F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Piano Black vs Black Checkered Dash??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Mosco
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piano Black vs Black Checkered Dash??

Hi All,

Well.... I think I'm down to my last decision on how I want to spec my MCS, but hoping for a bit of input. I'm between the base "Black Checkered" or the "Piano Black" option for my dash. While I like the looks of both, I'm leaning towards PB.

My one concern is whether or not PB is brutal for fingerprints/smudges. I'm sure the checkered would hide them a bit more, but I want to make sure I won't have to wipe down my dash every time someone touches it. Thoughts/input welcome!

Mark

Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had PB in my R56. Didn't have many folks touching it so I can't say about fingerprints but it did show dust rather well.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM
JS24
2nd Gear
Yes, the piano black picks up finger prints and dust very easily. Not much different than a black exterior, needs extra care to look good.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM
two250
4th Gear
I have Piano Black and I don't have any issues with it getting dirty. I open and close the "secret compartment" quite often too. It does get fingerprints but you have to really look at it to see them. I would get PB over checkered as I think it looks so much cleaner and classier.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mosco
Hi All,

Well.... I think I'm down to my last decision on how I want to spec my MCS, but hoping for a bit of input. I'm between the base "Black Checkered" or the "Piano Black" option for my dash. While I like the looks of both, I'm leaning towards PB.

My one concern is whether or not PB is brutal for fingerprints/smudges. I'm sure the checkered would hide them a bit more, but I want to make sure I won't have to wipe down my dash every time someone touches it. Thoughts/input welcome!

Mark

Mark,

I much prefer this look for sure see pictures below.

We had the (Piano Gloss Black) in the 2011 MCS and honestly it stayed dirty looking with dust etc.
(Very difficult to keep clean)

Name:  2014BlazingRedMetallicMCSPics1_zpsd588c7b9.png
Views: 866
Size:  1.64 MB

Name:  2014BlazingRedMetallicMCSPics2_zps2c2a13da.png
Views: 848
Size:  1.68 MB

Terry

Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
I canged my order from piano black to the checkered because I didn't like how the piano collected dust.

Side note: the ONLY way US cars can get mood lights (tubes of led light) in the door trim is to get a MINI yours interior pack. If I would have known this earlier, I would have gone with off white.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Mark,

I much prefer this look for sure see pictures below

Terry
Terry,

You say in your sig line this is a leather interior - what color is this?

Thanks,
Paul_F

Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by David Cottrell
I canged my order from piano black to the checkered because I didn't like how the piano collected dust.

Side note: the ONLY way US cars can get mood lights (tubes of led light) in the door trim is to get a MINI yours interior pack. If I would have known this earlier, I would have gone with off white.
Seriously, what the hell Mini?? Its one thing after another when it comes to finding this crap out! Either my MA seriously failed or Mini needs to get their act together when it comes to marketing their products. When it comes to getting a full complement of toggle switches, misleading info on whats included in an package option (see JCW package), the Mini safety camera, and now interior lighting... you have to dig to find any of this stuff out!!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
I also contacted my service department after discovering the part numbers for the door lights and mounts (found on the OEM site). They said it will be possible to retrofit but are unable to order the parts as of yet due to high volume car orders. Once these are available I will be retrofitting them to my checkered dash and posting pricing and step by step guide.

-Squeeks

Old 05-07-2014, 10:35 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
I also contacted my service department after discovering the part numbers for the door lights and mounts (found on the OEM site). They said it will be possible to retrofit but are unable to order the parts as of yet due to high volume car orders. Once these are available I will be retrofitting them to my checkered dash and posting pricing and step by step guide.

-Squeeks
I suppose thats a better route than choosing interior colors I am not particularly fond of just for additional accent lighting. Hopefully the retrofit is plug and play.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Wow I did not know that about the door lights. I like those in mine even if there's a bit of strobing I can see if I turn my head rapidly. I'm just a bit sensitive to see that. Cadillac tail lights do the same for me. My eyes have a fast refresh rate. :-)

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
I canged my order from piano black to the checkered because I didn't like how the piano collected dust. Side note: the ONLY way US cars can get mood lights (tubes of led light) in the door trim is to get a MINI yours interior pack. If I would have known this earlier, I would have gone with off white.
I was told by the Sales Manager that those come factory with the "S" is that not correct? If not I'm gonna be pissed!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
I was pretty upset with the lack of knowledge from the dealers.
I told my salesman flat out that I wanted the FULL JCW interior pack, the door mood lighting, and HK sound included in my build. I was assured that they would figure out how to get it multiple times. Eventually they ordered my car.... I asked about the options and I was told "we don't know how to get those options"
This coupled with the fact that they missed options on my order that were available has left a fair sour taste in my mouth about the whole situation.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by VYPUR
I was told by the Sales Manager that those come factory with the "S" is that not correct? If not I'm gonna be pissed!
I have yet to see ANY S or Justa without mini yours and with the enhanced lights. Test drove an S without them.....

