F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 issue - 2014 Mini Cooper dies during stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM
CMP
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
issue - 2014 Mini Cooper dies during stops

issue - 2014 Mini Cooper dies during stops

We have had it (not the S version) for 3 weeks now.
We have seen the issue 3 times so far. All three instances happened within the last 10 days.

DETAILS
Enabled: automatic transmission includes stop/start technology, which shuts the engine off when the car is idling.

The three instances when the engine died, an error message displays on the NAV screen and pressing the gas does not turn the car back on -- you physically have to move it to park and press the start button again. We have not had a chance to take a picture of the error -- cars have been behind us on the road.

We are ready to take a picture of it when it happens again.

We take it in on Saturday to have Mini check it out. Hopefully they will be able to pull something from the diagnostics.

Has anyone else seen this?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
Heifzilla
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During the three times it happened, had the car *just* gone into it's auto shut down/just starting to go into auto shutdown when you hit the gas to get started again?

I have the MT and if the car has *just* shut down (as in like 1 second or something) and I start to push the clutch in, or move the wheel, the car will completely stall, and I have to restart it. I think the computer has to have a few seconds between the auto shut down and restart or it freaks out and shuts the car down totally.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Had this happen to me for the second time today as well.

The first time it happened about 2 weeks ago, and did so while I was not even stopped but coasting to a stop, the warning came on while my car was still moving ~15mph and upon stopping I had to switch to park and restart the car.

Today it was right when I stopped at a light, saw the error/warning come up and immediately switched to park and restarted.

Also Automatic, also Justa.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM
CMP
1st Gear
Heifzilla - it did not appear to be a quick stop/start issue. we were at the light when it happened. the other two times were when pulling into a parking spot.

SeppTB - thanks. wondering if the new technology isn't quite there yet. definitely not safe. might be a huge issue for Mini if every auto car has it.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a known issue affecting certain F56 B38 (3-cyl) models with automatic transmission and there is a service bulletin/program update to correct it. Under load, the idle will dip and shut off the motor. Usually happens, or is more prominent, after a cold start and when shifting into reverse. But it can happen warm and in drive as well. See your dealer.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Patriot!
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Heifzilla
During the three times it happened, had the car *just* gone into it's auto shut down/just starting to go into auto shutdown when you hit the gas to get started again?

I have the MT and if the car has *just* shut down (as in like 1 second or something) and I start to push the clutch in, or move the wheel, the car will completely stall, and I have to restart it. I think the computer has to have a few seconds between the auto shut down and restart or it freaks out and shuts the car down totally.
I've had this happen a few times. I have since learned that I'd have to pay more attention when I coast into a red light and I'm the first in line. That's when it's happened to me each time.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM
CMP
1st Gear
Thanks MiniWuff! i'll update once they get back to me. i'll print this out and bring it to them Saturday so they can check their service notes.

appreciate it!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
drummerhc
Neutral
Happened to me once about two weeks ago.
Please post a picture of the error message when it happens again! I was in a panic to start the car and all I remembered was something like "gear is in D mode, car unable to start".

Originally Posted by MINIwuff
This is a known issue affecting certain F56 B38 (3-cyl) models with automatic transmission and there is a service bulletin/program update to correct it. Under load, the idle will dip and shut off the motor. Usually happens, or is more prominent, after a cold start and when shifting into reverse. But it can happen warm and in drive as well. See your dealer.
Do you know where I can look up for the service bulletin online on this issue? Thanks!!

Last edited by drummerhc; 07-31-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drummerhc
Happened to me once about two weeks ago.
Please post a picture of the error message when it happens again! I was in a panic to start the car and all I remembered was something like "gear is in D mode, car unable to start".

Do you know where I can look up for the service bulletin online on this issue? Thanks!!
Add this issue to the weeping wiper ducts. I'm compiling these when I take it into my dealer for the post-break in oil change, so they can take care of all of this stuff at once.

Please let us know the TSB ID if there is a TSB on this issue.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a known issue affecting certain F56 B38 (3-cyl) models with automatic transmission and there is a service bulletin/program update to correct it.
+1.
This error is stemming from the too lean condition during off-throttle condition to save fuel. Mini went too much, or too little of fuel supply. This is very common symptom on some EPA regulated vehicles in this country. This first had happened on my 2001 Dodge truck when I bought it new in 2001. Yes, Dodge issued a TSB to reflash the existing ECU. And it happened on a couple other EFI street bikes that I had in the past. Same fix - either reflash or new ECU with new mapping.

