gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MINI Second Date with free gas

Received this in email.

What should I expect from this "date"?

Do they fill up your gas all the way to Full? It does say "some free gas", but the gas tank isn't that big anyway.
-> I called MINI Portland, service person said it's a car wash and full gas fill up done by the service person. He told me he never heard of giving a gas voucher, but that may differ depending on which dealer you go to. I wasn't offered any car wash, but gas was filled up.

Q: Why the sudden "clunk!!!" in stop and go traffic? I was in Green mode with auto idle stop disabled. Happened once driving between 5-10 mph.
A: "This is never heard of. If it was a wide spread problem, we would know about it. If any problems happen again, come in for service."

Q: Does the AC run all the time if wind is directed to windshield? (I'm not sure about this now after testing mine for a while, it looks it doesn't turn on AC)
A: "No way. Never heard of such thing even on other cars unless you use automatic climate control. AC will not run unless you press the AC button."

Q: What does e-sys coding "whatever value" do? Maybe I shouldn't ask anything about e-sys, or do you guys think it's okay to ask? --> didn't ask

Q: What's making a whine noise every time I open the door, or when I just turn on the interior lights (from everything completely powered off for more than 20 minutes)? Is it really the fuel pump? Not that worried, just curious.
A: "It's the Hard Disk. (but I don't have a hard disk). Then it's the computer preparing everything because normally you would only open the door to drive."

Q: When is the radiator flushed? I heard it's a lifetime fluid, but does that mean 4 years? (when the warranty expires).
A: "It's a condition based service (CBS). We check whenever you come in for oil changes and measure how worn the fluid is." (I doubt they really check the fluid.. but who knows)

Q: Is tire rotation included in the free-maintenance?
A: "No. It'll cost you $20" (so it's not really free-maintenance...)

Q: In the manual, why is it not recommended to charge my phone on the USB jack? How am I supposed to use it if I can't even connect it? I'm guessing this is an oversight or bad translation in the manual.
A: "When the stereo is playing music, it's okay. Just don't expect to only charge your phone using the USB port without playing music." (weird answer)

Q: Will the B38/B48 engines require shell-nut blasting in the intake manifold after 60k miles or so?
A: "Too early to tell, but R56 without turbos didn't have this problem." (F56 has a turbo though..)

Q: What belts will be needing replacement in the future and when? (this will be long after the warranty expires, but belts are supposed to be replaced at certain intervals as rubber deteriorates)
A: "Serpentine belts are replaced usually at 40k miles, costs hundred something. Again, this is a CBS."

Q: What's the normal max temperature for the coolant? I've seen up to 240F in my car with very gentle driving, and mostly near 220-230F. My Mazda CX-5 2.5L direct injection is normally 183F.
A: That's normal with turbo engines"

Q: Why did my trunk open by itself while I was parking?
A: "You probably hit the trunk open button, or could be bad switch, or software related."

Q: Any software updates for my 2014/9 built F56?
A: "No"

p.s. I'm not trying to bash MINI or anything or anyone. I love my 2015 F56 and it's perfect size for me.

--Update: I got the "second date" done today. It was as expected. I wasn't really expecting anything new.
My car is currently averaging 26 MPG.

Attached Thumbnails MINI Second Date with free gas-free-gas.jpg  

Last edited by hp79; 12-30-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: updates
Old 12-21-2014, 02:15 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Having bought from Portland Mini, a used CM, I don't get any free stuff at all. I wonder about the tips and tricks? Be curious to know what they are, maybe they tell you to find a good indy shop to save money on repairs and maintenance? LOL

Old 12-21-2014, 02:29 PM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be heading to Portland Mini in January to have them do a couple of things they weren't able to do when I picked up my new Mini. They did say I would be getting a gas voucher. I plan on combining this with a Mini Society of Oregon meeting. Since I live 230 miles away it is not a simple thing to do.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:33 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Gas voucher? I was told by MINI Portland sales rep that they will fill it up for me, but if it's a gas voucher then I don't have to try to come in with almost empty gas tank. Yeah, I'm cheap. lol.

What things are they doing to your car?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 PM
rbe
1st Gear
We picked up our new MCS yestrerday. The MA said they would schedule a "second date." He said don't worry about how much gas is in the tank. He said they would wash the car, give it a once over, answer any questions and give us a voucher for a tank of gas.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:07 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Many dealers are starting to do this - From what I understand, the second date is when you come back in to the dealer, they answer any lingering questions about how to operate the car and it's gadgets, and they will usually wash your car, perform a basic inspection and either top off your gas tank or give you a gas card.

