Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical need a louder horn!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a louder horn!

i searched for some wiring diagrams, i couldnt seem to find any...im sure its been done before, i just cant get by with the stock MINI horn. a car just cut in front of me and prally laughed when i honked!

in my explorer i have 2 pairs of the Hella supertone horns, which are pretty loud...no one will expect it from the mini to say the least.

wheres the wires for the stock horn so i can tap into it, disconnect the stock horn, and hook these up? i have the relays and everything for them.

thanks guys!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
fred3
4th Gear
Hmmm. My horn seems loud enough. Never had anyone laugh. It's louder than our Caravan was and louder than our Honda is right now. Perhaps your hearing is damaged.

Just curious, but what does "prally" mean?

Old 01-01-2007, 01:39 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
probably?

my stock mini horn is a high pitched ugly sound lol...i just dont like the sound, and it doesnt do much when you need it on the road.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Do a search theres at least 2 dozen threads on this several are recent.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:33 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
I got this one...

I know what you mean by the horn just not sounding "big" enough... I added a Stebel Air Horn to the stock horn setup... Now it sounds like 2 cars honking and really gets the idiot's attention.. The wire diagram that came with it worked for me.. The best place I found to mount it was next to the ABS module in "pocket" under the cowl vent..

Side note the placed I tapped into the horn signal was up at the passenger side horn - behind the turn signal light - red wire...

Oh and use the relay setup... I read others were blowing fuses if the Stebel was pulling power from the factory horns only..

Hope that helps..

Old 01-02-2007, 02:34 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the same as BBCooper, but with an old Hella air horn. Mounted the horns in the "bucket" where the ABS unit is, using a bolt to hold the compressor to the side of the "bucket" and professionally zip-tying the horns onto the brake lines. The horn sound comes out the vent - it's loud but not super loud. If I were to do it again, I'd get Fiamme high decibel electric horns and mount 'em in the stock locations - it'd probably be louder.

I also had to rebuild and lube the compressor on mine - but mine was an old leftover horn I had lying around. A newer one would work better, be louder, and is in the works - an easy bolt-up mod now that the wiring and plumbing is done. Before zip-tying, I blew the air horns several times to be sure I'm not adding any vibration, etc to the brake lines and based on these "tests" I'm not worried.

Here are pics of my install:

I removed the OE horn and used the connector as a power tap to the relay. This "initiator" wire runs up the wheelwell following/using an existing wire loom and connects to the relay in the driver's side vent well. I "blanked off" the PS horn connector. All connections are soldered and wrapped in Scotch 33+ (The Best IMHO) electrical tape, then ziptied to be extra sure the connection doesn't unravel. Done this a few times and it lasts for over a decade:

I tapped off the fuse box with a 25A fuse (it's running a compressor, so the surge capacity is necessary). You'll also notice the relay currently located above the OE stock airbox - with enough wire attached that it can be relocated if I go with a CAI. The "live" wire then heads "north" on the photo towards the compressor on the passenger side of the car. It is secured under that "wall" by zipties to be sure it doesn't foul the wiper linkage or anything else, and doesn't rattle.

The horns themselves are ziptied here - tilted downward so they don't gather moisture. I'm considering either adding a third horn or getting rid of the longer (lower tone) horn and replacing with a higher tone (shorter) horn. The compressor is held on with a stainless bolt through the plastic "firewall". There's plenty of rooom in there.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:17 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBCooper
I know what you mean by the horn just not sounding "big" enough... I added a Stebel Air Horn to the stock horn setup... Now it sounds like 2 cars honking and really gets the idiot's attention.. The wire diagram that came with it worked for me.. The best place I found to mount it was next to the ABS module in "pocket" under the cowl vent..

Side note the placed I tapped into the horn signal was up at the passenger side horn - behind the turn signal light - red wire...

Oh and use the relay setup... I read others were blowing fuses if the Stebel was pulling power from the factory horns only..

Hope that helps..
How did you mount the Nautilus to the MINI? I've got one ready to be installed and am looking for mounting options. The two studs coming out of the firewall look promising but the mount that came with the Nautilus is meant for going through metal. I'm thinking of making a bracket out of steel or aluminum to bolt up to the studs on the MINI and then bolt to the mount for the Nautilus. Do you have any pics of your setup?

Old 01-06-2007, 06:19 PM
borrowingamini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BBCooper

Hope that helps..
Is this as loud as they claim? This site says it is VERY loud: http://erston.com/stebel.htm.

I want to get a new horn for my Armada and have been eyeing the Stebel. Is it just as loud as separate air horns? I need a BIG sounding horn for my BIG truck

Old 01-06-2007, 08:17 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
My horn in my 06 is good, but my wife's 07 is a little lacking... I have thought about these two for her car:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77573
well I just noticed the second horn is a red modelof the stebel horn

Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
i have another question.

tonight at work, they broke in some cars....monday or sometime next week, im gonna get an aftermarket alarm put on my mini, but i want to take the horns and relays i have on my explorer and hook them up with the alarm. (theyre LOUD)

hooking them up isnt a problem, its where to mount them...i cant really find anywhere to mount them...you guys got any suggestions?

i have 2 pair of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85115...ayphotohosting

Old 01-13-2007, 09:33 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Put 'em where I put the air horns on my car (pictures above), in that bin in front of the passenger side of the windshield under the vent (under the hood).