Indeed if there is already service bulletin out there, call Mini dealer or Mini USA to find out.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:06 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Has happened to me 4 times, but I have a manual Justa. It seems to happen during a shut-down that coincides with the need to go. It's always a bad scene, where I'n put in danger from the cars behind me.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
laj1211
1st Gear
This has also happened to me. As others have said I was freaking so I have no idea what the warning message said... I just know I had to restart the car. I thought that it may have been because I was on a hill and the car was rolling. Then it happened again when I was adjusting my parking in a parking space. I was in reverse and the car completely shut off. I guess to the dealer it goes. It hasn't happened in about a week.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Is this just a problem in the Justas?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mrdi
Is this just a problem in the Justas?
I think so, only on 1.5L.
I have 2.0L and it has not happened yet in my 1100 miles so far.
This engine stalling (due to too lean mapping) will get worse in colder season.

Has anyone experienced even when the engine is toasty hot, say after driving for 30+ minutes, in the middle of the day?

In my experience (with non-Mini), it happened within the first 5 minutes of driving for the 95% of time.

Knowing that 1.5L is the first year of their production (so is 2.0L) for the U.S. market, it is understandable that Mini didn't get it quite right the first time.

Reflashing the ECU with a new tune shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, usually about 5 minutes from the time of hooking up the cable from the dealer's pc to the OBD II port of the car.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:35 PM
deovolens
3rd Gear
With the "old" four cylinder the start stop function is NOT possible with the AT. That was a good choice.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 AM
laj1211
1st Gear
So I talked to my MA and now I am taking the car in to get checked out... the Mini service tech mentioned giving me a loaner... Uh I wonder why this will take that long that they need to give me a loaner. Maybe because they are not sure what the issue is? My appointment is not till Wednesday.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Chazman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by laj1211
Maybe because they are not sure what the issue is?
Did you ask the dealer if there is a TSB for reflashing the ECU to correct the engine stalling problem?
(Whether that is the actual problem in your case or not)

Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
laj1211
1st Gear
Yes I did ask the dealer about the TSB and also spoke with the service tech and they advised there was no TSB at this time. I will definitely let you know what they say after my appointment.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Chazman
4th Gear

Originally Posted by laj1211
Yes I did ask the dealer about the TSB and also spoke with the service tech and they advised there was no TSB at this time. I will definitely let you know what they say after my appointment.

What's the truth?

Old 08-03-2014, 04:46 PM
cb4d
1st Gear
Blast, this happened to me twice today. Same issue, once as I was rolling to a stop and I almost hit a car in front of me. The car is only 4 days old. Sigh.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Crashsector
Neutral
New DME software will be available at dealers tomorrow (8/4) to fix this. It was addressed in a TSB.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM
drummerhc
Neutral
Happened to me the second time yesterday. I was lucky enough to take some photos as I was the only one in the parking lot.
The center instrument message showed "Transmission not in Park: Vehicle may roll. It is not possible to lock vehicle from outside."
The odometer display showed "To start engine: Shift into Park"
You can reproduce the exact same mesage by leaving the transmission in Drive and shuts off the engine manually if you didn't get a chance to take a photo. The computer doesn't record this code as it probably thinks it's human error.
I am taking my car to the dealership this Friday. Over the phone it didn't sound like they were aware of this issue. I hope they won't solve this by simply do some idle adjustments.

Name:  imagejpg1.jpg
Views: 3079
Size:  71.7 KB

Last edited by drummerhc; 08-03-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashsector
New DME software will be available at dealers tomorrow (8/4) to fix this. It was addressed in a TSB.
Maybe post the TSB so peeps can pass along to the techs to research!
And how/where did you see the TSB?

Thanks.

Last edited by BubbaJCW; 08-04-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 AM
CMP
1st Gear
drummerhc - good job on the pic!

thanks all. ours is currently at the dealer.

... which means I get to drive the lotus around this week. :-)

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM
cb4d
1st Gear
Mine is at the dealer now too. I have a Paceman loaner. 4 days of ownership and I almost got in two wrecks, one of which was pretty close on a busy highway. I don't understand, why wasn't a recall issued if this is such a persistent issue? If it happens again post-software fix, I don't know if I'm going to keep the car, as much as I love it.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 issue - 2014 Mini Cooper dies during stops