F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 The New Key Fob for the F56

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
I'm really hoping someone develops a new housing for it that is significantly smaller. It is flat out absurd how big it is.
Seriously. I'd pay good money for a svelte metal or plastic case which can replace the large hockey puck style circular thing. I know there are NFC chips in some JCW fobs which might justify their size (though I doubt it), but the size is absurd.

I was at a store once, and while checking out, placed my keyfob on the tray next to the register and the clerk commented... "That's so big for a MINI"

Absurd.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by champ198
Yep, the key fob is huge. It's like practical joke huge. Wait until you carry that monster around in your slacks all day. It feels looks like you're carrying a walnut in your pocket. I take the fob out of my pocket when driving 1.) because it's uncomfortable in my pocket and 2.) because you have to fish it out of your jeans pocket when you get out to lock the car since you can't lock the car without it. I lay it in the rounded storage in front of the shifter when driving where it slides around making scraping noises. I may get a lanyard and just carry it around my neck like Flavor Flav.

In other words, why would BMW make such an impractical, non-ergonomic, goofy sized key fob for a MINI. MINI=small!!

Exactly this. The FOBs for the i3 and i8 are huge, but they actually have display / readouts for car status, but I completely agree. I wonder if some of the vendors here aren't reading this thread... I bet they'll make a pretty penny producing plastic bits to replace the huge fobs we're all complaining out.

Come on you guys and gals, get on it!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
They're BIG so you can adorn them with the Mini accessory attachments.
They're big so you pull them out and advertise MINI !
I have an MB Sprinter, that is BIG, the fob however is small and ergonomic.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:55 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had to relocate my wallet to my phone pocket. My normal pocket can no longer handle my wallet plus keys. It's a sad day.

I would pay extremely good money for a minimalist CNCed aluminum housing. Like $100+

Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Heifzilla
2nd Gear
I just hope someone comes out with more of the colored rings to accent it. I don't like the ones out there now, I want something HOT PINK!

Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of first world problems to me..............most vehicle keys today are huge.......meh.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Heifzilla
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tuco44
Sounds like a bunch of first world problems to me..............most vehicle keys today are huge.......meh.
You're always so cheery!

The mini fob is the biggest one that I've had to date, though. And it's really an awkward shape, IMO. But I have comfort access so it's always in my purse anyway.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM
yardstick57
2nd Gear
I just got a 2014 MCS and there isn't any way to charge the key fob....no slot to plug it into and no key slot either. Don't know what would happen if the battery dies. I just might remove my battery and test what happens.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Looks to me like the F56 fob is the same as all the other Mini fobs, with different button locations and the same physical key in case you battery dies (gets wet). The one thing I miss on my 2007 Mini is Comfort Access. I don't like putting the key in the slot and taking it out all the time.

Attached Thumbnails The New Key Fob for the F56-key.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM
MasterYoda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yardstick57
I just got a 2014 MCS and there isn't any way to charge the key fob....no slot to plug it into and no key slot either. Don't know what would happen if the battery dies. I just might remove my battery and test what happens.
This is what you do.
The New Key Fob for the F56-0zmknf4.png

Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
helipadforme
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a loaner 2014 Paceman a few weeks ago and was very jealous of its key. I agree that the new 2014 hardtop key is ridiculously large. I would also pay a decent amount for either a new key all together or a very small housing for the existing one. As it is, I always pawn off my key to anyone I'm with who has a bag since the key doesn't fit comfortably in my pockets.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
So the marked area on the right side of the steering column is the equivalent of the "fob slot" on the R56. Just get the chip close to it and you can start it without a battery.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:44 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
I wonder if there is anything behind the circular section of the key or if it's just for aesthetics? I haven't found a decent breakdown of how the key is built.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:57 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I wonder if there is anything behind the circular section of the key or if it's just for aesthetics? I haven't found a decent breakdown of how the key is built.
I hate the current key. I don't even like the buttons. The First-Gen MINI had a raised central lock button. This one is just so cheap all around. Not only that, it's huge. If it could've been made slimmer, which obviously it could've been, then I hope they put out a different version one day.

It might be alright for those carry purses, but not for guys. It's so damned bulky!

Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 PM
gwman
2nd Gear
Yeah, really, I can't even tell the front of the remote from the back in my pocket. So, I have to dig it out, then push the button, then find a place for it in the car since it digs into my leg in the sport seats, and I'm skinny!

My '06 key was way better!

Originally Posted by darex
I hate the current key. I don't even like the buttons. The First-Gen MINI had a raised central lock button. This one is just so cheap all around. Not only that, it's huge. If it could've been made slimmer, which obviously it could've been, then I hope they put out a different version one day.

It might be alright for those carry purses, but not for guys. It's so damned bulky!

Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
As far as I know, if you have the standard key fob that came with your car, the black round portion contains nothing in it. There are those JCW decorative ones which contain an NFC, but the black stock ones are merely for design.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 PM
kevinm
1st Gear
I'm okay with the F56 key. It's larger than the R56 key, but still fine. Since I have keyless entry, I rarely remove it from my pocket.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:20 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sal1k
As far as I know, if you have the standard key fob that came with your car, the black round portion contains nothing in it. There are those JCW decorative ones which contain an NFC, but the black stock ones are merely for design.

The battery is in the round part, and the shaft of the emergency "metal key".

Old 08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
The battery is in the round part, and the shaft of the emergency "metal key".
The battery isn't in the "round part", it is in the main part of the remote, where my metal key is pointing in the photo. The round part in the stock key is purely a piece of plastic, decoration only.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:29 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sal1k
The battery isn't in the "round part", it is in the main part of the remote, where my metal key is pointing in the photo. The round part in the stock key is purely a piece of plastic, decoration only.

You are correct, obviously. I did not take mine apart to check it out, but I can see the round part is just excess plastic.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mouh60
The dealer told me that the batteries are replaced with every oil change.
Simply not true.

The "key" has to be on your person or the car won't start.
Also not entirely correct. As long as the fob is inside the vehicle, the vehicle can be started.

If you don't lock your car and leave the immediate vicinity the car will lock itself.
This is false as well. However, if you unlock your MINI and then do not open a door - say, you forgot something in your house and walked away - the MINI will re-lock itself on its own within 30-60 seconds. If you are driving your MINI, park and then get out and walk away, it will remain unlocked until you come back and lock it.

The dealer programmed it this way at my request. Although I haven't tried, I believe that you can change this in the radio settings.
You can change these settings in the "GEAR" icon section of the menu screen on any version of the radio.

The new F56 key fob IS about 10% (or more) larger than the R5x/R6x key fob. It does seem silly and a bit of a nuisance/unnecessary.

And I don't mean to be picking on this post, but it is a HUGE pet peeve when dealers give out incorrect or misleading information and I am just trying to clarify and be helpful. Congrats on your new F56 and yes, they are AWESOME little buggers!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
You are correct, obviously. I did not take mine apart to check it out, but I can see the round part is just excess plastic.
Ooh! Can I just snap off the useless round part then? =-D

Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by darex
Ooh! Can I just snap off the useless round part then? =-D
Here's what I was thinking... (and I can't tell if you were being facetious or not)... I am going to use the key fob without the excess round bit, but cover the outside with some masking tape for a while just to protect the sliding grooves and what not... see how that works.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
No worries, I was curious as well, in case in the future when I need to change the battery

Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Yep, immediately removing the round part and not looking back.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 The New Key Fob for the F56