It's a pretty cool program and my local dealer has had some success with it.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:09 PM
hp79
4th Gear
How much worth gas voucher do they give? I'll have to check with them again tomorrow if it's a gas voucher or if they just fill it up.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hp79
Received this in email. What should I expect from this "date"? Do they fill up your gas all the way to Full? It does say "some free gas", but the gas tank isn't that big anyway. I don't have any questions and I don't think they'll be able to answer them, but I am going to talk about a problem I've experienced. Do you guys think there's already a software update for my Sept 30, 2014 production date F56? Things I'm going to ask (or maybe not): -Why the sudden clunk!!! while stop and go traffic in green mode with auto idle stop disabled? (happened once) -Does the AC run all the time if wind is directed to windshield? (I'm not sure about this now after testing mine for a while, it looks it doesn't turn on AC) -What does e-sys coding xxxxxxxxxx do? Maybe I shouldn't ask anything about e-sys... -What's making a whine noise every time I open the door and the lights come on? -When is the radiator flushed? Is this included in the free service? -What else should I ask...
I think it's max 50.00 gas
The whining noise is the fuel pump priming for the impending start. Normal
Coolant is lifetime but many choose earlier and it's not included
If equipped have them go over all the connected drive settings and phone connection questions u may still have.

Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drivehard
Thanks! I was wondering this same thing myself. I assumed it was normal but never knew what the noise was to be honest.

I should have known as much too... I have a 1958 Morris Minor 1000 that makes the same noise, however, it's key activated so when you turn the key to run the fuel pump kicks on... wait about 5-10 seconds and pull the starter.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:03 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
I think it's max 50.00 gas
Coolant is lifetime but many choose earlier and it's not included
If equipped have them go over all the connected drive settings and phone connection questions u may still have.

Congrats.
Do I get to choose between a gas fillup or a giftcard?

I was hoping it's not the fuel pump since most times in the garage I don't even have the key near me. Just turning on the interior lights starts that whine noise.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Obviously you have a lot of questions about your F56 that are not answered in the manuals/on-line resources. Make a thorough list of your questions and go to your local dealer... they are probably less than 15 miles from your house. Ask a SA to step away from the counter and sit down with you in the lounge area so you can have a private, unhurried conversation to address your concerns. I have purchased two vehicles from your local dealer and have found them to be very accommodating on consumer product issues. No matter how basic the question, they never 'talked down' to me. A point of caution though, if your car is deemed to need a software revision, it will probably default all of the electronic gizmos and features to the factory settings for cars sold in the USA. Just saying...

Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
Do I get to choose between a gas fillup or a giftcard? I was hoping it's not the fuel pump since most times in the garage I don't even have the key near me. Just turning on the interior lights starts that whine noise.
Depends on center. Some have their own gas pumps and some rely on outside gas stations

It's not a bad thing that you hear the whine. Like I said its normal. The reason you hear it is because the car isn't running and it's quiet.

The key has nothing to do with it. The minute you opened the door the car is anticipating an engine start attempt and is preparing the start process by priming the fuel pump. It's just how it is.

Take head to what last post said. If you have concerns questions. Ask! There is no such thing as a stupid question. Knowledge is power. The more you know the easier your life with the car will be.

Enjoy the car
Drive the car
Don't worry about the car. It takes all the fun away.

Regards and relax and enjoy. Motor on.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
hp79
4th Gear
What I'm worried about is that they might be typical script readers, and not too much knowledgable. I can probably find much more answers from NAM forum members. I'm not saying that this dealer is not knowledgeable, but it is typical that they are just another sales person.

Maybe the technician would know a lot, but not the sales person. I don't think even the technicians would know the answers to whether airconditioner runs when wind is directed to the windshield, or would disabling aircon for auto-climate control in E-sys coding turn it off. But I'm going to make a list, and try to ask everything. The sales associate didn't seem to know about the door handle keycap falling off issue either.

Every time I call someone for tech support on computer/laptops/gadgets, I get connected to some place in India and they just read off a manual for troubleshooting. They are usually less knowledgeable than people on the internet who really care about things.

I asked about the "second-date" free gas, and the service guy said it's not a gas certificate. It's a car wash followed by a gas fill up. He said he never handed out a gas card before.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hp79,

The SA that I referred to is the SERVICE ADVISOR, not a Sales Associate. I know that the F series cars are a new product to the advisors as well as the techs, and there is a learning curve for them as well as the owners of the F series. Tech support for automobiles (in my experience) is done face to face at the dealership. Experience with other products via the phone or internet does not translate directly to the automobile industry. Our MINIs are rather unique in their driving characteristics and quirky presence. MINIs beg to be personalized. With that comes some compromise on the owners part. If you do feel that MINIs are lacking to the point of causing you undo stress, you might reconsider your decision and look for a transportation appliance (aka: Prius, Leaf, etc.). Most MINI drivers love the quirkiness and everyday pleasures of on-ramps, exits, winding roads, and having your spouse tell you to slow down!

