F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Netherlands F56 production has begun

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Netherlands F56 production has begun

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/07/...ds/#more-35630

I for one am glad that my Oxford built 2015 is on a ship headed for the states.

No one seems to know yet where these cars might be sold.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM
djpic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aafflyer
http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/07/...ds/#more-35630

I for one am glad that my Oxford built 2015 is on a ship headed for the states.

No one seems to know yet where these cars might be sold.
I second that. I am very happy I ordered now and didn't wait until later this year after this news. British Car made it the UK...the way it should be. On the bright side, at least it isn't Mexico. The article also stated this is "contract manufacture." I guess they truly outsourced production.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 AM
emilyanny4u
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was interesting. Thank you for the share.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the robots work just as well in the Netherlands as they do in England or Mexico....

Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
I'm sure the robots work just as well in the Netherlands as they do in England or Mexico....
Folks said that about the mini's built in Austria.....
Proven to be very Wrong....

Plus I will point out anybody who buys a vw...the German ones are much better than the same Mexican clone....its the parts bolted on that make a differance....
And the Japanese built Honda/Toyota's are much the same vs the american versions....but VERY HARD to find since most are built in the us due to exchange rates....
Biggest issue is with parts suppliers.... Remember, cars are more assembled then built...and the 10,000 or so parts that bolt on/in a car are from various places.... Often from a manfacures plant built locally to supply the assembly plant......so much more than robots in play here....

Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
It's got nothing to do with robots. Without debating the BMWification of the car, if I'm buying a British car, I would prefer it's made in the UK.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by aafflyer
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=">YouTube Link</a> It's got nothing to do with robots. Without debating the BMWification of the car, if I'm buying a British car, I would prefer it's made in the UK.
I certainly don't consider the MINI to be a British car, despite the marketing hype, especially not since the F56. It not only is a thoroughly German car, more than ever, it is now a true BMW. If you have the car, you've seen the printed materials, labels, parts, the fuse box sheet, and even the VIN decoder sheet, let alone the VIN itself. It's literally got BMW written all over it, everywhere you look. It's like they're not even trying to pretend it's separate from BMW anymore since the F56. The 2er Active Tourer and the F56 share platforms, engines, cabin parts, etc. like it or not, the site of assembly is just a curious detail, but this car is so NOT "British".

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
I certainly don't consider the MINI to be a British car, despite the marketing hype, especially not since the F56. It not only is a thoroughly German car, more than ever, it is now a true BMW. If you have the car, you've seen the printed materials, labels, parts, the fuse box sheet, and even the VIN decoder sheet, let alone the VIN itself. It's literally got BMW written all over it, everywhere you look. It's like they're not even trying to pretend it's separate from BMW anymore since the F56. The 2er Active Tourer and the F56 share platforms, engines, cabin parts, etc. like it or not, the site of assembly is just a curious detail, but this car is so NOT "British".
Lol....MINI is British....period.....BMW has tried....but just like the question...
Is a Mexican made VW German or a american made BMW German?
While this has been debated for YEARS....yes...it has been a debate since BEFORE 2002, I'll pose a question....
If an Irish american had great grandparents from Ireland, but has never been to Ireland, but was born in the us, are they Irish? A mini is much the same in some cases, but the DNA and design and philosophy going forward is British.....less so than before...but more so than other cars.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
ZPayne
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Lol....MINI is British....period.....BMW has tried....but just like the question...
Is a Mexican made VW German or a american made BMW German?
While this has been debated for YEARS....yes...it has been a debate since BEFORE 2002, I'll pose a question....
If an Irish american had great grandparents from Ireland, but has never been to Ireland, but was born in the us, are they Irish? A mini is much the same in some cases, but the DNA and design and philosophy going forward is British.....less so than before...but more so than other cars.
Yes, a VW built in Mexico is still a German car. The car was designed in Germany by Germans. The MINI is built in the UK but was designed in Germany by Germans and uses parts from a German company. The design is a German imitation of a British design. I'd say that makes it pretty German.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 AM
westemp
Neutral
"British Racing Green"

The only thing British on my new F56 is the colour......BRG.....LOL