Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Program key in R53, how?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
AK.JCW
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I passed these instructions on to one of our club members last week because her remote didn't work.

She said the instructions work PERFECTLY and was very thankful, so I am passing that thanks on. NAM is a great source of information.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
Im gonna try this now. I hope it works!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM
MINICK
1st Gear
Nothing for my 05 mcs......

Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 AM
MINICK
1st Gear
Yesterday midnight i went to my car in order to fix my remote system with no success.My mini is facelift but i have two keys with two buttons not three.....

This morning i called my local dealer and told him my problem,also told him i have opened the key in order to measure the battery and he answered me that i destroyed it......

Is it possible??

What about this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-MINI-3-BUT...item2c55f94bd3

????

Last edited by MINICK; 07-21-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
PoodleMom
Neutral
DickDavid, thank-you for the instructions. It worked perfectly for my 2006 S! I misplaced my key in the garage someplace, but luckily had a spare. We ordered a blank from Ebay a few months ago for around $80 and had a locksmith laser cut it for $60. Checking Ebay right now it looks like you can get a blank from $85 -$90. Well worth the savings!

For those of you in the Sacramento area, we used Jeff's Locksmiths 2377 Arden Way, phone 916 929-9082.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:27 AM
killavilla
Neutral
does anyone know if a 2007 mini's keys can be reprogrammed? i bought a used one on ebay and my dealership says they can't reprogram it

Old 10-07-2010, 06:54 AM
sal45
1st Gear
I tried this for mine and cannot get it to work. Just picked up a R53 '04 on Tuesday and both keys were dead. Bought and installed new batts in the keys. Tried to do the steps I read here, and its still dead. Is there a fuse or something I should be looking for? The keys work fine to start/lock from outside.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DMBFan2
Getting my windows and sunroof to fully open while I'm walking to my car is great BUT what about getting them to go back up and have the sunroof close without having to get back in the car?

Any ideas?
Didnt see an answer to this here, so:

Insert key into door lock, turn it to right to lock doors. After doors lock, keep it turned to right. In a second or two, windows and roof will close. Hold key to right until everything is closed.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Didnt see an answer to this here, so:

Insert key into door lock, turn it to right to lock doors. After doors lock, keep it turned to right. In a second or two, windows and roof will close. Hold key to right until everything is closed.
...and according to my mini dealer, the remote up feature is disabled by software in the U.S. for 'safety' reasons, in case timmy has his stupid head sticking through the sunroof.

I bought the ian cull auto up circuit hoping that would enable it, but alas, it does not.

In other news, my build date is 03/05 and I did this procedure (as originally posted) to my original key, the original key given to me by the previous owner, and the dealership key I bought, and now all three keys work fine.

I'm a little miffed that all three keys start the car without having to do this procedure or some other process though...what's to keep someone who steals your key or who kept one after a sale from finding and driving away with your car?

Last edited by Nick5811; 10-09-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Snow
Neutral
Originally Posted by sal45
I tried this for mine and cannot get it to work. Just picked up a R53 '04 on Tuesday and both keys were dead. Bought and installed new batts in the keys. Tried to do the steps I read here, and its still dead. Is there a fuse or something I should be looking for? The keys work fine to start/lock from outside.
I also have a 04 r53 and when i bought the car the key remote used to work perfectly then one day it stopped working. I have tried switching the batteries several times and reprograming it... still no luck... any ideas?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
2bold4u
Neutral
So if I understand correctly, the new key I just purchased ($170) for my 02 MCS can only be programed at a Mini dealer ($60) that make it a $230 key wow.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 AM
mrgentleminh
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
does a remote from an 02/03' mini work for the 2005 model?? they look slightly different. one's flatter than the other. I just need the remote part (not the actual key obvisouly)

Old 12-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bold4u
So if I understand correctly, the new key I just purchased ($170) for my 02 MCS can only be programed at a Mini dealer ($60) that make it a $230 key wow.
My local MINI dealer will do a "complimentary" programming if I bought the key with the remote. However, I went with the non-remote key for just under $60, and it came already correctly coded for the ignition.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:24 PM
2bold4u
Neutral
Well the key will have to wait, looks like I blew the head gasket.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:49 PM
sal45
1st Gear
I called the dealer about my key issue (already tried the stuff here) and they told me they couldn't reprogram my key without the code. I guess the code was supposed to be in the owners manual, which the previous owner kept!

