F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Does the automatic climate control fan speed change when heating in Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:36 AM
JohnWB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the automatic climate control fan speed change when heating in Auto

Does the automatic climate control fan speed change when in Auto when the car internal temperature is lower that outside.

It seems to heat up the air but does not blow any harder

I have never seen the green air flow auto intensity LEDs change position or do you have to rotate the **** manualy to increase or decrease the air flow.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:45 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't forget to open the vents!

When the climate control is in auto, the airflow control works as an intensity control. What do you suppose that means?

P. 130 of the manual

Intensity of the AUTO program
With the AUTO program switched on, automatic control of the air flow and air distribution can be adjusted. Turn the wheel to set the desired intensity. The selected intensity is displayed on the automatic climate control.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 AM
JohnWB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
Don't forget to open the vents!

When the climate control is in auto, the airflow control works as an intensity control. What do you suppose that means?

P. 130 of the manual

Intensity of the AUTO program
With the AUTO program switched on, automatic control of the air flow and air distribution can be adjusted. Turn the wheel to set the desired intensity. The selected intensity is displayed on the automatic climate control.
I saw that, but to me, Auto program means everything is done automatically, which it does when the car internal temperature is greater than outside ie the fan speed increases so why not for heating? strange

Old 10-14-2014, 06:04 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnWB
I saw that, but to me, Auto program means everything is done automatically, which it does when the car internal temperature is greater than outside ie the fan speed increases so why not for heating? strange
+1 and 100% agree, however, auto to MINI is not truly auto. In every other vehicle I've owned with auto climate control the fan speed it truly automatic. I just set the desired temperature and the fan speed would increase/decrease as needed to maintain that temperature.

I don't really understand why a MINI with auto climate control allows the user to change the fan speed. To me this is not auto climate control and when you make this adjust should "disable auto climate" as you are now manually adjusting the cars climate/temperature.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Maybe "automatic" means the climate control will automatically come on when starting the vehicle. Even if you turned it off a thousand times.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Patriot!
Maybe "automatic" means the climate control will automatically come on when starting the vehicle. Even if you turned it off a thousand times.

Drives me nuts. I turn it off and when I restart the car it's back to it's last known setting -- except for off! Same thing with sport mode... if I turn it on, leave it on until I turn it off.

I am almost positive MINI could easily fix these little gripes with a software update but I am not holding my breath.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Even so, don't you find that the car does a very good job of reaching the desired temp quickly and unobtrusively? Some other manufacturer's a.c.c. systems are really loud and annoying. Not ours.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
Even so, don't you find that the car does a very good job of reaching the desired temp quickly and unobtrusively? Some other manufacturer's a.c.c. systems are really loud and annoying. Not ours.
No. If you are on auto and have the fan speed at 1, the car won't heat up if its cold out. The fan needs to be at a higher speed.

MINI really should allow the fan speed to be controlled by the auto setting.

And the car should remember the settings when re-started.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The fan speed should turn up high automatically to heat a cold car. My R56 would wait until the engine water heated up before it turned up the fan speed however, maybe 3-4 minutes. Does the same thing with AC. Once you move the fan speed the auto climate control is off of course. The auto setting resumes every time you start the car. At's like most other cars.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Mosco
2nd Gear
This just goes to show how fun it must be to pick these settings when designing the car. For me, I prefer the adjustable fan speed and the fact that the car defaults to mid-mode on start-up. I understand how you could want it differently, but apparently I just got lucky this time.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Patriot!
This.

It will remember if you turn off the climate control, turn off your car for less than 15 minutes or so, and then restart your car...but anything longer and it reverts back.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:08 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mosco
This just goes to show how fun it must be to pick these settings when designing the car. For me, I prefer the adjustable fan speed and the fact that the car defaults to mid-mode on start-up. I understand how you could want it differently, but apparently I just got lucky this time.
I agree. The only nanny feature I dislike is when the car turns the stereo volume down. I'd prefer it left it alone.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:11 AM
JohnWB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
The fan speed should turn up high automatically to heat a cold car. My R56 would wait until the engine water heated up before it turned up the fan speed however, maybe 3-4 minutes. Does the same thing with AC. Once you move the fan speed the auto climate control is off of course. The auto setting resumes every time you start the car. At's like most other cars.