Old 12-23-2014, 11:16 AM
jtoddpaul
1st Gear
I bought my F56 in June. Sometime in August I signed up for and went on the Second Date. It was actually an enjoyable event, attended by roughly 30 people I would say.

It was catered with finger foods, free drinks, nice desserts. You can walk around the garage and see the cars in various states of maintenance/repairs (which I personally enjoyed; others may not care). Someone is there that will go over various options within the car and answer pretty much any question you throw out there. And trust me, from the questions I heard that night, you shouldn't be embarrassed by asking about the most basic of things.

I wasn't offered the free gas incentive but did take full advantage of the 20% discount off the purchase total in their store. I probably bought over $100 worth of items.

Overall, it's a very nice event and I let them know that I enjoyed going. I probably spent about an hour and a half in total there. It's worth going in my opinion, if nothing else to get a chance to hang around others who enjoy the car as much as you do.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:29 AM
hp79
4th Gear
That would have been a fun tour. My dealer told me it's more like a q&a and initial checkup for the car.

I don't have any basic questions as I'm pretty sure I know more than at least the sales person. (Sorry, no offense to the dealer. The dealer I dealt with was very pleasant to work with. Her name is Kirstie.) I like to know my gadgets and read through the manual and I don't have many optional add-ons so it's pretty much impossible to not know everything basic.

I don't think even the tech person would be able to answer if I ask them what kind of playlist formay does my infotainment through usb flash drive support, (answer: m3u*) or what type can it play(wma? mp4? ogg?). But I hope I can get some answers for the questions I ask. I'll update the first post once I go through this "date".

Last edited by hp79; 12-23-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:01 AM
RedOx75
Neutral
I've been trying to set up my "second date" and my salesman kind of blew off the question. Last week he emailed me to tell me that the $50 gas card he mentioned when I bought the car is only good on new MINI vehicle purchases and not certified. That's pretty disappointing - I'm half tempted to respond with "Do I even get a coffee mug, anything?!" I don't feel the need to go over the car again with him - there's nothing I need to know that can't be answered on this message board.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
clintmeister
3rd Gear
At least you got offered a Second Date! MINI of Dallas won't even reach out to me. MINI of Little Rock said they would do the second date for me even though I didn't purchase my car from them, but I don't think I will get the gas fill up or car wash.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:38 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
These things very by dealer and Motoring advisors. I schedule the second date at the time of purchase. Usually 30-45 days out. All my customers have my cell number and email. And I know the car better than most if our techs but I make it a point to learn as much as I can. I am also a Miniac not just a person selling cars. I want my customers to fall in love with the car and me. I also own two, with wife's is the VO Cooper.

Name:  IMG_20150522_065118550_HDR.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  192.5 KB

Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 PM
PatM
6th Gear
My wife and I are going in for the second date this weekend. I was told they will wash our car, we get $40.00 gas cards for each car, any questions we have will be answered and they will install our plates. I think they use the license plate arrival as the determining factor on the timing of the second date. I like the idea and frankly I like going to our dealership. They have a great lounge area, good free coffee and snacks and my wife loves spending money on Mini clothes. I like looking at accessories and other goodies. I typically leave with a much lighter wallet which is why I have a tendency to stay away except when it comes service time. LOL

I think it's a cool thing. I won't really have any questions because I have the cars pretty much figured out now and dialed in. They are the 4th and 5th Mini's we have bought from the same dealership and they treat us pretty well. The team there is pretty friendly and generally a good group of guys and gals.

Northwest Mini is where we go which is in Fife, Washington. It's nice having a Mini dealer 1/2 hour from your house. (Detrimental to the wallet though.)

Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
We also coordinate our 2nd dates with the installation of license plates. Makes it convenient, the customer gets a free tank of gas, and everyone drives away happy.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:17 AM
carman63
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took delivery in early May and haven't heard from my MA (other than wanting to know if I completed the survey). Communication after the sale isn't their strong suit.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'd have sworn part of the noise when I open my doors of my F56 S is the windows indexing. On the C7 Corvette, the windows lower and raise a bit as necessary when I open and close the doors. I assumed the same with the MINI.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:18 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I'd have sworn part of the noise when I open my doors of my F56 S is the windows indexing. On the C7 Corvette, the windows lower and raise a bit as necessary when I open and close the doors. I assumed the same with the MINI.
Your right but it is also the pump. The pump usually only primes once. If you open and close the door repeatedly you will not hear it the second time but you will the windows. After the car has been sitting for while open the door and have your ears tuned and you will hear both.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Zillon
We also coordinate our 2nd dates with the installation of license plates. Makes it convenient, the customer gets a free tank of gas, and everyone drives away happy.
What state delivers a car on temp plates for a car sold in the same state?

Are there dealers still that don't do their own DMV even transfers on spot deliveries?

Quick Reply: F55/F56 MINI Second Date with free gas