North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical Program key in R53, how? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/97315-program-key-in-r53-how.html)

Sorensen 04-06-2007 11:17 AM

Program key in R53, how?

My central doorlock will not work with the remote, so I think I have to program the key. How do i do it on a 2005 Coooper S. There are 3 buttons on the key.

Jeremy1026 04-06-2007 11:24 AM

1. get in your MINI
2. drive to your favorite dealer
3. ask them to fix it for you

Unfortunatly you cant reprogram your key on anything under an 07'

dickdavid 04-06-2007 12:09 PM

Here's something I found on another forum.

MODEL
R50 (Cooper), R52 (Convertible), R53 (Cooper S) from 07/04 production

SITUATION
Remote control bar codes are no longer supplied with new vehicles

CAUSE
On vehicles produced 07/2004 and later, a new remote initialization procedure is required.

PROCEDURE
Initialize remote key as follows:

1.) Close all doors

2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key

3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)

4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds

6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

DISCLAIMER: I've never done this so I don't know if this will work or mess up your car. Good luck.

Jeremy1026 04-06-2007 02:20 PM

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong?

Eric_Rowland 04-06-2007 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 (Post 1463233)
Hmm, maybe I'm wrong?

You're talking about programmable options (i.e. one click unlocks only driver's door, second click unlocks all doors). That programming is in the BC1, not the key.
Sounds like Sorensen's car is not recognizing the key at all.

Sorensen 04-07-2007 12:33 AM

Yes, it seems that my car won´t recognize my key. I can start the car with the key, but not lock the doors with the remote. In my manual I can see that if the battery in the key has low capacity, you must drive a long trip and the key will be reloaded under driving. That I have done, but I can still not program it.

willum 04-09-2007 09:11 AM

Had the same thing happen to me....All of a sudden, the remote would not lock/unlock the car. All other key functions were normal. I usually swap out my keys every coupla months so I knew the battery was OK. My dealer is 60mi away so just for grins I tried the proceedure as posted by dickdavid and worked like a champ. Be sure to complete item #5 for your 2nd key, otherwise it will not work!:confused: Trust me.....I know.:nod:
'05 MCS with a 7/2004 build date.

Sorensen 04-10-2007 12:24 PM

I have tried to program it as Dickdavid said, but no reaction at all. Does anyone knows where the remote control box is located in a Cooper S Automatic, year 6/2005. Maybe I have forgot to mount some plugs after i have rebuild the car here in the winter. But where???

GBMINI 04-10-2007 12:30 PM

Do you have more than one key? Do none of them work?
The receiver for the remote is integrated in the rearview mirror in '05+ MINIs; the decode/electronics is, um, somewhere else. Sorry, can't remember where but somewhere behind/beneath the dash.

Sorensen 04-10-2007 01:05 PM

I only have one key. The central door lock works fine with manual lock.

MINID 04-10-2007 01:45 PM

The procedure that DickDavid gave you were for initializing the remote key,not programming it. It sounds like you have an issue with either the key, the antenna(rear view mirror), or possibly a mechanical problem in the door itself. Does the remote key unlock the gas cap or the passenger door or boot?

Sorensen 04-10-2007 10:46 PM

Yes the key works fine, when I put it in manually in the door and the comfort closing of the windows is also working, but not remote.

roaduscarnivorous 04-10-2007 10:50 PM

the '05 keys get recharged in ignition, right? maybe the rechargeable battery in the key is dead?

Sorensen 04-12-2007 12:49 AM

I have now checked the voltage in the battery in the key and it says 3,3 Volt, so it seems that it is ok.

GBMINI 04-12-2007 06:30 AM

I'm curious - how did you measure the voltage? Is there a way to open the key?

Sorensen 04-12-2007 06:54 AM

I opened the key with a little screwdriver but the key is not made for it from factory. But it is possible with a care hand. Then I could check the battery with a multimeter. And at last I used a fast glue to put the key together again

TWON 07-22-2008 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by dickdavid (Post 1462932)
Here's something I found on another forum.

MODEL
R50 (Cooper), R52 (Convertible), R53 (Cooper S) from 07/04 production

SITUATION
Remote control bar codes are no longer supplied with new vehicles

CAUSE
On vehicles produced 07/2004 and later, a new remote initialization procedure is required.

PROCEDURE
Initialize remote key as follows:

1.) Close all doors

2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key

3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)

4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds

6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

DISCLAIMER: I've never done this so I don't know if this will work or mess up your car. Good luck.

For anyone interested, I just did this and it worked great! :thumbsup:

I was able to program three master keys to my mini.

If doing this, be patient, it did take me several tries to get it right for all three to work. If you have problems, do each step slower.

Thanks David!:thumbsup:

pitt2magic 07-31-2008 08:58 PM

just a warning. my wife and i recently bought 2 06 MCS, mine in hatchback, her convertible. Both of the previous owners never used the spare key so they both were dead. I tried this tongiht and was thrilled to find out that it worked great in my car, went bragging to the wife about saving us a 200 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. Then i went to the garage to reprogram her spare. Now I have 4 keys that dont work. I guess that both cars being so close to each other in the garage screwed the programming up. I plan on pulling one car down the road from the house tomorrow to see if i can fix the problem. So, i guess you cant reprogram a key when its very close to another Mini.

TWON 07-31-2008 09:12 PM

That sounds odd, how does the dealer do it then, i wonder?

Good luck with getting it right.

pitt2magic 07-31-2008 09:17 PM

went back to the garage, had to get this right. tried reprogramming again, as of right now, 4 working keys, very cool.
only been on the forum a few days and I'm hooked. thanks

Syco R53 09-06-2008 05:45 PM

So, if you already have an old key that currently works, and you need to program one brand new key to get the remote function to work:

You take the new key and do steps 1-4, then immedaitely after, you take your old key, and just do steps 3-4 with that old key. Is that correct?

TWON 09-06-2008 06:02 PM

Yes, you got it! It doesn't matter which one you do first though, :thumbsup:

2xMini 09-20-2008 01:00 PM

Make this one a sticky, worked with mine like a charm too! Our MINI place geve me a new key, but they screwed up initializing both of them. Since they're 45 miles away, this saved us about 10 bucks in gas... thanks DickDavid, you da man! :thumbsup:

snowmanmini 09-22-2008 07:47 AM

It worked and saved me a trip to the dealer. Thanks!!

Syco R53 09-22-2008 08:45 AM

Keys work, thank you!