Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Program key in R53, how?

Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Porsche965
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
both keys are now working
thanks

Last edited by Porsche965; 10-26-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
r52pimp
Banned
Just got mine fixed. No need to drag a$$ to the the dealer. Sweet.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the procedure for an 11/03 build

Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM
motor162
Neutral
'05 MCS Remote

Pretty strange; the dealer gave me instructions on how to initialize/program my new key today. All my second key would do is start the car after following their instructions ; wouldn't control any remote functions at all.

I tried dickdavid's technique and it works perfectly. Everything is working with my new key as it should. It's unfortunate I had to pay $150 for a new key from the dealer...what a rip-off! At least they didn't get my money to program it too! Thanks so much.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Well after my key being in my pocket all day, the inevitable finally happened, The darn thing would not unlock or lock the door.

Using DD's instructions. Worked the first time.

I owe you a beer.

Thanks

Now all I have to do is find the other key I lost.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
It works

I've had my unprogrammed key for nearly 2 years now maybe even longer....I had taken my car in for service and they ended up having to give me a new key because the mini logo came off. Anyways they didn't program the key because they didn't have both and I haven't been back to the dealership because one is far away and 2 I'm long since out of my warranty and didn't want to pay for the key to programmed....Anyways followed the instructions posted here and it totally worked. It only took me 2 tries to get it right but it totally worked! BTW I have an '05 convert.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Getting my windows and sunroof to fully open while I'm walking to my car is great BUT what about getting them to go back up and have the sunroof close without having to get back in the car?

Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Ramshackle
Neutral
Thanks to dickdavid who saved me MANY hours and much grief. Had the battery changed today and the remote stopped working. Dickdavids fix worked like a charm. One relieved Aussie bloke.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 AM
SemperGumby27
1st Gear
Hey! I just purchased my MCS and only received one key. Are there any options other than the dealer to get a key from? I just want a spare JIC!

Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Themajickman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SemperGumby27
Hey! I just purchased my MCS and only received one key. Are there any options other than the dealer to get a key from? I just want a spare JIC!
I'm in the same situation. Bought my 07 cabrio with only one key. The dealer wants $160 for a new key. I found the Key FOB on eBay but I don't know if the blade can be replaced and cut for my car. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by motor162
I tried dickdavid's technique and it works perfectly. Everything is working with my new key as it should.
+1

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
how does it charge the battery in the ignition? 2006 s

just trying to understand the charging while driving, i guess the key completes the circuit when inserted into ignition? so if i take a small battery using the key as a lead connect one side to positive, one to negative it should charge the key fob? or short it out, well it does not work anyhow! a guess what i am asking can i charge the key outside the car? its possiable it has dirty contacts but does not seem to come apart easy. does anyone have a picture of one split open?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
Recharging the battery in the new key fob. If not used the key will be discharged in approximately 18 months. It requires approximately 30 hours to fully charge a completely discharged battery. The remote can be operated 15 times after being charged for 30 minutes. Charging only occurs when the ignition is in the Accessory or On positions. It does not charge in the Off position.

http://www.bmwgm5.com/Keys.htm

Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
These keys are pretty expensive. don't try to take it apart or connect it to a battery. Just drive with it in the ignition for a couple days and that should get a charge in it. Then try the initialization procedure in this thread and it should work. If it doesn't the key is dead.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
spirit
2nd Gear
Worked like a charm, thanks dickdavid.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Tom2112
2nd Gear
Wow. I must have screwed something up. I have an original key that worked fine, and I bought a new key, mailed direct to me from the dealer. I used the directions above to program the new key AND following the other posts, I also programmed the old key.

Now the new key works, but the old one doesn't!

Nothing I do will get that old key to work. I've tried going through the steps with just the old key, with both the new and the old, I've even tried changing what order I do them in (which key I start with and which key only gets steps 3 and 4). But nothing seems to work for my old key now.

