European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

USA Spec MCS - Delivered in Spain

Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USA Spec MCS - Delivered in Spain

Hey all,

Some of you have read my adventures with my 04 MCS in other threads - but here is a short list of differences I have on my MCS.

My MCS was delivered in Spain, then shipped to the USA back in 2004. It made the rounds from the East Coast to the West Coast then to Arizona where I bought it used ( 2nd owner ).

Some of the things that are different from the other MINI's in our local club are:

Saftey Triangles - in a nice blue case under the rear parcel shelf - with the "911" numbers embossed in it for all the Euro countries

First Aid Kit - in the drivers side (right side ) rear cubby / storage hold - very nice red first aid kit - lots of good stuff in it

Silver Owners Manual Case - the ones I have seen here are black??? don't know if silver was a euro only thing or not????

Euro Dealer / Service List -- A nice list of all the MINI Dealers / Service centers in Western Europe - UK

I am sure I am missing a few things -- I'll check and edit the post later

OK - I have the photos of the Euro stuff up on my flickr site!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
GrossmeisterB
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
Hey all,

Some of you have read my adventures with my 04 MCS in other threads - but here is a short list of differences I have on my MCS.

My MCS was delivered in Spain, then shipped to the USA back in 2004. It made the rounds from the East Coast to the West Coast then to Arizona where I bought it used ( 2nd owner ).

Some of the things that are different from the other MINI's in our local club are:

Saftey Triangles - in a nice blue case under the rear parcel shelf - with the "911" numbers embossed in it for all the Euro countries

First Aid Kit - in the drivers side (right side ) rear cubby / storage hold - very nice red first aid kit - lots of good stuff in it

Silver Owners Manual Case - the ones I have seen here are black??? don't know if silver was a euro only thing or not????

Euro Dealer / Service List -- A nice list of all the MINI Dealers / Service centers in Western Europe - UK

I am sure I am missing a few things -- I'll check and edit the post later

OK - I have the photos of the Euro stuff up on my flickr site!
I live in germany, so I have a "Euro spec Mini" as well, my owner's manual case is silver as well, the safety triangle and the first aid kit are a "must have" here by law! The list is in my silver bag as well!!
You don't have the US sidemarkers, right?

Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
the americans get the short end of the stick

Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 PM
SB
6th Gear
Is the AM portion of the radio programmed differently? I had my radio replaced under warranty and my AM was setup for a different channel listing than what is here in the states. It worked fine but the channel number was off a bit. I left it as is.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:36 PM
GrossmeisterB
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SB
Is the AM portion of the radio programmed differently? I had my radio replaced under warranty and my AM was setup for a different channel listing than what is here in the states. It worked fine but the channel number was off a bit. I left it as is.
It could be a bit different, because e.g. police uses some frequences here that are used for "normal" AM radio in other countries (e.g. US, Canada etc.)

Old 03-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GrossmeisterB
I live in germany, so I have a "Euro spec Mini" as well, my owner's manual case is silver as well, the safety triangle and the first aid kit are a "must have" here by law! The list is in my silver bag as well!!
You don't have the US sidemarkers, right?
I do have the US sidemarkers ( as far as I can tell? ) - it is a USA Spec car - but since it was delivered in Spain it had to have the "euro kit" ? to make it legal to drive - untill it was shipped back the USA.

I assume it was a military buyer - and bought from BMW-MINI military sales Germany - took delivery in Spain - then brought it back to the US when he came home.

Lots of fun differences though

Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
james f
2nd Gear
from what i can see the USA spec minis have differnat leather seats in the chili pack and also im guessing you dont have the MINI one or MINI one Diesel

Old 03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
I don't think our US for EU spec cars have the electronic speed limiter either. Some of the RCM guys have commented that their cars are limited to around 120 mph or so (I forget what speed) whereas I know for a fact that mine isn't

SB, if I remember, we can check the AM functions next time we meet up

Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 PM
GrossmeisterB
2nd Gear
I know for sure that my EUDM Mini is NOT speed limited!!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
the 03 US spec MCS were limited to 135mph. My orginal 02 MINI was a Pre US or EU spec MINI that I purchased (it was a Demo model on the Show room floor only 30 mins after the doors open on Launch day). Was not limited and I have buried the speedo many times.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
thegoat90
Neutral
CD/radio

I sold my CD player/deck to a German Mini owner. Even trade,,,out of my cellar for a couple racks of beer.

He installed it but says he needs some PH-???-??? number to make it work. He said it was in my owners manual but I cannot find it. Do any of you all know the factory code he speaks of?????????

I already drank the beer....................