On my F56 the fan speed does not change when trying to heat the car (but it does when cooling) so it is not like most other cars unfortunately.

If you move the fan speed control, it stays in Auto and the fan speed is the same the next time you start the car.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 AM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
fan speed

My R56 with auto air would have the fan speed come on like a hurricane it the car was really hot or cold. My F56 with auto air does not seem to do that. I have had to dial up the fan speed. I make sure it is set for "auto" Makes me wonder.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnWB
On my F56 the fan speed does not change when trying to heat the car (but it does when cooling) so it is not like most other cars unfortunately.
If you move the fan speed control, it stays in Auto and the fan speed is the same the next time you start the car.
Then they changed it for the F56. One thing I'm glad I don't have on my new car is auto climate control. Even though it worked my wife always changed something. The manual controls are pretty easy to use.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It essentially works the same as my old BMW, only not quite as well. On the BMW you had 3 or 4 intensity settings. During the incredibly hot summers here is just keep intensity in the highest setting and let it do its thing. As the interior cooled the fan would slow down. During the winter Id keep it on mid and the same would apply.

That car also had an air temp adjustment separate from the climate controls temperature ****. It didn't make much sense to me but regardless of the convoluted logic, worked very well

With the Mini, it seems to try to do the same but doesn't work as well in my opinion. Still better than I expected.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:51 PM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
auto air

Glad to hear Mini made a change on this feature. Won't worry about and just adjust fan speed. I did read in the owners manual that with auto air if you have the left light of the recirculation button lighted, it is supposed the shut off outside air if the is an offensive odor outside. Guess I will have to wait to drive by an dead skunk to see if this works.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM
DarkBlue15MCS
2nd Gear
I just tried this on mine. I have the temp set at 74f and the fan speed on the second or third setting and have auto enabled. When I turn the temp to the highest or lowest setting the fan speed does increase without manually changing the fan speed.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:44 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkBlue15MCS
I just tried this on mine. I have the temp set at 74f and the fan speed on the second or third setting and have auto enabled. When I turn the temp to the highest or lowest setting the fan speed does increase without manually changing the fan speed.
That still isn't what those of us who don't like the F56 operation want.

The only reason fan is going to max is because temp went to max cool or max heat.

Totally agree I want my R56 mode of Auto climate back -- get in a hot car, I want the fan on high until the car cools off, then it can dial back the fan speed automatically.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
This seems to be the case with my f56. Set a desired temp and let it do its thinge. Only niggle I have is its' insistence on blowing air both up and down at all times.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:46 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
LOL. Of course ours is quieter. The fan is on low even in Auto. If you increase the fan speed when it's very cold out, our will be just as loud as every other car's.

I, too, find Mini's "Auto" climate control annoying because it isn't truly automatic. Why it isn't is beyond me.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
So, in short, the climate control SUCKS!!!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:23 AM
patrice03
1st Gear
well, i got my car last week and noticed it actually yesterday. Thought there was something wrong, but noticed that from time to time the fan speed changes in auto, meaning that auto does control also the fan speed, but the interference with the manual fan control does perhaps not allow it to operate as swiftly as a standard auto. may ask the dealer.

another feature i do not like is that we can not change simultaneously the temperature on both sides ? if you are alone, it sucks to operate as well the right temperature , or did i miss something ? ?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by patrice03
another feature i do not like is that we can not change simultaneously the temperature on both sides ? if you are alone, it sucks to operate as well the right temperature , or did i miss something ? ?
You didn't miss anything. MINI did. Most cars have a "sync" button which matches the drivers side with the passengers side temperature.

My only assumption, MINI figures the car is small enough it's easy to reach the passenger temperature?!?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 AM
patrice03
1st Gear
ok thanks !! yep first time i do not see this sync function... stupid.. but ok we still love our minis.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Does the automatic climate control fan speed change when heating in Auto