F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone on the recall list (oil filter housing gasket) had new gasket installed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone on the recall list (oil filter housing gasket) had new gasket installed?

I know that MINI has sent a supply of oil filter housing gaskets to the U.S. for those MINIs on the list with defective gaskets. Expected arrival should be this week the last I heard. Does anyone know if their dealers have received the part?

I know the number of MINIs affected is small in number (mine is one of them). Once the part is received, these affected MINIs can be released to their owners. I was hoping for a Saturday pickup, but it doesn't look likely as I haven't been notified that the part is in.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:54 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I am not aware of the parts needed having being received yet. In contrast to the R model, it's a 3hr job, access from under the engine compartment. Seems the power plants in these are inserted via under the frame like many BMW's.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob

I know the number of MINIs affected is small in number (mine is one of them).

I didn't think the MCS was involved.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:55 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Yes, it is. Both models.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Yes, it is. Both models.
Surprising that motoringfile hasn't done another update. Aren't they usually very good as an unofficial source for MINI info.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I am not aware of the parts needed having being received yet. In contrast to the R model, it's a 3hr job, access from under the engine compartment. Seems the power plants in these are inserted via under the frame like many BMW's.
Wait a minute!!! The oil filter gasket takes 3 hours to replace? Is this gasket replaced with each oil/filter change - or is this a non-spin on filter power plant and this is a gasket for the housing? My old 318ic had a housing for the filter but it was right up top off the drivers side.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
No, no, no. It is not a gasket replaced with each oil/filter change. It is for the housing.

I got an update today from my MA (New Country MINI in Hartford). The part is expect over the next couple of days, so Saturday delivery is pretty much a no-go. We're back to shooting for Tuesday, the 15th. They're staying right on top of this issue as best they can. It's a bummer it's holding up delivery but the upside is that they (New Country) are proving themselves to be an outstanding dealership. As is Michael Fisher, my MA. Awesome guy! So my excited anticipation to FINALLY being able to take my precious MINI S home will have to hang in there until next week.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
No, no, no. It is not a gasket replaced with each oil/filter change. It is for the housing.

I got an update today from my MA (New Country MINI in Hartford). The part is expect over the next couple of days, so Saturday delivery is pretty much a no-go. We're back to shooting for Tuesday, the 15th.
I wonder if the MINIs that are on the water right now also have the problem. When did they catch it in production?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I believe they should be okay, but that's not gospel. It would be close, depending on the dates of production. Any MINI's that are affected (by VIN) are either fixed at the distribution point (from what I heard) or at the destination dealer. In my case it is being fixed at my dealership because the issue was reported after it was delivered to them. There was a post in another thread stating that MINIs affected that are en-route across the pond would be fixed at the distribution point. I don't have an exact date but I think the factory corrected the gasket around the last week of March. I am not certain, though. Your MA should have more specific info.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by torpeau
I wonder if the MINIs that are on the water right now also have the problem. When did they catch it in production?
All MINIs en route will have their oil filter housings inspected/updated/repaired at the port where they arrive. All ports are being stocked with the updated part so as not to further delay those vehicles getting to the dealers.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Thanks for that updated info.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh, this is not encouraging.

I've changed no less than *7* oil filter housing gaskets on various BMWs over the years. Why can't they get this part right?

P.S. It's every bit of a 3 hour job on an E36/E46 BMW.

Here's a pic on my 330ci:

BMW wanted $700 to do this job just FYI.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gtmotor
Ugh, this is not encouraging.

I've changed no less than *7* oil filter housing gaskets on various BMWs over the years. Why can't they get this part right?

P.S. It's every bit of a 3 hour job on an E36/E46 BMW.

Here's a pic on my 330ci:

BMW wanted $700 to do this job just FYI.
How many of those 7 gasket replacements were done under warranty? I'm thinking BMW did a cost-benefit analysis on failure rates over time and decided to let the customer pay for it.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:21 PM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by russmini
How many of those 7 gasket replacements were done under warranty? I'm thinking BMW did a cost-benefit analysis on failure rates over time and decided to let the customer pay for it.
Not sure, most of these cars probably had them done multiple times before. If you're familiar with BMWs they had issues mostly between 1992-2005 with the OFHG (oil filter housing gasket). Newer ones (E90) are starting to show signs of having problems also...