Old 03-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Drillslinger
I don't think our US for EU spec cars have the electronic speed limiter either. Some of the RCM guys have commented that their cars are limited to around 120 mph or so (I forget what speed) whereas I know for a fact that mine isn't

SB, if I remember, we can check the AM functions next time we meet up
No speed limiter here - I have had it well above 140MPH

It just keep on pulling

Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigcoyote
No speed limiter here - I have had it well above 140MPH

It just keep on pulling
On a track right

Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Bigcoyote
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
On a track right
Yeah....sure... on a track well kinda ... I was in the middle of the pack

Old 03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
bolar
3rd Gear
How do the Euro side markers differ with the US? My '04 MCS is Italian in origin and has the triangle and first aid kit. MINI USA sent me a black manual case when I told them I was here. I never got the silver.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
EZQ
1st Gear
Location: SPAIN.Jerez, the city where the Sherry wine is from
In Europe, only is legal a pair of safety triangles.In Spain,The "First Aid Kit" is optional.
The speed meter is in Kilometers/hour.
The Owners Manual Case is Silver in Europe

Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
I just brought my mini cooper from germany. Had it built then shipped to Germany. I had it two weeks before we moved back to the US. Now we are in Fort Jackson SC. Yes we are a military family.
Our cooper has the lil blue triangle kit. My lil kit that all my books are in, are black. But I did get a cute lil leather wallet key chain thingymabob lol. Other then that I dont see the difference. I have yet to be in an "AmericanMini", so I haven't noticed anything different.
Oh shoot, the other difference is I have the coolio lil first aid kit located behind the back drivers side seat.. in the boot!

Last edited by lilruffcat; 04-22-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: adding goodies
Old 04-28-2007, 02:43 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
I bought my MINI when I was stationed in Italy, as well. When I tried to get 'Euro Spec', I was told that it was not possible, because DOT/EPA standards in the US were not the save as TuV/EU. If I got a 100% EU Spec, I would not have been able to bring it back stateside. The only major difference I saw (other than not being able to get the One D, or the Clear Turn signals) was the Arch Marker lights. I have, since then, swaped out my US Tails and Third brake for the EU versions (clear turns, clear third brake), and added the Euro Shelf (god, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought 10 before leaving Italy and sold them after the BMW/MINI embargo). I, too, have the Blue Triangle Box and Red First Aid Kit (required in Italy), as well as a Yellow Reflective Safety Vest (required by Italian law) and a complete set of replacement bulbs in a nifty slide open box in the passenger side boot panel (also, I believe, required by Italian Law). My Speedo is the US version, but when I took delivery, the Trip/ODO and OBC read kM, C and l/100kM. Simple switch to M, F and MPG, though. I think motoring file even has a DIY for that.

Oh, yea, and I still have the neat 'Book' in Italian that opened up to reveal my Owners Manual and other manuals (bilingual, UK/IT), my MINI key Ring and FOBs w/ Valet Key. And a list of the '800' numbers for all the MINI service centres (yes, centres, not centers) in the UK/EU. My radio also is the EU version, which picks up AM and FM (EU stations are listed as **.**, instead of **.*, every other odd. It means I don't jump from 99.7 to 99.9. Mine goes 99.70 to 99.75, etc., etc., to 99.90. Same for the autovoltage radio I picked up in Italy.

Yes, US customers get jipped. But more likely by the Government, not BMW/MINI.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:46 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Oh, forgot to add. I had my MINI up to 140+ on the Autostradale in the Alpina Italia (SWEEET twisties!!!). I've never noticed the electronic limiter, but I suppose it could just be set higher?!?

Old 04-28-2007, 02:51 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Radio Boost Guide

Originally Posted by thegoat90
I sold my CD player/deck to a German Mini owner. Even trade,,,out of my cellar for a couple racks of beer.

He installed it but says he needs some PH-???-??? number to make it work. He said it was in my owners manual but I cannot find it. Do any of you all know the factory code he speaks of?????????

I already drank the beer....................
My manuals included a Radio CD Boost guide and a little card (like a business card) from BMW-MINI Italia S.p.A. which has the number you speak of. It prevents anyone without that number from using your radio. It's required in the UK to prevent radio theft, but I don't believe they are allowed to include that on models shipped directly to the US. Have to ask a US Spec owner if they have the security card...

Old 04-28-2007, 02:57 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Originally Posted by bolar
How do the Euro side markers differ with the US? My '04 MCS is Italian in origin and has the triangle and first aid kit. MINI USA sent me a black manual case when I told them I was here. I never got the silver.
There are no side markers outside the US and Canada. Period. It is a DOT regulation (adopted, in Canada), although many car companies get away with not having them by wrapping the headlights and taillights around the side of the car and making the lenses reflective.

I did know of a One D owner who swapped with a friend of mine to change out side arches. His One D had the Cooper Arches with the US DOT side markers and lights, my shipmate's Cooper had the One D arches with no side markers. And the Customs agent didn't seem to notice when it was time to ship his cooper back stateside.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:51 PM
bolar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by QandElf
I bought my MINI when I was stationed in Italy, as well. When I tried to get 'Euro Spec', I was told that it was not possible, because DOT/EPA standards in the US were not the save as TuV/EU. If I got a 100% EU Spec, I would not have been able to bring it back stateside. The only major difference I saw (other than not being able to get the One D, or the Clear Turn signals) was the Arch Marker lights. I have, since then, swaped out my US Tails and Third brake for the EU versions (clear turns, clear third brake), and added the Euro Shelf (god, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have bought 10 before leaving Italy and sold them after the BMW/MINI embargo). I, too, have the Blue Triangle Box and Red First Aid Kit (required in Italy), as well as a Yellow Reflective Safety Vest (required by Italian law) and a complete set of replacement bulbs in a nifty slide open box in the passenger side boot panel (also, I believe, required by Italian Law). My Speedo is the US version, but when I took delivery, the Trip/ODO and OBC read kM, C and l/100kM. Simple switch to M, F and MPG, though. I think motoring file even has a DIY for that.

