F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 FYI imminent recall for software update

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
kongjie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI imminent recall for software update

Today I brought my car into the dealer for the spare wheel recall. When I got there, I was informed that there is another recall coming out soon. The software update can take 4–6 hours.

Just a head's-up in case you have made an appointment for the spare fix. MINI of Stevens Creek said they would have to keep the car all day and couldn't guarantee it would be done by closing, and they had no loaners, so now I have to go back next week for the software fix. Had I known, I would have planned so as to get both things done at once.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 PM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
46 hours for a software update?!
How many floppy disks do they have to load??

Also does this get us back our rev matching??

Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 PM
kongjie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by g34343greg
46 hours for a software update?!
How many floppy disks do they have to load??

Also does this get us back our rev matching??
They're using Zip disks, so it's not so bad. I think you misread 4 to 6 as 46 LOL.

Dunno about rev matching, but it will specifically address the drivetrain malfunction that a lot of people have seen.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM
ethansun
Neutral
This is for both non-s and s models?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM
kongjie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ethansun
This is for both non-s and s models?
Dunno. Mine is the base, non-S model.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, What spare wheel recall?
I see your Mini is a 2014. ours is a 2013. Is it part of the recall?
Which years/models does the software recall include?

Old 12-09-2014, 02:48 PM
kongjie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
Sorry, I can only confirm this applies to you if you have my same car --2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop (non-S). The person at MINI said the software recall has not yet been sent out, but is coming.

I got the notice for the spare wheel thing about a week ago in the mail. If you didn't get it, probably doesn't apply to your car.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kongjie
Sorry, I can only confirm this applies to you if you have my same car --2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop (non-S). The person at MINI said the software recall has not yet been sent out, but is coming.

I got the notice for the spare wheel thing about a week ago in the mail. If you didn't get it, probably doesn't apply to your car.

Just found it, looks like the spare tire retaining nut on the 2014 models only.
http://vehicles.automobilemag.com/am...2/recalls.html

Old 12-09-2014, 04:43 PM
smallbug
2nd Gear
When you took your car in was the computer doing anything funny?
Mine just started to not always give me control over the music while having my iphone plugged into the usb. I can select songs/playlist but then it doesn't actually play them. So far my fix has been to reboot my phone.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
Had my 2014 Justa(Base) in for service last week; spare tire screw and software update. Took them 5 hours, luckily had loaner so picked it up the next day

Old 12-09-2014, 05:02 PM
TREX
4th Gear
I would assume a software update would not necessarily result in a recall but would only be done when your Mini was in for something other than the update.
Should one inquire about updates when bringing your Mini in for service or should they just do it automatically? (Our Mini is due in for routine service after the first of the year)

Old 12-09-2014, 06:14 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by smallbug
When you took your car in was the computer doing anything funny?
Mine just started to not always give me control over the music while having my iphone plugged into the usb. I can select songs/playlist but then it doesn't actually play them. So far my fix has been to reboot my phone.
This is happening to me as well. A phone reboot fixes it. What I can't understand is how this would just start happening out of the blue? I mean, wouldn't a change in SW of the car or the phone cause this to start happening?

I haven't had a car SW change in a couple of months, and no iphone update either, and this just began happening recently. What gives?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would assume a software update would not necessarily result in a recall but would only be done when your Mini was in for something other than the update.
You are correct.
RECALL is directly related to saftey and oversees by NHSTA.
This particular software update (tsb) for 2014 Justa is just an update and has nothing to do with NHSTA.
Many people do not differentiate between RECALL and TSB.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:55 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Took my base model in last week for the spare tire nut recall and they did the software upgrade. I was only there 2 hours. The update was for apparent stalling.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sal1k
What I can't understand is how this would just start happening out of the blue?
It "is due to the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix" and is basically a systemic anomaly.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Bug fixes! Funny, I was on the R56 forum since 2007 and I never saw a thread about software updates, not one that I remember.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 AM
kongjie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
It "is due to the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix" and is basically a systemic anomaly.
So does that mean this isn't my first MINI, but actually my third?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:01 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kongjie
So does that mean this isn't my first MINI, but actually my third?
Yes. The first MINI was made perfect. But, it was discovered the human brain could not fathom a British car that wasn't constantly in need of mechanical attention.

The second and successive versions of the MINI were created to include a range of issues and problems that were more in line with the expectations of human nature.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Rajapruk
3rd Gear
yes. The first mini was made perfect. But, it was discovered the human brain could not fathom a british car that wasn't constantly in need of mechanical attention.

The second and successive versions of the mini were created to include a range of issues and problems that were more in line with the expectations of human nature.
lol.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:32 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Bug fixes! Funny, I was on the R56 forum since 2007 and I never saw a thread about software updates, not one that I remember.
Haven't been paying attention then. I had my R56 in at least twice for software/firmware updates.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Recall is for 3rd gen cars...
The 2nd gen roadster, cabrio, and other remaining 2nd gen "R" CARS are not affected..should be the same for software...very different cars, with different motors, and different computers.
It us a shame the "F" CARS, AKA , GEN3 are having a bit of a rough time in the first year (OK, a couple months of '14 AND THE '15+), BUT first year cars usually have a few more bugs for a bit. Sounds like they are working on wiping out the "bugs"!!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Funny as heck!!

Yes. The first MINI was made perfect. But, it was discovered the human brain could not fathom a British car that wasn't constantly in need of mechanical attention.

The second and successive versions of the MINI were created to include a range of issues and problems that were more in line with the expectations of human nature.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Is this software update the one to address the jacked-up auto-start-stop system? That was expected for December.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH

Funny as heck!!

This is more commonly referred to as "built in obsolescence".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Seems certain automobile manufactures have more of this "built in obsolescence" than others though, therefore requiring proper due diligence in researching a particular manufacture brand before making a purchase.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my 2014 F56 Justa off the lot in mid-July 2014. I experienced intermittent cold start and cold drivability issues... not terminal but annoying. After I recorded the recommended break-in miles, I took the car to the dealer rather than have NAM members diagnose the issues. The dealer said a 'couple' of F56 Cooper owners had made similar comments and they had just received a software up-date that should fix the issues. Because it was a cold engine issue, they performed the update and requested they keep the car overnight so they could test it 'dead cold' they next day. They gave me a loaner overnight. The car's performance after the fix was remarkably better! The cold issues disappeared completely!

Fast forward to 12/5, booked appointment to perform spare tire fastener recall. Appointment person indicated that my car required a software upgrade as well and they needed the car for the full day. When I logged the car in, and had the key fob read, the SA told me my software was up to date due to the work they performed in September. So, 40 minutes later the spare fix was complete and I was on the road.

If you had not been in for the software upgrade prior to the spare tire recall, the dealers are just playing catch up while they had your car in the shop. The software issue was a TSB, not a recall and is usually performed as an exception as not all owners experienced or understood that their ride needed a little fine tuning to make it a truly pleasurable experience.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 FYI imminent recall for software update