Any suggestions? Please help. I dodged the bullet of driving 80 miles back to the dealer to get the new key programmed only to lose functionality of my old key.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
i did find out that you have to reprogram all the keys at once, i bought 2 keys off ebay (2 different cars) and was able to program them just to open and close the doors, also needed to program my original key during the same programing session, (you will have like 30seconds to do all 3, if it works the doors unlock and lock after every fob you program) only downfall is the ebay key will not get charged, needs to be in the ignition or very very close to it, i am going to experiment with using my toothbrush charger to see if it will recharge the fob after it stops working. most electric toothbrushes charge conductively, don't know if the voltage is correct or ohm's or whatever but will give it a try.

Last edited by miniwheels; 02-18-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
i just bought a manual key, works door lock and ignition, from prestige mini of nj, $71 had it in 2 days, no programing needed, i removed the blade from the ebay key and attached it to the key ring, old school style. lol
if i had the guts i would open the new key up and see what the immobilizer chip looks like then put the key fob button top back on it.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM
mejerry
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 (Prod date 11/03) can't program key

We just purchased a 2004 Mini, prod date of 11/03. It only came with 1 remote key so I bought another from the nearest Mini dealer service dept (over phone, sent to me in mail, $250). I can't get the new key remote buttons to work. I've tried the various button procedures shown here and the ones in the manual (which by the way are different).

BTW: Thanks to DickDavid for providing very clear instructions. Even though they didn't work. Some threads haven't been clear (and neither was manual) about things like "Do I remove the key from ignition before pressing buttons."

Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
mejerry
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AZblackOUT
whats the procedure for an 11/03 build
Did you get an answer to the procedure to program a key for 11/03 build? I am in the same situation and have 11/03 build.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
leeortz1
Neutral
So here's my story. Just bought a 2005 Mini Cooper S. Neither key can remotely unlock anything. The key has three buttons, one for the lock, one for the unlock, and one for the trunk. I have had the batteries tested and both of them work (I had someone open them and test them then shut them). I stepped into my Mini, put the key in the first key lock, took the key out of the Mini, held down the unlock and lock buttons at the same time, then hit the lock button two more times (sometimes three more times), depressed them, and nothing happens. I have tried this a lot of times. I am wondering if there is something wrong with a fuse or something? The doors unlock when I put the key into the door and unlock them.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
took me a few times to get it to work, after turning key to position 1 and back, remove key, just make sure to press and hold the unlock button first, then press and release the lock button 3 x's, release both, if it worked it will lock the and unlock to signal a successful program, just do it to one key til you get the hang of it, then try to do both keys, i programed 3 keys from 3 different cars to my car. if car or keys have not been used for a extended period of time months, needs to be charged takes only a few minutes to do, a short drive will charge enough, to try and program, good luck

PROCEDURE
Initialize remote key as follows:

1.) Close all doors

2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key

3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)

4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds

6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

Last edited by miniwheels; 05-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
leeortz1
Neutral
Thank you for the help. It's just not working. I wonder if something is wrong with the cars sensor. I just don't know. I don't want to pay an arm and leg to get it fixed. I am wondering if on the third time to hit the center button I should hold them down until something happens or just let
go. I am holding down unlock then, once hitting the lock, twice hitting the lock button, three times hitting the lock button, and then releasing them. Who knows. Much frustration...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:16 PM
miniwheels
2nd Gear
just making sure, the unlock button is the button nearest the blade part of key? where are you located?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Tom2112
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by leeortz1
Thank you for the help. It's just not working. I wonder if something is wrong with the cars sensor. I just don't know. I don't want to pay an arm and leg to get it fixed. I am wondering if on the third time to hit the center button I should hold them down until something happens or just let
go. I am holding down unlock then, once hitting the lock, twice hitting the lock button, three times hitting the lock button, and then releasing them. Who knows. Much frustration...
Leeortz, don't feel bad. I ruined one key doing this procedure. I had only 1 working key when I bought the car in February, so I ordered another from MINI. They mailed it to me, but it wasn't programmed for my car. So I went out and followed the directions above. It worked perfect for the new key, but suddenly the old key wouldn't work anymore. I kept trying the procedure and eventually neither key would work. So I went to the dealership and even they could only get the new key to work. They had no real explanation for why the old key wouldn't work. I believe their final answer was that they key was broken. How you can break it trying to program it with the procedure straight out of the BWM/MINI service manual is beyond me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Program key in R53, how?