F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F56 find the rattles!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 AM
Ignoramist
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spmahoney78 View Post
I was hearing I slight thumping coming from the boot, dealer just informed me of service bulletin and they are special ordering new shocks.
I had that problem too but I think the hobo finally died. Now I have a weird smell...

Old 08-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 9k miles on my March build 2015 MCS. I have two noises that bother me. The first one is super intermittent. It sounds like a clicking noise coming from my rear driver side. I hear it when I'm stopped at traffic lights. It sounds to me like it could be the speaker. I sometimes hear some static from the floor sub, but I'm not sure if that's normal? This only occurs when the radio is off/muted.

The second is a rattle that comes from the passenger side door pillar. The cover of the door pillar (where the seatbelt comes out) becomes loose towards the back side. If I push on it it sounds like it clicks in, but eventually it becomes loose again and starts rattling. Anyone experience these?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:08 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes. Those plastic trim where the seatbelts come out of always pop off on the backside. I push them back on and feel them click into place.... But few days later they are loose again. Luckily, they don't rattle. It's just an annoyance.

You should have someone sit in the back and listen for the sound while driving. I have used a cut piece of hose to try to isolate the sound in my ear for locating it.

Originally Posted by Lucila View Post
I have 9k miles on my March build 2015 MCS. I have two noises that bother me. The first one is super intermittent. It sounds like a clicking noise coming from my rear driver side. I hear it when I'm stopped at traffic lights. It sounds to me like it could be the speaker. I sometimes hear some static from the floor sub, but I'm not sure if that's normal? This only occurs when the radio is off/muted.

The second is a rattle that comes from the passenger side door pillar. The cover of the door pillar (where the seatbelt comes out) becomes loose towards the back side. If I push on it it sounds like it clicks in, but eventually it becomes loose again and starts rattling. Anyone experience these?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:40 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Quick followup on my post...

Both moon-roofs in mine and my girlfriends F56 are being completely replaced because they were both making creaking/popping/cracking noises when going over bumps or turning into driveways. I thought maybe some grease and tightening of the screws would fix it... but MINI has decided to fully replace them.

The squeaking in lower console area was some type of metal bracket, which is also being completely replaced.

All parts are coming from overseas, so it's probably going to take 1-2 weeks.

Anyway... Both our old vehicles (1990's Ford Explorer and 90's Mercedes C280) have sunroofs that work perfectly and are dead silent. There's is no excuses for a sunroof in a car only a year old to be creaking and making bad noises. Hopefully MINI builds them better quality down the road.

Originally Posted by rmcintos View Post
2015 F56-S at 30k. Got a few notable noises.

- High pitched squeak in the front dash, down low inside the center section, seems behind the AC control area. Sounds like a little bird chirping away when on a bumpy road.

- Rattle in the boot or hatch. Nothing loose back there. Maybe inside the hatch door or in the roof area above the hatch.

- Moonroof makes a horrid creaking/cracking noise when going over a bump to turning the car into a driveway. It's almost like the whole car flexes and bends when you hit a bump. Both my girlfriend and I both have F56's and both our moonroofs make these creaking sounds.

Taking it into Mini next week for them to hopefully start the hunt. If anyone has any simple suggests or fixes, or have found the cause the similar sounds... please let me know here.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2/16 build F54 Clubman non S model with 700 miles on it. I will be taking it in for the second time in 5 days to fix the creaking passenger seat on Monday. The dealership loosened and re-tightened all of the bolts/screw in the seat the last time and that seemed to make a small difference for a few miles. The dealership so far is being great at taking care of us but I find it odd that they can't duplicate the noise unless I show them.....I only weigh 210. The issue can be felt/heard in the seat during acceleration and deceleration with various speeds. It is also there when you get in or out of the car. This was not present when we originally took delivery of the car and have only had it for less than a month. This leads me to believe that something was maybe not tightened correctly initially and is now maybe warped to the point of not being able to be corrected without replacement. If it continues I will push for replacement of the seat. What really sucks is that the wife and I are supposed to go on a 15 hour trip to Colorado at the first of October so their time is running out to fix before I leave. I will not go on a trip with this seat.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
So an update. Took the car in yesterday and even though they had the car all day, they couldn't "Duplicate" the problem. I left work early so I could get there before they closed and proceeded to show the service advisor, even though the tech had been shown previously, what was going on. He decided to have us go check out a new Clubman without the lumbar support and there was no sound from the seat. Then he pulled around another Clubman but this time with the lumbar support like in our car and it was making worse noise than ours. He messed around with the lumbar as I moved around in the seat and when the lumbar was maxed out the seat was at it's loudest. We then went into the showroom to try a seat with lumbar in the F55 mini and no noise. So today after contacting Mini on a possible issue with all Clubman with the sport seats and lumbar support he found out that they had not heard anything on this issue yet. After our testing of a few seats and every single sport seat with lumbar causing this noise i am sure they will be getting complaints soon. So they stripped my seat down to the frame. This revealed what very well may be a bad design flaw in the lumbar area. The lumbar mechanism is connected to the seat without anything in between the metal hooks it uses to connect to the rest of the seat. Basically it's just metal on metal moving parts. right now the dealership is trying to find grommets that will work to isolate the components from each other. I recommended trying to using nylon bushings since they would not breakdown like rubber ones will. I will find out more tomorrow hopefully.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:13 AM
shorenetworks
2nd Gear
Add me to the list sunroof started rattling this morning car only has 8800 miles on it will add to the growing list of issues with this car.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Hi guys,