Edit: I found this detail out by looking at tons of in stock f56s on dealership websites. Process of elimination has resulted in my findings.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Well I called 2 different dealerships and not one salesperson knew what was going on. This is a crock!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:39 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Well I called 2 different dealerships and not one salesperson knew what was going on. This is a crock!
I have learned to believe the enthusiasts and take everything the salesman says with a grain of salt. They told me many things that weren't true like...

A. The smokers package is how to get the cigarette lighter in the trunk...False

B. the rear moonroof tilts...False

C. The S has 204 BHP.........nope

D. Truffle seats are Black leather..... Nope

And told to members of this forum...

-The car doesn't come with 16" rims

- enhanced lighting comes with the S

The list goes on and on. I may put a "Buyers guide" up on the forums with all of this misinformation going around.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Terry,

You say in your sig line this is a leather interior - what color is this?

Thanks,
Paul_F
Hi Paul,

Name:  2014BlazingRedMCSorderFeb212014page1resizedNoWholesale_zps4380f1bf.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  112.5 KB ... Name:  FinalOrderSheets2014MCSBlazingRedFeb222014RetailOnly_zps1b696d0a.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  2014MCSBuildSheetforBlazingRedFeb2120141_zps9378ba23.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  53.9 KB

Terry

Old 05-07-2014, 12:21 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
I have a S with the mood lighting and did not get the "Mini yours" package for the interior. Only edits on my interior is the Piano Black dash and Anthracite Headliner. Looking at the "sticker" for my car, "Interior LED mood lighting" is listed as a Standard feature. See below.

Attached Thumbnails Piano Black vs Black Checkered Dash??-standard-features.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMayhem
I have a S with the mood lighting and did not get the "Mini yours" package for the interior. Only edits on my interior is the Piano Black dash and Anthracite Headliner. Looking at the "sticker" for my car, "Interior LED mood lighting" is listed as a Standard feature. See below.
Well that makes me feel a little better (fingers crossed) thanks Motor!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Is the mood lighting you mentioned the enhanced mood lighting? A.k.a the light bars on the doors?see image.

Attached Thumbnails Piano Black vs Black Checkered Dash??-image-4008933634.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Here's a higher res of the enhanced lighting "tubes".

Attached Thumbnails Piano Black vs Black Checkered Dash??-image-1381162210.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Eric (Plug Guy)
4th Gear
Terry....that is one bitchin' Cooper! Wow!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Here we go again!

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Paul,

Terry
Terry. Thanks! That's what I ordered for leather seats. Your photos make them look much more grey than black. Is that a fair description or is it the lighting making them look lighter?

This will be the second color issue I'm confronting if that's true. When someone says "Carbon Black" to me I think deep, dark, black! Not a dark charcoal grey. The car was ordered in White Silver going on the assumption that since the Pepper White was more white but with the darker pepper toning down the white, that the White Silver was a silver with white highlights, only to find out its much more of the white with silvery highlights. Still can't wait to pick it up, but the surprise seem to continue unabated here for everyone.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 PM
MotorMayhem
3rd Gear
Is the mood lighting you mentioned the enhanced mood lighting? A.k.a the light bars on the doors?see image.
To be honest I am not sure David.

There is certainly mood lighting on my doors. There are lights inside the door handle itself so where you would put your hand to pull glows and there are lights on the interior edge of the arm rest on the door so light glows (centrally) from there.

I am not able to tell if in the pic you posted if there is another light source that I don't have or if the light is simply reflecting more since the off white color makes it appear brighter. My interior is black everywhere so admittedly my mood lighting only really pops at night. During the day a lot of the light is lost against the all black surfaces.

When I look at the description for the Mini Yours option on the configurator; I do not see any reference there to extra lights. If it does add "extra" lights I certainly would have considered this option more.

EDIT: now seeing the higher res pic, there certainly looks like there is one extra light source there that I do not have.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
To be honest I am not sure David. There is certainly mood lighting on my doors. There are lights inside the door handle itself so where you would put your hand to pull glows and there are lights on the interior edge of the arm rest on the door so light glows (centrally) from there. I am not able to tell if in the pic you posted if there is another light source that I don't have or if the light is simply reflecting more since the off white color makes it appear brighter. My interior is black everywhere so admittedly my mood lighting only really pops at night. During the day a lot of the light is lost against the all black surfaces. When I look at the description for the Mini Yours option on the configurator; I do not see any reference there to extra lights. If it does add "extra" lights I certainly would have considered this option more. EDIT: now seeing the higher res pic, there certainly looks like there is one extra light source there that I do not have.
Right. They are pretty noticeable "tube" like lights. And on black interior would stand out because they look white when they are off.
I noticed they weren't listed for mini yours as well but after looking at many cars, it seems that every car with them has this package :( it's too bad, you gave me a shred of hope :P

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Piano Black vs Black Checkered Dash??