F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F56 find the rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
I would definitely push the dealership to replace your shocks. It makes a huge difference and if Mini Engineering ever decides on a real, permanent solution you'll still be able to get that if/when it appears.
Greg. I agree on the temperature. Hopefully the new cars are better than this....with it not happening at all!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 AM
jorafagoro
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
They replaced the lower control arm bushings on the right side to cure the clunky noise I was getting with the clutch and low speed bumps.
It seems to have done the trick. The tech called mini and they had seen this before and told him to replace them as he actually couldn't find anything.
Greg, this noise gone for good in your car after the intervention?

In my car I exchanged the support of the engine and continues to make noise.

Now they tell me to do a test on a car just like to see if it is a normal noise ...

Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jorafagoro
Greg, this noise gone for good in your car after the intervention?

In my car I exchanged the support of the engine and continues to make noise.

Now they tell me to do a test on a car just like to see if it is a normal noise ...
yes, this definitely fixed that issue.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:17 PM
Ih8driedfish
1st Gear
So replacing the lower control arm bushings and/or rear suspension fixed the knocking sound?

Only asking because my GF and I own 2 '15 MCS (one is a lease, other we own so I can mod!) and both have the same sound/issue only at low speeds on a bumpy surface. Its been a few months but heard the same sound in two loaner vehicles as well so I thought it was "normal". Will contact my SA.

Thanks for posing the useful info!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
For my fellow owners who have dealt with the rear suspension knock-
I've seen some improvement with the new set of rear shocks over the last few months. It doesn't bother me as much as it used to since everything in the interior seems to rattle.

anyways, I got a call from the dealership yesterday saying that there is a new design for the rear shocks. I don't know how it's different, but they said I could bring mine in and have the new parts fitted. I guess I'll have to get that scheduled, so I'll be sure to update this when it's done.

So if you have the "knock", now's the time to start bugging your dealership again!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Has anyone encountered the high-pitched squeaking from the front axle over broke pavement or cobblestones? There's a TSB out there but my dealership doesn't seem to be responsive to the the cause of the issue, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me details on a potential fix.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
It's beginning to chill down in the uk and I've noticed the rear rattle
October 2014 built SD with the variable dampers
Anyone with hard info on the uk recall,
I would like to nail this with one trip to the dealers if possible

Old 10-19-2015, 02:59 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Greg. It is interesting to me that you are having to prove to your dealer that something is wrong. BS in my opinion. My dealer took my word for it and did not take the car for a drive till week after they ordered the parts. This whole issue is well known. There were recalls in the UK.
Time to change shops imho.
Hello, what year and build month is your car. Is it the MCS or Base

I have a small know int he rear over mild bumps, but I was told it is to mild to replace anything, just need to break it in. I have about 1500 miles.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2015, 01:59 PM
UticaProf
1st Gear
My dealership has finally ordered the redesigned rear suspension parts. Now that it's turning colder the rattle is becoming more annoying again, so it will be good to finally get this taken care of.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:13 AM
UticaProf
1st Gear
Originally Posted by UticaProf
My dealership has finally ordered the redesigned rear suspension parts. Now that it's turning colder the rattle is becoming more annoying again, so it will be good to finally get this taken care of.
Just to follow up, the redesigned shocks were installed, and so far it has taken care of the rattle, and I actually think the ride is a bit smoother as well.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 AM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Just to follow up, the redesigned shocks were installed, and so far it has taken care of the rattle, and I actually think the ride is a bit smoother as well.
What kind of rattle was it. What build date is your car.

thanks

Old 01-01-2016, 07:36 AM
UticaProf
1st Gear
As others have said, it was a rattle (originally on one side) from the rear suspension, and it worsened as the weather got colder. Loudest under 15mph going over bumps. Now it's gone.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:15 AM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As others have said, it was a rattle (originally on one side) from the rear suspension, and it worsened as the weather got colder. Loudest under 15mph going over bumps. Now it's gone.
Rattle or creaking sound?