Any ideas if that is true, or are they just blowing smoke?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Nick5811
3rd Gear
I called the dealer about my key issue (already tried the stuff here) and they told me they couldn't reprogram my key without the code. I guess the code was supposed to be in the owners manual, which the previous owner kept!

Any ideas if that is true, or are they just blowing smoke?
Confused here; what exactly is your issue? The batteries were replaced but the key won't charge, or they won't operate the remote locking/unlocking feature?

If that's the case, you can get a cheap alarm to do the lock/unlock for less than the price of ONE new key from the dealership, and they can add a kill switch so nobody can drive off with your plastic valet key.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
sal45
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Nick5811
Confused here; what exactly is your issue? The batteries were replaced but the key won't charge, or they won't operate the remote locking/unlocking feature?

If that's the case, you can get a cheap alarm to do the lock/unlock for less than the price of ONE new key from the dealership, and they can add a kill switch so nobody can drive off with your plastic valet key.
when I bought the car, the keys didn't work to unlock/lock the car remotely. I replaced the batteries and followed the instructions on here. Still didn't work. Called the dealer and told him what was happening. The dealer said I needed the keys reporgrammed and I needed the code in my owners manual. Which I didn't get when I purchased the car. So now they tell me that I would have to get new keys since they can't program the old ones to work without the code.

My question is the dealer feeding me a line because he wants me to spend more money, or is it legit?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM
44cupcake
Neutral
2002 Mini Cooper

Where can I purchase a key for my Mini? My key will not lock my door, but it unlocks it.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM
tjmm
1st Gear
when I bought the car, the keys didn't work to unlock/lock the car remotely. I replaced the batteries and followed the instructions on here. Still didn't work. Called the dealer and told him what was happening. The dealer said I needed the keys reporgrammed and I needed the code in my owners manual. Which I didn't get when I purchased the car. So now they tell me that I would have to get new keys since they can't program the old ones to work without the code.

My question is the dealer feeding me a line because he wants me to spend more money, or is it legit?

I have the same issue with my 2002 R50. Bought it and keys work manual door locks and ignition but no remote functions. Replaced batteries in both keys and tried to program or initalize with info found. Nothing has worked thus far and I refuse to believe the only solution is buying a new key at $190 and programming at $75 per dealer. Thanks

Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Rocknropes
1st Gear
I tried it last night on my '05 MCS JCW and happy to report that it works!!! I'm excited that I now have a remote keyless entry again. woohoo!

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
DanHammer
Neutral
I tried the process for my 06 R53 ... did not work. I just got the car and only have 1 key and remote does not work. Frustrated already ... I am unable to open the key to check the battery ... any suggestions? I am in the process of getting a new key from the dealer. Want to know if the 06 keys rechargeable or can the battery be replaced? Thanks for any info.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'06 should be rechargable, I believe.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
brutalsun
3rd Gear
I had this same problem and went through all the steps only to find out the previous owner had removed the module. It's located in that little box right above the back seats. If it's there, you can fix it with the key program dealy outlined by previous posters, if it's not there well...

Last edited by brutalsun; 04-27-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: removed "owners" and switched with "posters"
Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM
davcooper
Neutral
I wanted to mention that I bought my Mini 2 weeks ago, keyless fob didn't work either and I thank you sooooo much that the instructions posted by DickDavid indeed worked great. I just did it at work in the parking and after a few tries, and me being dumb pressing the rear hatch button instead of the unlock, it is now working.

thanks DickDavid

Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Nick5811
...and according to my mini dealer, the remote up feature is disabled by software in the U.S. for 'safety' reasons, in case timmy has his stupid head sticking through the sunroof.

I bought the ian cull auto up circuit hoping that would enable it, but alas, it does not.

In other news, my build date is 03/05 and I did this procedure (as originally posted) to my original key, the original key given to me by the previous owner, and the dealership key I bought, and now all three keys work fine.

I'm a little miffed that all three keys start the car without having to do this procedure or some other process though...what's to keep someone who steals your key or who kept one after a sale from finding and driving away with your car?
You CANNOT program the immobilizer part of the key to your car. PERIOD.

You CAN program the remote control to lock and unlock your car.

You CAN roll the windows UP and down via the key in the door. The UP part MAY be disabled via software but CAN be enabled even in the USA. What people are talking about is rolling the windows UP with the remote control.

You CAN roll the windows down with the remote control even in the USA BUT it may have been disabled via software.

Quick Reply: Electrical Program key in R53, how?