Gosh that's a long explanation for a destination!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:48 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
does water get in there or no?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I added air horns - no one laughs now!

I placed the compressor where one of original horn were (not easy for people with big fingers but can be done). The horns themselves are zip tied down at the bottom - sitting on the bottom plastic piece. One horn faces the radiator and the other the opposite direction - basically however they would go permitting the plastic bottom to be re-attached and they sit on it. They are DAM loud when standing in front of the car yet not so loud when in the cabin.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
i have another question.

tonight at work, they broke in some cars....monday or sometime next week, im gonna get an aftermarket alarm put on my mini, but i want to take the horns and relays i have on my explorer and hook them up with the alarm. (theyre LOUD)

hooking them up isnt a problem, its where to mount them...i cant really find anywhere to mount them...you guys got any suggestions?

i have 2 pair of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85115...ayphotohosting

just mount them where the stock horns are ! use the stock wiring and you won't need realys

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
I did the same as BBCooper, but with an old Hella air horn. Mounted the horns in the "bucket" where the ABS unit is, using a bolt to hold the compressor to the side of the "bucket" and professionally zip-tying the horns onto the brake lines. The horn sound comes out the vent - it's loud but not super loud. If I were to do it again, I'd get Fiamme high decibel electric horns and mount 'em in the stock locations - it'd probably be louder.

I also had to rebuild and lube the compressor on mine - but mine was an old leftover horn I had lying around. A newer one would work better, be louder, and is in the works - an easy bolt-up mod now that the wiring and plumbing is done. Before zip-tying, I blew the air horns several times to be sure I'm not adding any vibration, etc to the brake lines and based on these "tests" I'm not worried.

Here are pics of my install:

I removed the OE horn and used the connector as a power tap to the relay. This "initiator" wire runs up the wheelwell following/using an existing wire loom and connects to the relay in the driver's side vent well. I "blanked off" the PS horn connector. All connections are soldered and wrapped in Scotch 33+ (The Best IMHO) electrical tape, then ziptied to be extra sure the connection doesn't unravel. Done this a few times and it lasts for over a decade:

I tapped off the fuse box with a 25A fuse (it's running a compressor, so the surge capacity is necessary). You'll also notice the relay currently located above the OE stock airbox - with enough wire attached that it can be relocated if I go with a CAI. The "live" wire then heads "north" on the photo towards the compressor on the passenger side of the car. It is secured under that "wall" by zipties to be sure it doesn't foul the wiper linkage or anything else, and doesn't rattle.

The horns themselves are ziptied here - tilted downward so they don't gather moisture. I'm considering either adding a third horn or getting rid of the longer (lower tone) horn and replacing with a higher tone (shorter) horn. The compressor is held on with a stainless bolt through the plastic "firewall". There's plenty of rooom in there.

Hope this helps!
Gotta be loud as **** inside the car.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 AM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
thats what i was thinking lol...

also, wonder how the sound outside. they look like theyd be muffled inside that area.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Not too loud inside at all, the sound vents from the top. They're easily bas loud as stock horns, which are located in a pretty well sealed compartment behind the front bumper - also muffled.

BTW, just how loud is ****, anyway?

No water issues unless you put the horns right under the vents. I've angled them down so even if they get sprayed, no water collects there.

The stock horn location is VERY small. If you remove the front bumper cap maybe you could fit air horns or the smaller Hella / Fiamme loud electric horns in there too, but it was a bear enough just getting the stockers out without taking the bumper cap off!

Either of these would fit, but you may have to put one in each stock horn location - thankfully already wired from the factory (wouldn't have to use the included relay, but would have to connect stock wiring to the new horn terminals). Photos courtesy of Susquehanna Motorsports' eBay listing above:

Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
i have the hella supertone 85115's i think, are those the same size as the one u pictured? they look very similar (your first pic)

i have 2 pair, so actual horns total.

there is 2 stock horns? and i have to remove the bumper to get to em?

Old 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
ive also searched, how do you remove the bumper to get to the factory horns? hard?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pimpedout97x
ive also searched, how do you remove the bumper to get to the factory horns? hard?
You don't have to remove the bumper to get to factory horns. tight space but workable.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
and i can fit those Hella horns i have in there? how do i actually access the horns? from the engine bay, or under the car? it looks like its gonna be really hard :(

im getting an alarm put in too soon, and i want these to be in mainly for the siren. they just broke in some cars at work, and if they try mine one day, i want the thieves to have a heart attack when my alarm goes off

Old 01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
cartar452
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
pimpedout97x
6th Gear
niceeee

Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
I like your install better than mine! Have to check my mounting space there (may interfere with a damper and catch can).

Horns are mounted behind the bumper directly under the headlights, the spot is pictured here, where the red zipties indicate an electrical connection with the horn wiring for a horn that's no longer there: