F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Driver Assist Pack?

Old 04-04-2014, 01:00 PM
humercedes
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Assist Pack?

I am looking to order a US F56 and one of the packages I am interested in is the Driver Assist Pack. It is not showing up on the US ordering guide, AOL autos (which has a great build you own function), or the horrible Mini US configurator (which has bugs ie you can not order 18" rims with the park assist package..)

It is on the UK configurator, and the package includes:

• Automatic High Beams
• Adaptive Cruise Control (camera based)
• Forward Collision Warning & Mitigation (with pedestrian detection)
• Traffic Sign Recognition

That is the only option I noticed beside the heated windshield that is not on the US ordering guide. And of course the options/packs change slightly between countries, (ie chillie pack) but the selection is seemingly the same.

My question is, is the Driver assist pack going to not be available until the 15' US model year? I want to get that and will wait if need be.

This is the car I am looking to order:

Mini 1.5 Hardtop Manual (Volcanic Orange)

Driver Assist Package

• Automatic High Beams
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• Forward Collision Warning & Mitigation
• Traffic Sign Recognition

Sport Package
• 18” Cone Rims
• Sport Seats
• Led Headlights & White Signals

Park Assistant Package
• Parking Sensors
• Parking Assistant

Wired Package
• Connected XL With Nav
• Center Armrest

Wired Upgrade Package
• Head Up Display
• Rear View Camera

Dynamic Damper Control
Heated Seats
Leather/Cloth sat gray
Cottonwood Trim with sat gray trim
Rain Sensor & Auto Lights

Old 04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
ct21
2nd Gear
I remember reading about that package on MotoringFile, but haven't seen it on the configurator. Have you asked your MA? They usually will have knowledge about when certain features will become available.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:51 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Everything you list on the drier assist pack comes on US MINIs as an option, but I'm not sure about the "traffic sign" detection. If that means speed limit notification, etc., I would guess that is Europe-specific.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in here...

Old 04-04-2014, 03:00 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with your MA at your dealership. I do not believe a Driver Assist Package is available on the 2014 F-56 MINI. It was announced a few months ago in a press release, which indicated this would come in FUTURE MINIs. Likely 2015 at the earliest. Here is that press release.

The new MINI driver assist systems.

Intelligent networking between the MINI, the driver and the outside world create new ways to enhance driving pleasure, extend the range of comfort functions and provide the latest services in the area of in-car infotainment. Since its launch, MINI Connected has been marketing leading in the area of in-car technology, pioneering access to apps and services to both assist and entertain driver and passengers.

In future models MINI will roll out a number of innovative driver assist systems that also use intelligent networking for the exchange of information between driver and vehicle. The new functions transform the MINI more than ever into its driver's assistant and offer innovative comfort and safety technology.

When it comes to the development and configuration of new driver assist systems, MINI exploits the BMW Groups' worldwide leadership in innovation in this area. Networking technology has been used for the targeted exchange of information between driver, vehicle and the outside world for more than 40 years. Innovations like the radar-based distance warning device (1972), the world's first on-board computer with exterior temperature display (1980), the first navigation system fully integrated in the vehicle from a European manufacturer (1994) and first Emergency Call system, still unique to this day, first introduced in 1997, are among the milestones set by the company in this area. As early as 2007, interface technology for integrating the Apple iPhone in the MINI operating system was introduced. Since 2011, additional online-based functions can be integrated in the MINI Connected package with the help of apps.

The MINI head-up display helps the driver concentrate on what is happening on the road by displaying relevant information right in the driver's line of vision. This can be seen quickly and conveniently without having to take your eyes off the road. The collision warning and pedestrian warning systems, including city braking function make it easier to avoid dangerous situations, particularly in city traffic. The MINI parking assist feature offers maximum comfort in searching for and using parking spaces, while the reversing camera gives drivers a better view when manoeuvring.

Other innovations in the driver assist systems for MINI include the video-based speed and distance control which automatically keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front, and the speed limit information system, which detects and displays speed limits as they apply to the current section of road. This system is supplemented by the no passing display and traffic sign memory functions. The digital headlight assist function contributes to optimum visual conditions when driving at night. This system helps the driver use the full range of headlight functions. Oncoming traffic and preceding vehicles are registered by a camera, while automatic switching to dimmed headlights avoids causing a nuisance for other drivers.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:39 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
I am confident that at least all but the features listed in the last paragraph above are included in the 2014 US MINIs. Also included is the auto-brake system, according to miniusa.com. The only thing I would like someone to clarify is whether the cruise control braking system is a safety-brake only, or does it have full radar cruise style capabilities?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
In the second to last paragraph it mentions "collision warning and pedestrian warning systems, including city (auto) braking function make it easier to avoid dangerous situations in city traffic". To my knowledge, these functions are not found on the 2014 MINI. The heads-up display is purely informational this year (speed, directions, etc.). The forth coming Driving Assistant uses a camera-based active cruise control, as well as a collision and pedestrian warning with initial (auto) brake function, high beam assistant and road sign detection, parking assistant, and a rear view camera. It is possible this package is available in Europe and Great Britain. But I'm pretty sure it won't be here until at least the 2015 MY. I'd love to be wrong because that is one loaded safety package. One that likely a high percentage of MINI customers will order or highly consider.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 AM
Ninja636
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
In the second to last paragraph it mentions "collision warning and pedestrian warning systems, including city (auto) braking function make it easier to avoid dangerous situations in city traffic". To my knowledge, these functions are not found on the 2014 MINI. The heads-up display is purely informational this year (speed, directions, etc.). The forth coming Driving Assistant uses a camera-based active cruise control, as well as a collision and pedestrian warning with initial (auto) brake function, high beam assistant and road sign detection, parking assistant, and a rear view camera. It is possible this package is available in Europe and Great Britain. But I'm pretty sure it won't be here until at least the 2015 MY. I'd love to be wrong because that is one loaded safety package. One that likely a high percentage of MINI customers will order or highly consider.
We have the driver pack including all of the safety kit, active cruise, traffic sign recognition and auto high beam lights on our car. I didn't realise this wasn't available n the USA.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
Thanks for the info guys. Based on the ordering guide and some additional info I can conclude that the driver assist pack is not available until the US 2015 MY. All five of the features in the package use the camera mounted behind the rearview mirror. Here are some photos:

Old 04-05-2014, 06:50 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
Camera:
netcarshow.com/mini/2015-cooper_s/800x600/wallpaper_e1.htm

Collision Mitigation:
netcarshow.com/mini/2015-cooper_s/800x600/wallpaper_ef.htm

Pedestrian Detection:
netcarshow.com/mini/2015-cooper_s/800x600/wallpaper_ee.htm

Auto High Beams:
netcarshow.com/mini/2015-cooper_s/800x600/wallpaper_b1.htm

Adaptive Cruise:
netcarshow.com/mini/2015-cooper_s/800x600/wallpaper_b2.htm

Road Sign Recognition:
netcarshow.com/mini/2015-cooper_s/800x600/wallpaper_aa.htm

All of these features are the identical ones found in the new US BMW 3,4,5,6,7,X3,X4,X5 models.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 AM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
CobraBob, when I visited the MINI USA site a few weeks ago and looked at all the pages on the new Mini tech, it seemed to say the 2014 F56 included (as options) all those things you say are not included. Perhaps I misunderstood? However, I think the traffic sign detection feature is Europe-only...

Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I'm meeting with my MA at 12:30 today for other business. I'll ask him to check and report back. It would be neat if it WAS available, even though I chose not to go with the backup camera or heads-up display.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I met with my MA this afternoon. He confirmed that the Driver Assist Package is not available with the '14 Hardtop (in the U.S.). Nor any of the single components within the Package. It is only available in Europe and GB right now. Should be a great option for the '15 MINI assuming it gets approved for the next model year. Wonder what the price is going to be.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Wow, that's too bad. MINI should take the info off the US site, then.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:57 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
See what I mean? Improper advertising if the feature is not even available in the US!

Attached Thumbnails Driver Assist Pack?-image.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I met with my MA this afternoon. He confirmed that the Driver Assist Package is not available with the '14 Hardtop (in the U.S.). Nor any of the single components within the Package. It is only available in Europe and GB right now. Should be a great option for the '15 MINI assuming it gets approved for the next model year. Wonder what the price is going to be.
Kind of off-putting to find out that the just-released model that is just arriving on our shores is missing features others are getting now and will be available to us on next year's version.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Well, if it is true, and it appears to be based on what my MA told me, it is possible that there are features that have been approved for the Euro version that have not yet been approved for use in the U.S. That is not uncommon. Regs and requirements here are different that in Europe or Great Britain.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
1) I tried to post some links but it wouldn't let me. Is there a reason?

2) I believe all those features will make it to the us. The traffic sign recognition is the same on the us bmw models so there is no reason it wouldn't be approved or offered here. The driver assist package is relatively cheap in the UK: 700-800£. Probably around 1250$.

3) In 2002 when BMW originally brought the cooper over I remember at least one option that was not available on the us models was the HK sound system. Then in 03 it was available. Chances are BMW either doesn't have enough parts for both the us and EU or they are just delaying the launch in the us of the driver assist pack so that people will have incentive to get a 2015.

Looks like I'm waiting until the 15' model year. I want the driver assist package. One thing I'm curious about is whether or not I will need to order the auto dim mirror with the package like BMW makes you do when you order auto high beams in the us.

Last edited by humercedes; 04-06-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:34 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
See what I mean? Improper advertising if the feature is not even available in the US!
Dynamic cruise control is not the adaptive cruise control. Its just BMWs ways of making standard cruise control sound better. So this is not improper advertising..

Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
Here is the camera and the collision mitigation with pedestrian detection

Attached Thumbnails Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_e1.jpg   Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_ee.jpg   Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_ef.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
Here is the adaptive cruise control (range adjustment on the left of the steering wheel), auto high beams(A button under the OBC button), and road sign recognition (which shows up on the speedo OBC and/or the HUD)

Attached Thumbnails Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_b3.jpg   Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_b1.jpg   Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_aa.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 04:56 AM
humercedes
1st Gear
When the adaptive suspension is ordered, how do you control it? I do not see any switches so is it controlled exclusively through the screen?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
I really like that package. Wish it was available in the '14, but it's not a deal breaker.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
The collision mitigation and pedestrian detection is discussed on miniusa.com. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's discussed as a currently-available option...

humercedes, thanks for the clarification on the adaptive cruise control. If US cars don't get it, what is the purpose of the indicator on the speedo that shows a car in a lane?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:56 PM
humercedes
1st Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
The collision mitigation and pedestrian detection is discussed on miniusa.com. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's discussed as a currently-available option...

humercedes, thanks for the clarification on the adaptive cruise control. If US cars don't get it, what is the purpose of the indicator on the speedo that shows a car in a lane?

Just like any BMW which has the same gauge cluster from EU to US (minus the MPH versus KPH) the indicator lights are all there to save money even if they are inoperative. In this case all Minis have that indicator which shows the distance between the vehicle when the ACC is set.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:59 PM
humercedes
1st Gear
This is the image of it on the OBC and the indicator on the speedo. It is on the speedo as well so that in the event the OBC is displaying something else you can still see it.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Assist Pack?-mini-cooper_s_2015_800x600_wallpaper_9f.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Driver Assist Pack?