F54 :: Clubman Stock Problems/Issues (2015+) Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F54 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Secure Vehicle Against Rolling

Old 04-22-2019, 12:43 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Secure Vehicle Against Rolling

Hey guys so this past weekend I was parking my Mini on a steep incline, and I got a warning that told me to "Secure vehicle against rolling" by applying the parking brake. I didn't think too much of it, and applied my electronic parking brake. Normally I notice that the car automatically applied the parking brake on some inclines, like when I park behind another car on the driveway on the ramp part - obviously it didn't do that this time.

Since this past weekend, on my regular drives now, I get the same warning every time I park. I also get this warning every time I come back to the car and start it up. It's been 2 days now. I did an OBD scan with BlueDriver and received "Gearbox Controller Trouble Codes: 420106: Status: Active - Shift Lock Solenoid: Unlock stuck"

I did a quick search and found BMW X1 owners having this issue and needing to get their mechatronics replaced. I have an appointment at my Mini dealership for Thursday afternoon, but wanted to see if anyone else here has come across this issue before.

Thankfully my car is at about 36k miles and is still under warranty, so I don't think the dealer will have an issue taking care of the issue. But now it has me wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty before mine expires next year. They quoted me around $3-4k for coverage up to 100k miles. On the BMW forums that I was lurking on said that the mechatronics unit was just under $5k to replace. So maybe I might just bite the bullet and pay now for all the coverage, just in case a few things go wrong...

Old 04-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
Not familiar with the Gen 3 hardware...but...is there a manual handbrake still included in all the new microcomputerized technology? Also, are you operating a manual or auto gear box? A yes to both of those includes setting the hand brake, putting it in 1st gear then turning the front wheels appropriately for which side of the hill you are on. That is shown here:
https://driversed.com/driving-inform...on-a-hill.aspx

Dealing with computers that think there is a problem with procedure sounds like a total papa india alpha but you gotta deal with what you have...personal rant over.
Parking on hills was a major part of H.S. driving class back in the day. Our car was a '48 Army surplus Chevy sedan, 3 on the tree - still had the MilSpec plate on the glove box door.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 04-22-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:49 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The car has the 8 speed sport AT transmission and it has an electronic parking brake (button).

The problem is that I am receiving the warning even though I am parking on level ground.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
Well, there we are. They've taken all the personal input out of operating these machines and given it to computers that can decide to do or not do things their own way and leave us wondering and or wishing. Sorry, I can be of no help at all against these near AI robots. This old fart that remembers cranking 2 long and 1 short for central quit the technology advancement when his trusty flip phone became obsolete.