My 3 months old mini is making a horrible noise too when entering sideways :( noise seems yo be the sunroof because if I open it just a bit the noise is gone :( oh man I hate this :(

Has anyone her gotten their sunroof replaced? If so any issues after that? Like more rattles due to all the dismantling of the interior to replace the sunroof?

Old 03-03-2017, 05:09 PM
rk15000
1st Gear
Has anyone had a creaking noise come from the steering column while turning?

I have 32K on my F56 S now and when I turn the wheel left or right, I hear a squeaky/creaking plastic noise like something inside the column shroud is rubbing.

Luckily it seems to be localized to the interior. It also happens more when the car is cold, probably because the plastic contracts due to the temperature and exacerbates the noise.

I'll be asking the dealer about it next time I bring it in for service. So annoying!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For anyone who's as crazy about little noises as I am, guess what! Built in September, leased by me Jan 28, a '17 Cooper S--with a noise originating from the piece that covers the seatbelt connection RIGHT NEXT TO MY LEFT EAR. That piece of trim was just put on like junk, because when I put my hand on it, it stops rattling--and I'm too afraid to take it to dealer and ask them to make it stop because I risk them putting it back on worse than the factory...

fml.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM
min-e-man
Neutral
Hey guys,

Traded in my '06 R53 for a '15 F56 a few months ago. I hear some creaks as I go in driveways from the sunroof sometimes, but not as bad as some people in this thread have made it seem. There is one noise that keeps coming up that I haven't been able to figure out. The sunroof shade might be it, but it seems lower than that. Sitting at idle there's a tap a tap a tap that's not squeaky or creaky. I listened outside the car and can't hear anything so it must be inside. Someone was in the back seat today and asked what that noise was today so then I knew it wasn't just me hearing things. I should do some more investigating, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. I also get high pitched squeaks from my rear breaks when I first set off after not being in the car for a day or so. They usually go away after a little bit of driving. I've noticed it's worse when its cold or the car has sat in the rain.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:42 AM
activehybrid
1st Gear
The head rest thing in the back for passengers are rattling, you need to have them vertical position or remove.

In addition, rattling is normal when you put to many standalone pieces.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
hp79
4th Gear
I'm having rattles coming out from the front dome speaker/vent area, and behind the ignition switch area. They might actually be the same source but I can't see anything and don't want to tear the front panels. Maybe I'll ask the dealer to do something.

I had tons of small rattles from the door speakers and door panel. Every time you squeeze the speaker cover on the door you could hear it creaking like crazy. I put little bit of silicone grease and it's gone.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 PM
emans
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hp79 View Post
Did you ever get this fixed? My 2015 F56 had rattles in the rear, I think it's from that spot you pointed. I just stuffed a used cloth inside there like a year ago and then didn't pay attention to it. I think that solved it, but it might be that I haven't driven enough lately and not noticing it.

Last time I drove my F56 was to replace the leaking rain sensor gel from the front mirror. I could hear rattles from the door speaker grille. I don't know why they make it so flimsy. It's only been couple days and my rain sensor gel pack is leaking again. I wiped it off this time with the cover taken off. I'll keep an eye on it and probably take it back if I see it more than 10cm of the gel leaking on the windshield.
Did you ever have any resolution to your problem? I'm having a vibrating noise from around that area on slightly rough roads.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by emans View Post
Did you ever have any resolution to your problem? I'm having a vibrating noise from around that area on slightly rough roads.
Just before my warranty expired, I took it to the dealer one last time, and they did some extensive rattle mitigation job here and there. But they couldn't fix all of it. I still have rattles.
I can see some cloth tape that were placed between places.

The speaker grill part is a really bad design, it creaks after a little bit, especially if you keep your car clean. The 2019 models have different speaker grill and the door trims are different so that they don't make those awful noise anymore.

I still get rattles coming from behind the center console. It was loose and that was also part of the treatment.