F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 GTI vs Clubman JCW

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GTI vs Clubman JCW

New member here, have owned an R56 Cooper S for the last three years which we're replacing with a '17 Justa this week. That's my wife's car; I currently have a 2015 GTI and the lease is up in a couple months. I'm considering replacing it with a Clubman JCW. They're not exactly common and it's going to be impossible to test drive one before buying but I am hoping to test drive at least a manual S All4 this week to get an idea of what one would be like.

Question is, has anyone driven a current GTI and a JCW and could you compare the performance? On paper it sounds like the JCW is slightly slower in acceleration - understandable since the GTI's motor is grossly underrated and it is also several hundred pounds lighter. Also interested in how the handling of the two compare.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Mimaki
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a new JCW Clubman and a friend has a GTi, I have driven both, stock the Clubman feels slower... it's just a lot smoother and doesn't break traction.

​​​​​​Feels much nicer to drive and refined.. which is a positive.

I recently installed the Dinan sport set to race, and it opens the car up a fair bit.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Pseudarius
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never driven a GTI, but here are my 2 cents for what it's worth:

Similar to you, I had a 08 Mini (although mine wasn't even S), and since I needed more space (and four doors) due to my 2nd daughter being born, I was upgrading to a Clubman JCW. Like you, I had never actually driven one prior to taking delivery of it last month. I was able to drive a special edition 4-door Mini with JCW Pro-tune exhaust which had it around 210hp+/- ... Just as I've read, I was disappointed in the pick up. Don't get me wrong, it's probably more than I "need" but less than I want for a 40-45K car.

That said, my wife has had a Passat and a Jetta (most recently) in the past, and they are great cars; I can only imagine that the GTI is even more enjoyable. Nonetheless, I am a Mini-guy through and through. For what it lacks in power/pickup, it makes up for in the driving experience. I love the classic yet updated look and know that it will look just as "current" in 10 years as the 06's look today. Additionally, I love the creature comforts and all the fun little bits that give it character - the interior lighting and the Mini emblem cast under the driver door ... but these are just superficial items.

The go-cart handling is what really makes this car fun. Again, I can't speak to the GTI, but the Clubman JCW feels FAR more solid than my 08 did. And while I say that it is lacking in the 0-60 sprint, I must admit, that it runs 40-100 seemingly more effortlessly than it does from 0-60. I will say, however, that I went with the automatic this time and think that it is biasing my judgment. Without ripping through the gears and feeling the slight snap of the neck between each, the seemingly endless single, smooth gear does make the sprint 'feel' slower, so a 6-speed might help mitigate that feeling.

As an aside, I have been told by my dealership that they are now offering a Dinan tune without affecting the warranty, so I will definitely be considering that in the Spring. Another 50hp will probably not put it ahead of the WRX or GTI, but it certainly wont hurt ... and neither of those is a Mini!

Also, I "briefly" looked at a Focus RS, but American cars ... No thank you!

Old 09-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Thanks for the feedback. I did get a chance to drive a Clubman S All4 manual this weekend. It had the 18" wheels with performance tires. I liked the handling a lot but the straight-line performance left something to be desired. Based on everything I've read I think I'd be content with the JCW version. But performance-wise it isn't up to the standard of the car I originally was set on, a CPO 335i manual.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:12 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Subjective. Very subjective. Ain't no way to 'splain it. All I can say is I was ready to pop for north of $60K for a Bimmer and the MINI is still making me happy every day. Really happy.

MINI and VW barely occupy the same universe.

VW GTI is about perfected for what it is. But it's still a Golf offspring and the same DNA is evident. Fine car within its genre. Sat in the VW and didn't even bother to test drive it. Couldn't get "Rabbit Diesel" out of my mind, unfair as that is.

The AWD on the MINI (basically a BMW x1 system but with more front wheel drive bias) is best on the Clubman JCW for sure. And the BMW drivetrain, including the engine that is found in the JCW Clubman, represents the evolution of MINI, or, as some would say, the further BMWazation of MINI.

IMHO, those who gravitate toward MINI seek the unique. And those who throw on a sport tuning box get a bit more kick -- kick the Clubman S All4 really needs, and, in the JCW iteration, well, it moves right along for sure.