Oh, yea, and I still have the neat 'Book' in Italian that opened up to reveal my Owners Manual and other manuals (bilingual, UK/IT), my MINI key Ring and FOBs w/ Valet Key. And a list of the '800' numbers for all the MINI service centres (yes, centres, not centers) in the UK/EU. My radio also is the EU version, which picks up AM and FM (EU stations are listed as **.**, instead of **.*, every other odd. It means I don't jump from 99.7 to 99.9. Mine goes 99.70 to 99.75, etc., etc., to 99.90. Same for the autovoltage radio I picked up in Italy.

Yes, US customers get jipped. But more likely by the Government, not BMW/MINI.

I just checked my radio and the numbers in FM are **.*, I never saw a safety vest or replacement bulbs . The bulbs would be great to have . All the books I have are Italian and my leather(?) fob holder has the local Vicenza number on it. I'm going to have to open my first aid kit and see what's in it .

Old 05-03-2007, 06:35 AM
QandElf
Shadetree Modder
Originally Posted by bolar
I just checked my radio and the numbers in FM are **.*, I never saw a safety vest or replacement bulbs . The bulbs would be great to have . All the books I have are Italian and my leather(?) fob holder has the local Vicenza number on it. I'm going to have to open my first aid kit and see what's in it .
Hmmm...

I don't know. I picked my '04 up on June 1st (April 04 production). They had just (within the previous 3 or 4 months) made the EU plates mandatory for US Servicemembers, and had started enforcing the triangle and safety vest thing. The yellow vest and spare bulbs are in the passenger side boot cubby, opposite from the First Aid Kit.

I ordered mine through PCS & BMW/MINI Italia S.p.A. d'Olbia. I ended up cutting some money off the cost by picking it up myself on the Mainland (probably the same place you did). I paid just over €18.000,00 ($22,170.00) fully loaded (ok, not fully, I didn't spring for any JCW).

I'm beginning to think that when it comes to US Spec cars bought in the EU, there isn't a hard and fast rule. You get what the Italian dealer (or German, or Spanish, etc.) thinks you should get. I know everyone who waited and picked up their MINI in Olbia got the Floor Mats free of charge (or, at least, the people who ordered around the same time I did), but the Dealer I picked my car up at didn't have any 'freebies'. Although, if they made sure I had a bunch of stuff that Italy required that not everyone else got, maybe that was the freebie?!?

I do know that when I visited Germany a few times, the PCS lots were pretty self-sufficient, but the PCS lots in Italy (even the big'un in Naples) were all required to work with/for/under an Italian dealer. I know it made it difficult in LaMadd/Olbia when PCS started selling for SAAB, because the closest Opel/SAAB Dealer was in Sassari, on the west coast of Sardinia. But, unlike the BMW and MINIs, the BMW Motorcycles were actually closer. There was a dealer closer to Palau who sold BMW, Ducati and one other Euro Bike.

OK, enough of the tangent-al walk down memory lane. If I remember, I'll take some pics of the different items I got when I picked up my MINI.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
bolar
3rd Gear
[quote=QandElf;1505652] Hmmm...
I'm beginning to think that when it comes to US Spec cars bought in the EU, there isn't a hard and fast rule. You get what the Italian dealer (or German, or Spanish, etc.) thinks you should get. I know everyone who waited and picked up their MINI in Olbia got the Floor Mats free of charge (or, at least, the people who ordered around the same time I did), but the Dealer I picked my car up at didn't have any 'freebies'. Although, if they made sure I had a bunch of stuff that Italy required that not everyone else got, maybe that was the freebie?!? [quote]

I did get the carpet mats free. That was a nice surprise .

Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 AM
emagineer
2nd Gear
I just bought a 2005 German import. Am curious how they are registered. Pulled a Carfax report and the original/first registration shows Alaska on 9/09/06, but import shipping on 9/25/06 to another state with mileage close to when I bought it this week.

How are the imports registered when bought overseas? I suspect the Carfax report is missing information regarding the car while located in Germany.

The silver case is there along with maintenance records in German as are 2 business cards and maintenace location manual for EU. Owner's manual is US and does not show the emergency triangle storage attached under the luggage compartment cover. This item has a dozen languages on it for instructions, but not English, although there is a small bit of writing in English stating "We are not responsible". Seats are a totally different leather than the norm. The first aid kit is missing, there is a blue/white cross on the cover where one would be located. Would like to get one to finish off all the other inclusions.

Haven't checked anything else for differences, but MINI is in pristine condition and excellant mechanical. It looks/drives newer than my first MINI which was bought new. I sold the first one 2 years ago and have had MINI separation anxiety since. Great to be driving again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: USA Spec MCS - Delivered in Spain