Old 01-06-2016, 05:01 PM
UticaProf
1st Gear
Rattle, as if something was loose in the right rear wheel well.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:15 AM
twentytwo
1st Gear
My 2015 F56 has been in the shop since early this week troubleshooting for the 3rd time the suspension noises. Control arm bushing has been replaced and they are thinking of replacing the strut assembly. The original control arm bushing they said was leaking. Had to order a new one from Germany. The car makes a creaking/squeaking/knock kinda noise when turning left and going over rough pavement or bumps. It's a lemon in my book. The car is nothing but trouble and I'm sorry I ever leased it. Not as good as my 2009 Mini.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:01 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I don't really have any rattles, but I do get a clunk from the rear end when I go over bumps. Seems to happen more often when the suspension is unloaded.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:16 PM
wilbee50
Neutral
Rattle

My 2015 Cooper S 2dr has a nasty rattle in the rear. Our roads are horrific mainly because of the 120 degree temps we get every summer. We just got back from a short drive and I climbed in through the hatch since we keep the back seats down, and my wife dove me around. All I had to do was touch the plastic inside the hatch and it stopped. Will be letting the dealer know so they can hopefully fix it.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM
bctf1
1st Gear
Wilbee50, I had the same exact rattle in my 2015 2 dr. Turned out that the latch and the tension adjusters had to be adjusted. Poof, rattle is now gone.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:07 AM
wilbee50
Neutral
Thanks for that info Brad

Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bctf1
Wilbee50, I had the same exact rattle in my 2015 2 dr. Turned out that the latch and the tension adjusters had to be adjusted. Poof, rattle is now gone.
Thanks for the info..mine is in the shop for that as I type this.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi guys,

Two days ago my car has developed a nasty rattle on the left-side rear quarter panel.
Spent all day today trying to track it down, even teared down the interior panel with no luck.

I've tried the seat belts, handle bars, moon roof, speakers, amps, cables, clips, insulations, and it's none of the above. The only place I couldn't get to is the lower half of the body panel cavity. There's a rigid plastic divider secured by some kind of soft expanding foam. This divider is just below where that mid-bass speaker is. Tried accessing it from below the car but also no access. Forcing access there would mean permanent damage to the expanding foam stuff, so I'm seeking help before doing that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here's a video of the rattle:

Here's the rear interior panel for reference (clip locations):

Old 02-16-2016, 05:08 PM
jaep1911
2nd Gear
You need to change the video to "Unlisted" rather than "Private".

Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jaep1911
You need to change the video to "Unlisted" rather than "Private".
Thanks for catching that. Video privacy has been changed.
Today I'm planning to check all suspension parts before cutting the cavity shielding.

It really sounds like the noise is coming from below cavity shielding (part 5) on diagram below.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2015 F56-S at 30k. Got a few notable noises.

- High pitched squeak in the front dash, down low inside the center section, seems behind the AC control area. Sounds like a little bird chirping away when on a bumpy road.

- Rattle in the boot or hatch. Nothing loose back there. Maybe inside the hatch door or in the roof area above the hatch.

- Moonroof makes a horrid creaking/cracking noise when going over a bump to turning the car into a driveway. It's almost like the whole car flexes and bends when you hit a bump. Both my girlfriend and I both have F56's and both our moonroofs make these creaking sounds.

Taking it into Mini next week for them to hopefully start the hunt. If anyone has any simple suggests or fixes, or have found the cause the similar sounds... please let me know here.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Thanks for catching that. Video privacy has been changed.
Today I'm planning to check all suspension parts before cutting the cavity shielding.

It really sounds like the noise is coming from below cavity shielding (part 5) on diagram below.

Did you ever get this fixed? My 2015 F56 had rattles in the rear, I think it's from that spot you pointed. I just stuffed a used cloth inside there like a year ago and then didn't pay attention to it. I think that solved it, but it might be that I haven't driven enough lately and not noticing it.

Last time I drove my F56 was to replace the leaking rain sensor gel from the front mirror. I could hear rattles from the door speaker grille. I don't know why they make it so flimsy. It's only been couple days and my rain sensor gel pack is leaking again. I wiped it off this time with the cover taken off. I'll keep an eye on it and probably take it back if I see it more than 10cm of the gel leaking on the windshield.

Quick Reply: F56 find the rattles!