The subjective experience of the MINI, the quirkiness, and the look and interior finish, and, of course, the rear barn doors... fully kitted, for an MSRP creeping too close to $50,000, the JCW Clubby is a pretty nice car. But, once one gets into those acquisition numbers, leasing a BMW looms on the horizon of possibilities.

I have owned very fast performance cars and stodgy British saloons. When shopping for a BMW to replace a Range Rover, I bought a MINI Clubman S All4, with lots of goodies, slapped on a Dinan Sport tuner, and, a year into it, still grinning.

If the GTI talks to you, you probably won't be satisfied with the MINI. On the other hand, ff you experience the silly MINI-driver's go-karter's grin and love how it feels, well, they got ya.

The following users liked this post:
jlb (09-17-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Pseudarius
1st Gear
I suppose it all depends on where your priorities lie and what exactly you're looking for. As I mentioned, I had an 08 Justa, and needed something bigger. The Countryman was too big, and not powerful enough to compensate for its size (even the JCW). Originally, I had been debating the 4-door or the Clubman S (neither of which had a JCW version), but luckily I had stalled long enough with my indecision that day came out with the F54 JCW.

For my purposes - a family car when I need it to be, and a fun little go-kart when I want it to be - this is the perfect vehicle!

I very briefly considered the possibility of a GTI or an Alfa Romeo Giulia, but I'm a brand loyalty guy (Pepsi over Coke, Shell and BP over every other gas station, and Mini over most other cars [all I could afford]), so there wasn't much competition.

If you want something to tear up at the track, or rip onto the freeway, I would probably suggest the GTI Focus RS, or possibly the WRX. If you want something that's mostly machine with a hint of "toy" (but still slightly more refined and mature - ironically - than all of its competition) the Clubman JCW is the way to go!

Old 09-14-2017, 05:48 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Pseudarius
I suppose it all depends on where your priorities lie and what exactly you're looking for. As I mentioned, I had an 08 Justa, and needed something bigger. The Countryman was too big, and not powerful enough to compensate for its size (even the JCW). Originally, I had been debating the 4-door or the Clubman S (neither of which had a JCW version), but luckily I had stalled long enough with my indecision that day came out with the F54 JCW.

For my purposes - a family car when I need it to be, and a fun little go-kart when I want it to be - this is the perfect vehicle!

I very briefly considered the possibility of a GTI or an Alfa Romeo Giulia, but I'm a brand loyalty guy (Pepsi over Coke, Shell and BP over every other gas station, and Mini over most other cars [all I could afford]), so there wasn't much competition.

If you want something to tear up at the track, or rip onto the freeway, I would probably suggest the GTI Focus RS, or possibly the WRX. If you want something that's mostly machine with a hint of "toy" (but still slightly more refined and mature - ironically - than all of its competition) the Clubman JCW is the way to go!
Well Said!!

Old 09-15-2017, 05:44 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
I think that the GTI is the best car you can get for the money. I got it because I wanted a well-rounded car: Something sporty and quick, yet comfortable and relatively luxurious. For its replacement I was looking to upgrade to something faster and more luxurious. Unfortunately, because I only want manuals, there aren't a ton of choices out there – hence my interest in a 335i.

To me, a Clubman JCW is way too expensive for what it is. The only reason I'm even considering one is because I found a low mileage demo for an amazing price that is equipped very similarly to how I'd spec it: BRG with red roof and stripes, black 18" wheels, all six option packages that are offered in Canada, DCC, and the black/red JCW seats. I can lease it for a lower payment than my GTI despite a sticker price that is nearly 40% higher.

When it comes to cars I like variety, I like more unusual colours, and I want something that not everyone else has. This car hits all those notes and it's affordable to boot.

Speaking of the Giulia, I really hope they will bring the manual to North America. That's a car I can definitely see myself in.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:11 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,384 Posts
You might find this an interesting read:
http://jalopnik.com/how-the-2017-min...ver-1803759549

I would rather have a JCW Clubman over a GTI. Minis have so much more character.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
You might find this an interesting read:
http://jalopnik.com/how-the-2017-min...ver-1803759549

I would rather have a JCW Clubman over a GTI. Minis have so much more character.
Sure, but we're also talking about a ~40% price difference between a loaded GTI and a loaded JCW Clubman. The GTI is a pretty compelling value (hence why I drive one).

Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Ray Oliver
Sure, but we're also talking about a ~40% price difference between a loaded GTI and a loaded JCW Clubman. The GTI is a pretty compelling value (hence why I drive one).
And, for what it is, the new GTI is near perfection, whereas MINI is very much a work in progress. Which is why many of us are so drawn to MINI.

As to the value proposition.... Check out the deals on MINIs these days. The MSRPs on MINIs are high, especially if one builds a MINI with all the fun toys added. But folks are paying what the market demands, which is often less than MSRP by a long way.

And, value is subjective. How much will one pay as a premium for the BMW roundel or the Jaguar leaper badge??

I stumbled into MINIworld after decades in high line heaven. Our Clubman is a friggin' bargain compared to what we are accustomed to shelling out for luxury/performance/designer label vehicles.

I figure at least10% of my very reasonable lease payment is for the grins. Worth every dime. VW just can't do that for me, great cars though they are.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:46 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,384 Posts
GTI is also only front wheel drive, until you get into a Golf R.

I can see the comparison on paper, but not in dynamics and feel. The Golf/GTI is a bloated hatchback, and the CLubman JCW is a small bloated wagon. I would still rather have a Clubman JCW.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
As to the value proposition.... Check out the deals on MINIs these days. The MSRPs on MINIs are high, especially if one builds a MINI with all the fun toys added. But folks are paying what the market demands, which is often less than MSRP by a long way.
Deals are fewer and further between in Canada it seems. I just picked up a 2017 Cooper for my wife and despite the 2018s being on lots we weren't able to get a big discount.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Well it's official. I'm picking up a JCW Clubman next week.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Pseudarius
1st Gear
Pics when that happens!

Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Well it's official. I'm picking up a JCW Clubman next week.
Welcome to the Clubman Club. It's a very happy group. Congratulations.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:54 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Deals are fewer and further between in Canada it seems. I just picked up a 2017 Cooper for my wife and despite the 2018s being on lots we weren't able to get a big discount.
Be sure to look closely at what the cars are going for here in the USA. I would argue that the value of the cars in North America is about the same in Canada as the USA. Of course, the dealer will make counter-arguments. But I think a fair question would be, "If this same car is selling for $X in New York or Washington State, why would it cost more here in Canada?" And when they say, "Go buy it in New York then," I might counter with, "No,I live here and wish to buy it from you, for $X."

Best of luck on the deal. Remembering of course, that, in the end, we drive the cars, not the deals.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Be sure to look closely at what the cars are going for here in the USA. I would argue that the value of the cars in North America is about the same in Canada as the USA. Of course, the dealer will make counter-arguments. But I think a fair question would be, "If this same car is selling for $X in New York or Washington State, why would it cost more here in Canada?" And when they say, "Go buy it in New York then," I might counter with, "No,I live here and wish to buy it from you, for $X."

Best of luck on the deal. Remembering of course, that, in the end, we drive the cars, not the deals.
Actually, once you do the currency conversion, these cars are cheaper in Canada.

Regardless, I got an awesome deal on this car. Nearly $11k off MSRP for a demo with 4400 km on it, and a 0.75% lease rate.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Actually, once you do the currency conversion, these cars are cheaper in Canada.

Regardless, I got an awesome deal on this car. Nearly $11k off MSRP for a demo with 4400 km on it, and a 0.75% lease rate.
Congratulations on the great deal. Hope you're lovin' the car!!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Congratulations on the great deal. Hope you're lovin' the car!!
I don't have it yet. Need to fly to Toronto to pick it up on Friday morning.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I don't have it yet. Need to fly to Toronto to pick it up on Friday morning.
Should be a fun drive home

You're allowed to start lovin' the car even before you wrap your hands around the steering wheel for the first time.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Should be a fun drive home
Definitely! Planning on going down into New York state, then across Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. A much more interesting drive than going through Ontario and Quebec.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:20 PM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The F54 will have a better fit and finish than the VW and a better after sales services.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by David9962000
The F54 will have a better fit and finish than the VW and a better after sales services.
After sales services is strictly dealer dependent. Fit and finish is also hit or miss. Some MINIs rattle like crazy and the one VW we had was one buzz that was fixed on first visit.

I like my MINIs better but nothing is carved in stone.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by David9962000
The fit and finish on my GTI is damn near perfect. Just getting a couple of rattles now at almost three years old with 80,000 km on it.

As for after sales service, I only required it once aside from regular maintenance and my local dealer is very good.