I mostly just got to be known as the guy to take your BMW to in my local car club. I have a lift in my home garage and am ASE certified so people tend to bring their cars over here.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:36 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Parts for the fix are purportedly stateside to be shipped to MINI dealers based upon VIN of the cars delivered to them so far. It will be an automatic delivery of these parts much like the Aux water pumps for the R56s, but more carefully regulated.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:56 AM
bassles
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Parts for the fix are purportedly stateside to be shipped to MINI dealers based upon VIN of the cars delivered to them so far. It will be an automatic delivery of these parts much like the Aux water pumps for the R56s, but more carefully regulated.

My 2014 hartop has been sitting at the dealer now for two weeks. Got to drive it for two days. They called Tue. 4/8/14 said the had the gasket.

Don't forget they changed the bolt pattern on the wheels from 4 to 5.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Bassles, so your dealer had the gasket on 4/8/14. Hmmm. My car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks and 4 days. About the same as yours. I surely hope that my dealer will get mine by today. That's 3 days minimum after your dealer received it. I know the supply is low and the assignment is prioritized by VIN. Mine "should" be high priority, but until I am notified by the dealer (certainly by Monday at latest) that the part is in I am still concerned mine might remain sitting at the dealer with me (im)patiently waiting to pick it up. I'll be talking to the MA tomorrow at their Launch Event so maybe I'll hear more at that time. Or maybe I'll find out today that the gasket is in.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:00 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with MINI trying to get more info on the gasket allocation to dealers. We've been stuck with having one car and when my wife is out of town (like today) I'm held prisoner here at the house. LOL. So for me, this has been really hard because my MINI has been at my dealership since March 24. I've had to make changes almost daily to my schedule due to not having transportation available.

Well, I better understand now the "prioritizing" of the gaskets to affected MINIs. The highest priority goes to those MINIs which have been delivered, which makes sense. (So much for the April 15 Launch Event hold!) The next priority are the affected MINIs at the port of delivery. Third priority is for MINIs delivered to dealers but not delivered to customers. I am obviously in the third priority group since my MINI has not been delivered to me. In my case the timing of events worked against me. I couldn't take delivery on 3/24 because of the original publicized April 15 Launch Event national hold. Then came, almost at the same time, the announcements that cars could be released to customers and the oil filter housing gasket issue. Bam! In one day my MINI went from "okay to deliver" to "on hold for a gasket replacement". Bad timing for me unfortunately.

I also was told that MINI's goal is for all affected cars to be fixed by April 18, next Friday. So to avoid further disappointment I'm expecting an April 18th delivery. Anything earlier will be a plus.

For those affected, I hope this new information helps to clarify how the gasket allocation is being handled.

Last edited by CobraBob; 04-11-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Well, I better understand now the "prioritizing" of the gaskets to affected MINIs. The highest priority goes to those MINIs which have been delivered, which makes sense. (So much for the April 15 Launch Event hold!) The next priority are the affected MINIs at the port of delivery. Third priority is for MINIs delivered to dealers but not delivered to customers. I am obviously in the third priority group since my MINI has not been delivered to me.
I'll bet a little persistence/insistence will move your MINI up the list. Hard to do that if it's sitting at the port. Parts are probably arriving at about the same time at dealers and ports.

Mine has an ETA at the Brunswick, Ga. port of 4/20. I hope they caught the problem in production, so I can skip the delay.

BTW, where do you go to track the ship?

Last edited by torpeau; 04-11-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
CobraBob, it's been interesting following your trials and tribulations.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Motomama
1st Gear
Gaskets are one issue. Housings are another. My dealership in Ga will get the needed gaskets on Monday, but won't get accompanied housing unit until possibly Wednesday. Dealer can see when they are coming, only wait to see what comes on the fedex truck. My f56 has been at the dealer since March. Impatiently waiting. Also make sure you receive $250 pain in *** credit from MiNi. Issued from corporate.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Motomama
Gaskets are one issue. Housings are another. My dealership in Ga will get the needed gaskets on Monday, but won't get accompanied housing unit until possibly Wednesday. Dealer can see when they are coming, only wait to see what comes on the fedex truck. My f56 has been at the dealer since March. Impatiently waiting. Also make sure you receive $250 pain in *** credit from MiNi. Issued from corporate.
Are they just replacing the gaskets or the housing unit as well?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Motomama
1st Gear
Gasket and housing unit replaced. Just received call. Parts in and working on my mini. Should take delivery tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Motomama
. Also make sure you receive $250 pain in *** credit from MiNi. Issued from corporate.
Bulletin?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Motomama
1st Gear
Yes. Issued bulletin.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Anyone on the recall list (oil filter housing gasket) had new gasket installed?